La'el Collins Thread - Cleared post 767; visited Cowboys - 05/06/15

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He might be better than Free (though who would have thought Scandy could hold off Mo) all I am saying is Free is better than Leary and Collins seems like he will make a better OG than OT right away.

I respectfully disagree..

Leary is better then Free imo.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Free looked god awful in 2013 and had to rotate with Parnell he was so bad. He didn't look good until an All-Pro RG was next to him and they slid both Frederick and Martin his direction on protection. This is also the guy that had to take a significant paycut to stay and received half the contract Parnell just got. Free is a solid player on a great OL and nothing more.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. The negative on our line in 2013 was Ronald Leary who had a -9.4 grade, even THAT was decent. Doug Free did just fine in 2013.

Not surprised by the super talented "eye test" from fans though.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree..

Leary is better then Free imo.

I like Leary and think he's a road grader in the running game, but I think he's the weakest link right now in pass protection. Doesn't mean he won't get better, though.

All this figuring out where Collins would play would be a nice problem to have.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Jerry get him signed and let him compete, either he wins LG or RT go with the best 5. Hell trade free if he beats out free. I am sure someone out there needs a good RT that is signed for 2 years. Though I think it is easier on a rook to start at one of the guard positions because you can get help to cover small mistakes.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I like Leary and think he's a road grader in the running game, but I think he's the weakest link right now in pass protection. Doesn't mean he won't get better, though.

Biggest issue is that knee, every year it is roll of the dice.

HardHittin'Witten

This ain't Madden
Reaction score
Oh wait he's prob using the cowboys to set a market :\

SNL_1350_09_Debbie_Downer.png

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Biggest issue is that knee, every year it is roll of the dice.

Which is why I don't think Dallas plans to sign him to a long-term deal. The team is being very cautious with guaranteed money and I don't think the Cowboys will want to give it to a player with a serious knee issue that could take him out at any time.

Reaction score
Jerry get him signed and let him compete, either he wins LG or RT go with the best 5. Hell trade free if he beats out free. I am sure someone out there needs a good RT that is signed for 2 years. Though I think it is easier on a rook to start at one of the guard positions because you can get help to cover small mistakes.

FWIW, Gil Brandt thinks he projects as a guard and not a tackle,,, which is fine by me, anyplace he can fill in is a good thing.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You silly guys. "Let him compete". Lol, like NFL teams really mean that when they say it.

Collins will be about 1 week into training camp before starting.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score

So everybody will be offering him the max. It really comes down to who can sell him that their situation is best for him. I think we have as good an argument as any. He's from Louisiana. The only team closer to him is the Saints. Maybe he's a die-hard Saints fan and always wanted to play for them. But if that was the cased, he wouldn't have planned interviews with other teams. And he would have a chance to win one of two starting jobs on the best O-line in the league. Only way I could see him not wanting to play here is if we didn't guarantee him a starting job and someone else did. It's possible.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
His first contract will be used to max his second contract. Why risk going to a team that isn't constantly in the spotlight and risk going unnoticed?

We have the best Oline in the league and we can also sell Parnell's 32m dollar contract after playing a limited role with the best line in the league. This is a no brainer for him.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Confused why the title of the thread says, "to visit Cowboys 1st", when he has already visited with the Bills and even met with some Dolphins players.

Plankton

Reaction score
So everybody will be offering him the max. It really comes down to who can sell him that their situation is best for him. I think we have as good an argument as any. He's from Louisiana. The only team closer to him is the Saints. Maybe he's a die-hard Saints fan and always wanted to play for them. But if that was the cased, he wouldn't have planned interviews with other teams. And he would have a chance to win one of two starting jobs on the best O-line in the league. Only way I could see him not wanting to play here is if we didn't guarantee him a starting job and someone else did. It's possible.

Every team will offer him 3 years, likely fully guaranteed. It's all about the opportunity.

Deep_South

Reaction score
Collins said if he was drafted after the 3rd round he wouldn't sign.