LaDanian Tomlinson is...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I'm not saying LT isn't great and the best player in the NFL right now.

It's the ever part where he's simply off base. The trappings of youth.

I think older people tend to not give the younger players enough credit. I AM old enough to remember Payton and I think LT is a better reciever.

Both have excelled despite having inferior OLs.

Both were excellent in pass protection.

Both were great recievers.

I think LT has the edge in running and recieving. He's not the blocker Payton was though.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Or, better talent because of better equiptment, better training, and more physically fit players who are bigger, stronger, and faster

And what different rules are helping RBs? WRs yes, but RBs?
Payton was in better shape in the 70's than 99% of the athletes of today

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Simple. Ask anyone who is old enough to have seen both. 3 people on this forum who have don't agree with you. No one is rushing to your aid. Clue, no one is going to either.

Don't care either. I have my opinion, you have yours.

However, I have numbers and facts to back up my opinion. You have the opinions of other posters to back up yours.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
In my mind, giving WRs the benifit of the doubt on PI calls these days does not do much for RBs.

Your grasping at straws Hostile
By all means HH, open a book and learn something.

Look at the number of 1000 yard rushers in the 90's and beyond. Look at how many there were in the 70's and early 80's.

Notice a difference? Do you wonder why? If not, you oughta.

blindzebra

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Or, better talent because of better equiptment, better training, and more physically fit players who are bigger, stronger, and faster

And what different rules are helping RBs? WRs yes, but RBs?

If rules help WRs, doesn't the defense need to use their safeties in coverage?

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Payton was in better shape in the 70's than 99% of the athletes of today

That is probably true, but the point is defenses today are bigger, faster, and stronger than in his day.

I'm not saying it had a huge impact on either player, just disputing a silly theory that the league has less talent today.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Don't care either. I have my opinion, you have yours.

However, I have numbers and facts to back up my opinion. You have the opinions of other posters to back up yours.
I never thought I'd see the day that something would be sillier than 30 yard slants.

This is in the running.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
That is probably true, but the point is defenses today are bigger, faster, and stronger than in his day.

I'm not saying it had a huge impact on either player, just disputing a silly theory that the league has less talent today.
I never said the league has less talent today.

I said Payton is the most versatile player ever.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
If rules help WRs, doesn't the defense need to use their safeties in coverage?

And yet, the league's average YPC hasnt gone up in the last 3 seasons since the new rules.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:

Also Payton didn't run out of bounds, not say LT does, he dipped his shoulder and ran over players

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
And yet, the league's average YPC hasnt gone up in the last 3 seasons since the new rules.
We're talking generations of difference and you're talking 3 seasons.

Wow.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I never thought I'd see the day that something would be sillier than 30 yard slants.

This is in the running.

And yet, every post you say something to this affect without providing anything to back up your claim. Its fine if you think Payton was better, I wouldnt mind having either, but you are doing nothing but leaning on the fact that more people agree with you.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
We're talking generations of difference and you're talking 3 seasons.

Wow.

Read the post. He said the WRs getting better rules helps RBs, and yet the RBs arent having more success sionce the new rules came into affect 3 seasons ago.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
By all means HH, open a book and learn something.

Look at the number of 1000 yard rushers in the 90's and beyond. Look at how many there were in the 70's and early 80's.

Notice a difference? Do you wonder why? If not, you oughta.

Teams didnt throw the ball near as much then as in today's pass happy league.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
And yet, every post you say something to this affect without providing anything to back up your claim. Its fine if you think Payton was better, I wouldnt mind having either, but you are doing nothing but leaning on the fact that more people agree with you.
Sigh

Like I said, the trappings of youth. If you get a chance ask someone associated with the NFL and respect their answer.

I'm going to drop this because it will go nowhere. You don't respect the history of the game the way you should. You see a great player and you make a statement. In truth I did too at your age. I was wrong, and you are too. Simple as that.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Sigh

Like I said, the trappings of youth. If you get a chance ask someone associated with the NFL and respect their answer.

I'm going to drop this because it will go nowhere. You don't respect the history of the game the way you should. You see a great player and you make a statement. In truth I did too at your age. I was wrong, and you are too. Simple as that.

More "I'm right, your wrong, live with it" posts

You're better than that Hostile, right now you are doing your best impersonation of Art.

blindzebra

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Read the post. He said the WRs getting better rules helps RBs, and yet the RBs arent having more success sionce the new rules came into affect 3 seasons ago.

They allowed DBs to contact beyond five yards in the 70's. Hand fighting went on all the time.

OL could not use their hands in blocking during the early 70's.

As for less talent.

26 teams X 53 players = 1378

32 teams X 53 players = 1696

That means there are 318 players playing today that would not be playing in 1975.

I suppose you think that expansion has made no difference in MLB either? :rolleyes:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
More "I'm right, your wrong, live with it" posts

You're better than that Hostile, right now you are doing your best impersonation of Art.
If you choose to see it that way HH, run with it.

I'll stick with a 13 year career of greatness over a young player still in his prime who could fade before he hits 13 years.