LaDanian Tomlinson is...

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
They allowed DBs to contact beyond five yards in the 70's. Hand fighting went on all the time.

OL could not use their hands in blocking during the early 70's.

As for less talent.

26 teams X 53 players = 1378

32 teams X 53 players = 1696

That means there are 318 players playing today that would not be playing in 1975.

I suppose you think that expansion has made no difference in MLB either? :rolleyes:

MLB and NFL are two completely different things, you cant compare them.

And did Walter Payton play in the early 70s? No, his rookie year was 1975

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Chill, HH, you know Hostile is nothing like Art.

I agree, having seen both runners, that Sweetness was the superior player.

But my dad used to insist when I weekly pronounced Peyton the best back ever, that Jim Brown had been more impressive.

It's one argument no one is gonna win, but those who saw them all will get, and deserve, the final word.

VanTheMan

Benched
Reaction score
Whether you like it or not - OJ Simpson was the best pure RB of all time...he was a Gazelle in the open field....

As for the most complete player? O wise it was Jerry Rice D Wise LTaylor hands down.
Terrell Davis got robbed of his career and may very well have been the best ever.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
If you choose to see it that way HH, run with it.

I'll stick with a 13 year career of greatness over a young player still in his prime who could fade before he hits 13 years.

Any player could fade, Peyton Manning could fall off the face of the Earth. Randy Moss could never catch another pass. However, its highly unlikely.

You cant base things like that on "well, maybe he wont be that good much longer".

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:

But my dad used to insist when I weekly pronounced Peyton the best back ever, that Jim Brown had been more impressive.

It's one argument no one is gonna win, but those who saw them all will get, and deserve, the final word.

I know, thats why I said hes better than that. But the point is, Art's entire existence is "I am right and you are wrong, it doesnt matter what logic and facts say".

And this thread was just a statement, an opinion from me. I never asked to be agreed with, but Hostile claiming I'm wrong without providing anything to back that up is silly.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
VanTheMan said:
Whether you like it or not - OJ Simpson was the best pure RB of all time...he was a Gazelle in the open field....

As for the most complete player? O wise it was Jerry Rice D Wise LTaylor hands down.
Terrell Davis got robbed of his career and may very well have been the best ever.

The best pure runner ever was Barry Sanders, and it isnt close. If O.J. was a gazelle, then Barry the speed of light.

blindzebra

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
MLB and NFL are two completely different things, you cant compare them.

And did Walter Payton play in the early 70s? No, his rookie year was 1975

They changed the blocking rule in 76 or 77 I believe.

And yes you can compare the impact of expansion across different sports, you are just afraid to do it, because it blows up your argument.;)

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
They changed the blocking rule in 76 or 77 I believe.

And yes you can compare the impact of expansion across different sports, you are just afraid to do it, because it blows up your argument.;)

MLB doesnt have NEARLY the emphasis on physical ability as the NFL. Baseball is a much more mental game than it is physical. Comparing the physical talent of baseball players to football players is apples to oranges.

blindzebra

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
The best pure runner ever was Barry Sanders, and it isnt close. If O.J. was a gazelle, then Barry the speed of light.

There was football before 1990 you know.

But hey, you would not put Jim Brown in your top 10 players of all time, so what should we expect?

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
There was football before 1990 you know.

But hey, you would not put Jim Brown in your top 10 players of all time, so what should we expect?

If Jim Brown had 11 defenders and no blockers in front of him, he would get 10-15 yards because it would take all 11 to tackle him

If Sanders was faced with that situation, he may very well go into the endzone untouched.

Jim Brown was certainly a better between the tackles player and more complete, but Sanders was the better runner.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:

Let him rant. He can have the final word. When someone throws out absolutes and ignores History it isn't worth the time. No matter what you bring up he'll dsicount it, because that's what he does. Doesn't matter how foolish it is.

It's deja vu.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
HH, Barry had the much superior moves. But OJ had the best on field speed I have ever seen.

Again, it's an argument that can't be won with official times, or stats of any kind.

You had to have seen both in action over time, and seen how they made defenders miss, who they could evade and who they could not, and how many of their accrued yards were given to them and how much earned.

jem88

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
If he was ahead in one or two categories, that would be one thing

But being ahead in every tangible offensive statistical cetegory speaks volumes.
Seriously guy, seeing how you never watched Payton play, you should probably defer to those who did.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jem88 said:
Seriously guy, seeing how you never watched Payton play, you should probably defer to those who did.
You're talking to a wall. I speak from experience.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
HH, Barry had the much superior moves. But OJ had the best on field speed I have ever seen.

Again, it's an argument that can't be won with official times, or stats of any kind.

You had to have seen both in action over time, and seen how they made defenders miss, who they could evade and who they could not, and how many of their accrued yards was given to them and how much earned.

I'm not talking about speed. I'm talking about the ability to make people miss and get to the endzone. If there was one man in the history of this planet who was shiftier or more elusive than Sanders, I'd love to meet him.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Jim Brown was one of the fastest runners of his day, and had tremendous power, AND was one of the first backs to be extensively used as a receiver. Barry sanders could not hold his jock in most of the facets of the game: blocking, catching the ball, etc.
Jim Brown was a Rolls Royce compared to the Yugo Barry Sanders, who was all flash and no substance- hence him being taken out often in the red zone.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
I'm not talking about speed. I'm talking about the ability to make people miss and get to the endzone. If there was one man in the history of this planet who was shiftier or more elusive than Sanders, I'd love to meet him.
Gale Sayers comes to mind.

Oops.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Let him rant. He can have the final word. When someone throws out absolutes and ignores History it isn't worth the time. No matter what you bring up he'll dsicount it, because that's what he does. Doesn't matter how foolish it is.

It's deja vu.

I'm not the one throwing out absolutes, you are

burmafrd

Reaction score
Gale Sayers did things in the open field Barry Sanders could not dream of.