LaDanian Tomlinson is...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
I'm not the one throwing out absolutes, you are
Re-read your 1st post.

"Ever."

That's an absolute. Do you need an English lesson too?

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Gale Sayers comes to mind.

Oops.

Having never even seen film of Sayers, if he honestly was more elusive, which me thinks you are simply saying that to attempt to prove a point and I find very hard to believe, then fine, I'm wrong.

blindzebra

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
MLB doesnt have NEARLY the emphasis on physical ability as the NFL. Baseball is a much more mental game than it is physical. Comparing the physical talent of baseball players to football players is apples to oranges.

I'll spell it out for you.

It does not matter the sport, we are not talking about the physical nature of the sports, but the overall impact of having more players playing the sport.

If any sport has a certain number of teams with a certain number of players per team and they are getting these players from a certain field of potential players, when you increase the number of teams you decrease the talent base.

In baseball it means you have triple A pitchers in starting rotations, thus more offense.

In basketball it means the great players are more spread out and coaches never use those last few guys on the bench.

In football it means less quality depth, fewer subs, injuries will destroy a team's season.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Gale Sayers did things in the open field Barry Sanders could not dream of.
He did it going forward instead of side to side. He was amazing.

burmafrd

Reaction score
The roster size was increased in the 90's. I think that you were only allowed 44 back in the 70's.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Gale Sayers did things in the open field Barry Sanders could not dream of.
I'm curious as to your thoughts on Reggie Bush.

Too early to tell maybe, but he's the most electifying runner I have seen in a long long time.

blindzebra

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
The roster size was increased in the 90's. I think that you were only allowed 44 back in the 70's.

That even makes the talent disparity worse.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Jim Brown was one of the fastest runners of his day, and had tremendous power, AND was one of the first backs to be extensively used as a receiver. Barry sanders could not hold his jock in most of the facets of the game: blocking, catching the ball, etc.
Jim Brown was a Rolls Royce compared to the Yugo Barry Sanders, who was all flash and no substance- hence him being taken out often in the red zone.

No substance?

15,269 yards

109 TDs

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:

Too early to tell maybe, but he's the most electifying runner I have seen in a long long time.

Reggie Bush isnt as elusive as Sanders. He may be faster, but not more elusive

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Having never even seen film of Sayers, if he honestly was more elusive, which me thinks you are simply saying that to attempt to prove a point and I find very hard to believe, then fine, I'm wrong.
Like I just responded to Burmafrd, Gale Sayers did his moves running right at you at full speed. He played Special Teams as well as was the workhorse RB. A knee injury stopped him from being even more amazing. His impact as a rookie will likely never be matched including a 6TD game and I think 22 TDs in a 12 game season.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
I'll spell it out for you.

It does not matter the sport, we are not talking about the physical nature of the sports, but the overall impact of having more players playing the sport.

If any sport has a certain number of teams with a certain number of players per team and they are getting these players from a certain field of potential players, when you increase the number of teams you decrease the talent base.

In baseball it means you have triple A pitchers in starting rotations, thus more offense.

In basketball it means the great players are more spread out and coaches never use those last few guys on the bench.

In football it means less quality depth, fewer subs, injuries will destroy a team's season.

But there are more talented players today than in the 70s and 80s, so it all evens out.

Its a stretch even if the athletes of today were equal

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:

The most electrifying I ever saw was Bo Jackson. He had it all. If he had not got hurt or played baseball I can only imagine the things people would say about him.

Bush is a jaw dropper. He does stuff so instinctively that you can't help but be amazed. I'm anxious to see him in the big leagues.

blindzebra

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
But there are more talented players today than in the 70s and 80s, so it all evens out.

Its a stretch even if the athletes of today were equal

You have been ripped to shreds on that topic before too.

Dude, you have completely lost this debate, tuck your tail and go get a DVD about NFL history and LEARN SOMETHING.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
No substance?

15,269 yards

109 TDs
Number really impress you huh?

Barry's own father said he was no Jim Brown. He was right BTW.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
The most electrifying I ever saw was Bo Jackson. He had it all. If he had not got hurt or played baseball I can only imagine the things people would say about him.

Bush is a jaw dropper. He does stuff so instinctively that you can't help but be amazed. I'm anxious to see him in the big leagues.

The problem is, I dont think he can be a 1,000 yard back consistantly in this league. He doesnt really have a position, he is a tweener, which is great for college, but those guys dont usually do much in the NFL.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Number really impress you huh?

Barry's own father said he was no Jim Brown. He was right BTW.

I didnt say he was. I said he was a better open field runner. Brown ran over people, Sanders didnt get touched

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
You have been ripped to shreds on that topic before too.

Dude, you have completely lost this debate, tuck your tail and go get a DVD about NFL history and LEARN SOMETHING.

I have lost nothing, because there was nothing to lose. This whole thread is predicated on opinions, something you and your buddy Hostile dont seem to grasp.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
I didnt say he was. I said he was a better open field runner. Brown ran over people, Sanders didnt get touched
Re-read the rest of the post you quoted where you posted those numbers. He talked about a lot more than just yardage and TDs.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Re-read the rest of the post you quoted where you posted those numbers. He talked about a lot more than just yardage and TDs.

If 109 career TDs isnt substance, than nothing is

TDs win games, they are the most important things in football.