La’el ejection play clarification

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
RULE 14
SECTION 5 FOULS BY BOTH TEAMS (DOUBLE FOULS)

ARTICLE 1. DOUBLE FOUL WITHOUT CHANGE OF POSSESSION. If there is a Double Foul (3-14-1-e) during a down in which
there is not a change of possession, the penalties are offset, and the down is replayed at the previous spot. If it is a scrimmage
down, the number of the next down and the line to gain is the same as for the down in which the fouls occurred.

Exceptions:

(1) If one or more fouls by one team includes a 15-yard penalty, and the penalty for the foul or fouls committed by the other
team is for a five-yard penalty without an automatic First Down, a loss of down, or a 10-second runoff (15 yards versus
five yards), or that is not a spot foul,
the 15-yard penalty is enforced from the previous spot, and the five-yard penalty is
disregarded
. Five vs. 15 enforcement cannot be declined by the team that committed the minor foul, except as described
in (2) below. See 4-8-2-h and 14-4-9-Item 3-Exc. 1 for dead ball fouls at the end of a half.
Unfortunately, this seems to be exactly how the officials executed the penalty. Damn, no conspiracy!! It was definitely confusing, but it looks like they got it right...other than the fact that ejecting Collins was overkill, IMO.

loublue22

Reaction score
RULE 14
SECTION 5 FOULS BY BOTH TEAMS (DOUBLE FOULS)

ARTICLE 1. DOUBLE FOUL WITHOUT CHANGE OF POSSESSION. If there is a Double Foul (3-14-1-e) during a down in which
there is not a change of possession, the penalties are offset, and the down is replayed at the previous spot. If it is a scrimmage
down, the number of the next down and the line to gain is the same as for the down in which the fouls occurred.

Exceptions:

(1) If one or more fouls by one team includes a 15-yard penalty, and the penalty for the foul or fouls committed by the other
team is for a five-yard penalty without an automatic First Down, a loss of down, or a 10-second runoff (15 yards versus
five yards), or that is not a spot foul,
the 15-yard penalty is enforced from the previous spot, and the five-yard penalty is
disregarded
. Five vs. 15 enforcement cannot be declined by the team that committed the minor foul, except as described
in (2) below. See 4-8-2-h and 14-4-9-Item 3-Exc. 1 for dead ball fouls at the end of a half.
this doesn't account for it being dead ball, that is the issue

should have been first down, 15 yards from the catch, 1st and 10

Proof

Reaction score
Sure.............it was another case of an idiot like Collins doing something stupid and getting penalized for it.

And then the homers on this forum trying every way they can to make it seem like the refs and the league are out to get us. LOL

nah. seeing as how there was particular language in the announcement (declined by rule) and no one on the broadcast or the team seemed to bat an eye i assumed there was something i was missing. Marcus Rock cleared it up.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Collins back up his teammate and it was great to see. The dude was walking backwards scared ** the whole time.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
this doesn't account for it being dead ball, that is the issue

should have been first down, 15 yards from the catch, 1st and 10

This is what I didn't understand. The referee clearly stated that the penalty was "after the play"

Maybe we'll get clarification later int he week

MarcusRock

Reaction score
It seems like they make up **** as they go. Should've probably been a late hit personal foul on WFT, and even with Collins' fight, it was after the play so it should've been tacked on after the 1st. Should've been 1st and 25 IMO, but who the F knows.
Yep and their should have been a roughing the QB flag on the same play
I forgot about that! In that case it should have been offsetting. And I'm betting Collins gets suspended too.

Hit was good. Was not late.

Dak-Hit-GIF.gif

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sure.............it was another case of an idiot like Collins doing something stupid and getting penalized for it.

And then the homers on this forum trying every way they can to make it seem like the refs and the league are out to get us. LOL
Well I think you have it wrong on both counts.
I don't think the league is it to get us, and it was a correct call, but saying that - I don't blame Collins for doing what he did. He was looking after his Qb and the circumstances at that point in the game allowed for the point to be made penalty be da**ed

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
This is what I didn't understand. The referee clearly stated that the penalty was "after the play"

The Cowboys will get a belated "apology" just like the phantom tripping calls at New England in 2019. Except this time it didn't cost Dallas the game.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Well I think you have it wrong on both counts.
I don't think the league is it to get us, and it was a correct call, but saying that - I don't blame Collins for doing what he did. He was looking after his Qb and the circumstances at that point in the game allowed for the point to be made penalty be da**ed

You said I am wrong on all counts yet you agree with me on all counts. Odd.

AS far as Collins, I love what he did too. But he took it too far and got what he deserved.

Syron

Reaction score

That's the part that confused me. In the past, it would seem like this should have been an offsides call that Dallas would then decline. Then after the play was over, Unsportsmanlike call.

That would mean that on a TD, if there was a taunting call and then an unsportsmanlike call on the defense...the offense would lose the TD.

Something seems off.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
That's the part that confused me. In the past, it would seem like this should have been an offsides call that Dallas would then decline. Then after the play was over, Unsportsmanlike call.

That would mean that on a TD, if there was a taunting call and then an unsportsmanlike call on the defense...the offense would lose the TD.

Something seems off.

Taunting and unsportsmanlike conduct are both 15 yard penalties. This rule deals with a 15 yarder vs. a less than 15 yarder double foul.