La'el Collins excited for first NFL game

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree...fundamental football. If you can run, run. If you need to pass, pass. I strongly believe in the play calling so far even from last season.

I'll tell you...it takes a TEAM to FIGHT and overcome all the mess that the Cowboys got themselves in, and a good taste, a good lesson like that winning the game, gives confidence to a team that they can overcome.

But, the eagles are not going down without a fight. But, the Cowboys want a fight too!

Hey I think it is great the Cowboys fought back and won vs NY given the sloppy play I think it does build a never say die confidence within the team. On the other hand I would just as soon they clean up their play and lay the wood on Philly this weekend. You don't want to put yourself in the situation they did with NY too often.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I agree, Collins has something to prove. To everybody that passed on him

The dude got jacked! Big time!

And, like his mother said something like this..."I would not like to be in his way..."! Plus, the devotion that the Cowboys showed him, I'm sure he wants to give something back...and I believe he will.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Bern is starting, but Collins will get some reps, according to Fox Sports.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Hey I think it is great the Cowboys fought back and won vs NY given the sloppy play I think it does build a never say die confidence within the team. On the other hand I would just as soon they clean up their play and lay the wood on Philly this weekend. You don't want to put yourself in the situation they did with NY too often.

Well, like another poster said, this really was the first time we saw the 1st team play together. We did not see that in preseason....so the game was rusty at first. But, yeah, if they brain fart like that again, the could lose. But, then again, that is the nature of a game...someone has to lose.

rockj7

Reaction score
WHEN Collins plays against Cox and wins, he'll never be on the bench again. Not if. Now's that's calling a shot. Own it, man! LOL.

Your right bro sorry about the if. I Dont mind the correction from my Zone brethren

rockj7

Reaction score
The LSU fan in me believes Collins has the talent to back up your two predictions but he still must win this battle and the others ahead of him. *fingers crossed*

As a USC fanatic I dont mind if a Trojan and a Beaux Bengal man that left side right next to a Wisconsin badger

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I don't know, bro? Romo might have to throw for more than 7 times this game...you know? His back and things....

Oh my goodness- 7 throws?
God help us all.

nuclear-blast.gif

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
As a USC fanatic I dont mind if a Trojan and a Beaux Bengal man that left side right next to a Wisconsin badger

So? You mean that the Cowboys have a Trogan that has to watch over a bengal and a badger? Those are some mean animals!

TheFinisher

Reaction score
this was posted by Bob Sturm after the Texans pre-season game;

By the way, some fans need to relax on La’el Collins. Some emailers have even asked me if he is a bust and want to know why he hasn’t taken over the guard spot as was suggested in this space. Listen, the Cowboys already believe that A) Ron Leary was part of a great offensive line in 2014 and has done nothing to lose his spot and B) it is a healthy thing to make a rookie earn his promotion and to wait his turn. I have no problem with either, but that doesn’t make me think for a second that Collins isn’t the better player. He is. And it really won’t be close when it is said and done. Leary is solid. Collins was the best OL prospect in the 2015 draft. His ceiling is much higher, but the Cowboys are going to let things develop at their natural speed. I have no problem with that at all. What a luxury to have.

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/2015/09/sturm-the-morning-after-cowboys-21-texans-14.html/

Sturm, like many of us, believe Collins is the best LG on the team RIGHT NOW. And there was nothing we saw during pre-season to alter that feeling. I understand that the Cowboys wanted to bring him along slowly and felt that they had the depth to ease him in, but now with Dez Bryant going down we need to get back to being that dominant smash mouth offensive line. Put this beast in the lineup and don't look back. There will be some growing pains along the way, but by December we will be better for it.

Again, the beat writers in New York have maintained that he wasn't going to get past the Giants at 9 before the controversy. This kid is a STUD. I know Leary has been the good soldier and has some experience with the guys, but Collins has another level of upside that Leary can only dream about.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Collins is a better pass blocker than Berny at this point?

People like to create narratives. We all want Collins to be the next great OL, but we have not seen anything yet to indicate that Collins is currently better than Bernadeau.

Playing Collins next to Weems in the preaseason made it impossible to know who was at fault on the failed attempts to block stunts which happened multiple times.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/2015/09/sturm-the-morning-after-cowboys-21-texans-14.html/

Sturm, like many of us, believe Collins is the best LG on the team RIGHT NOW. And there was nothing we saw during pre-season to alter that feeling. I understand that the Cowboys wanted to bring him along slowly and felt that they had the depth to ease him in, but now with Dez Bryant going down we need to get back to being that dominant smash mouth offensive line. Put this beast in the lineup and don't look back. There will be some growing pains along the way, but by December we will be better for it.
There were multiple failed attempts to block stunts between Collins and Weems in the preseason. It's impossible to know how much was Collins fault and how much was Weems fault.

I'm fairly certain some of it was on Collins. The Guard has to make enough contact with the DT to prevent him from slamming into the OT from the side and Collins did not do that on some occasions.

JDSmith

Reaction score

Again, the beat writers in New York have maintained that he wasn't going to get past the Giants at 9 before the controversy. This kid is a STUD. I know Leary has been the good soldier and has some experience with the guys, but Collins has another level of upside that Leary can only dream about.

Garrett will play the best guy. If Leary was starting then Leary was the best guy. Sturm doesn't know as much as the coaching staff, so I don't really care who he thinks should start. Collins may get his chance now, but it's not as if the coaching staff has held him back somehow.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett will play the best guy. If Leary was starting then Leary was the best guy. Sturm doesn't know as much as the coaching staff, so I don't really care who he thinks should start. Collins may get his chance now, but it's not as if the coaching staff has held him back somehow.

Now who's being naive, Kay?

conner01

Reaction score
Bern is starting, but Collins will get some reps, according to Fox Sports.

That's the smart move
Bernie may not be as talented but he has seen what the Eagles are going to throw at him, Collins has not

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, because the coaches aren't interested in putting the best team out there.

Often times coaches are reluctant to trust younger players. Miles Austin emerged out of necessity. Why didn't they start him at the beginning of the year?

To let the coaching staff think for you is just not something I'll ever be a part of. We've had some horrific coaches here over the years. The GM is a fraud. His top assistant is his chubby son. I'll never bow to their decisions as if they're experts. I'll think for myself, thank you very much.

BTW, the moment La'el Collins signed here, he was the best LG and RT on the roster.

JDSmith

Reaction score
Often times coaches are reluctant to trust younger players. Miles Austin emerged out of necessity. Why didn't they start him at the beginning of the year?

To let the coaching staff think for you is just not something I'll ever be a part of. We've had some horrific coaches here over the years. The GM is a fraud. His top assistant is his chubby son. I'll never bow to their decisions as if they're experts. I'll think for myself, thank you very much.

BTW, the moment La'el Collins signed here, he was the best LG and RT on the roster.

Sure, because you have all of the same information and expertise they have - oh wait, no you don't. But I'm sure you saw some clips of training camp live. You call it thinking for yourself, I call it delusions of grandeur.