Kyrie Irving to Boston

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
good deal to me.
both sides had went as far as they could in one direction and needed to reverse course.
CLE had dumped all possible assets to build a small, strong core... but had zero depth.
BOS had collected assets at unheard of rate and had more talent than roster slots but needed an elite player to challenge for eastern conf supremacy.

Actually think CLE is a little better for the deal right now and into the future. IT is the type of quick, scoring creator LBJ needs on the team when he hits the bench.
Jae Crowder is actually a much better shooter, rebounder and essentially player than JR Smith.
The possible #1 overall plus Kevin Love is a nice package to go get a stud big man if LBJ re-signs. If not then #1 overall is a heck of a rebuilding start coming off another long playoff run.

BOS and CLE are very good teams and primary competition to each other in the East so they made this deal expecting it was a big win for themselves, and both may be right.
While time will tell both teams were in a tight spot.
Kyrie was tired of the CLE pressure and LBJ shadow.
BOS was going to be giving away players for 50 cents on the dollar because they didn't fit on the roster.
Jae was ballast for them with the star talent behind him in the high lotto kids.

Going forward imho the big things are what will BOS do with Marcus Smart (a player I personally love from being local but also his style of game) and what will CLE do with that Nets #1 pick.
While LA is obviously the better team, there is a possibility (however I wouldn't consider it a probability) that with the WC so strong and so many teams in the EC in tank mode, that LA's pick could wind up actually higher. The weakening of the EC may have put a dent in that Nets pick in that it may not be a forgone conclusion that they will have one of the top slots in the lottery.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is rookie GMing from the Cavs. You dont make this trade without digging into IT's health with an accurate enough picture of what you are getting.

We can afford to void this deal.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If they want another pick, then they enjoy building around Brogdon and Middleton when Lebron leaves

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cavs are seeking extra compensation now.

I say send them a 2nd round pick or tell them to **** off

The extent of Thomas's is pretty well known to anyone with internet access. No way they were getting the Nets pick and a fully healthy IT along with Crowder and that contract. Not when the best any other team musterd was Brogdon/Middleton.

I dont see Altman winning this stare down with Ainge. They Nets pick, not Thomas was the center peice of this trade.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Cavs are seeking extra compensation now.

I say send them a 2nd round pick or tell them to **** off

The extent of Thomas's is pretty well known to anyone with internet access. No way they were getting the Nets pick and a fully healthy IT along with Crowder and that contract. Not when the best any other team musterd was Brogdon/Middleton.

I dont see Altman winning this stare down with Ainge. They Nets pick, not Thomas was the center peice of this trade.

Agree, the Cavs are posturing, they know that they are not going to get a better deal any where else with that Nets pick and Crowder plus his CAP friendly contract.

I seriously doubt they were bringing in Isiah for more than a one and done anyway, no way can they afford to pay him a max deal.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Agree, the Cavs are posturing, they know that they are not going to get a better deal any where else with that Nets pick and Crowder plus his CAP friendly contract.

I seriously doubt they were bringing in Isiah for more than a one and done anyway, no way can they afford to pay him a max deal.
This is going kill Altmans rep around the league. He is going to lose the trust of alot of GM's

He wanted to have his cake and eat it too. Protecting the Cavs present while securing there future was just something he wasnt going to completely do given the situation. He did the best he could in that regards, but this trade is also full of potential peril for them. If that pick falls outside the top 5 this turned out to be a very bad deal for them.

Unless by some miracle Lebron decides to stay

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cavs apparently want Tatum or Brown to complete the trade. Celtics have no interest or in giving any first round pick

icup

Reaction score
boston radio is saying that this deal is going to happen one way or another, but the celtics will not trade tatum or brown. reports from cleveland suggest that you could potentially see both sides re-engage with a new deal that would still include both kyrie and thomas (and probably the brooklyn pick).

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
boston radio is saying that this deal is going to happen one way or another, but the celtics will not trade tatum or brown. reports from cleveland suggest that you could potentially see both sides re-engage with a new deal that would still include both kyrie and thomas (and probably the brooklyn pick).
You can buy IT Cavs jerseys at the NBA store lol.

I also saw a story earlier today that said the Cavs havent actually asked the Celtics for more comp

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

To me if he is playing 40 or more, there is no need for more comp.

If he doesnt look like he will or will be at 75% for playoffs, at most i would give them nominal picks ( and I'm talking 2 second rounders or one of our firsts max). If possible I would put conditions on any extra comp that Thomas does play X amount of games due to injury

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Stupid Celtics, they gave up too much for 1 player, Cavaliers got a great trade, props to the Cavaliers
This trade could wind up looking very bad for the Cavs. The Nets pick was a premium but the Celtics veiwed it as less valuable then at the beginning of the offseason. With alot of East teams in tank mode, that pick could fall out of the top 5 or 6 in what is essentially a 4 player draft. If/when Lebron leaves, this trade could easily be Kyrie for a 6th,7th, or 8th overall pick and whatever they can get trading Crowder. With IT a 1 and done, people will forget he was even part of this deal

The winner/loser of this trade will be dictated by next years lottery. If the pick lands in the top 3, Cavs win. 4 to 5 its more of a push. After 5 Cavs lose

Reaction score
This trade could wind up looking very bad for the Cavs. The Nets pick was a premium but the Celtics veiwed it as less valuable then at the beginning of the offseason. With alot of East teams in tank mode, that pick could fall out of the top 5 or 6 in what is essentially a 4 player draft. If/when Lebron leaves, this trade could easily be Kyrie for a 6th,7th, or 8th overall pick and whatever they can get trading Crowder. With IT a 1 and done, people will forget he was even part of this deal

Good point, I do not see Lebum leaving again since he is from Ohio though...