La'el Collins Thread - Cleared post 767; visited Cowboys - 05/06/15

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I'm officially really excited. If we get Collins all worries about RB will be over. Hell, I could probably run for 1,000 yards behind the monsters we would have in the middle. Collins-Fred-Martin :bow:

I think it would be the opposite. If we get Collins, I would want us to get AP. Not having to invest in another player, we could afford to get AP pretty easily.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
I honestly don't know much about this guy. Could someone please give me a mini summary on the excitement?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I honestly don't know much about this guy. Could someone please give me a mini summary on the excitement?
Broaddus had him as his 17th best player (2nd best OL)
Broaddus' writeup from Star Magazine:

La'el Collins
LSU • SENIOR HT: 6-4 • WT: 305 • AGE: 21
40-Yard Bench Vertical Broad 5.14 21 27” 9’

SCOUTING REPORT: Played as the Tigers’ left tackle. Powerful man. Works to finish his block. When he gets in trouble he will become overextended and lunge. Able to adjust to the line games. Is in far better control going inside as opposed to working to his outside. Hands tend to go outside the frame. Was able to get some nice push on Dante Fowler of Florida. Able to seal the corner to allow the running back to the outside. Has to be careful when defender pulls him forward with his balance. Is one of those linemen who plays with upper body power and he works to climb the block as he pushes. Will have snaps where he is off balance. Will carry his hands low in pass pro. Can push his man wide. Tends to catch blocks more than punch. Can adjust to sudden movement. Might have to play inside or at right tackle. DID YOU KNOW? He’s essentially a lock to go in the first round, but there is plenty of debate about where Collins should line up as a pro. He started 13 games at left guard as sophomore, before starting the last 26 games of his career at left tackle. COMPARISON: James Carpenter, New York Jets It might not always look pretty with Collins, but similar to Carpenter, he consistently gets the job done and offers position versatility.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Broaddus had him as his 17th best player (2nd best OL)
Broaddus' writeup from Star Magazine:

La'el Collins
LSU • SENIOR HT: 6-4 • WT: 305 • AGE: 21
40-Yard Bench Vertical Broad 5.14 21 27” 9’

SCOUTING REPORT: Played as the Tigers’ left tackle. Powerful man. Works to finish his block. When he gets in trouble he will become overextended and lunge. Able to adjust to the line games. Is in far better control going inside as opposed to working to his outside. Hands tend to go outside the frame. Was able to get some nice push on Dante Fowler of Florida. Able to seal the corner to allow the running back to the outside. Has to be careful when defender pulls him forward with his balance. Is one of those linemen who plays with upper body power and he works to climb the block as he pushes. Will have snaps where he is off balance. Will carry his hands low in pass pro. Can push his man wide. Tends to catch blocks more than punch. Can adjust to sudden movement. Might have to play inside or at right tackle. DID YOU KNOW? He’s essentially a lock to go in the first round, but there is plenty of debate about where Collins should line up as a pro. He started 13 games at left guard as sophomore, before starting the last 26 games of his career at left tackle. COMPARISON: James Carpenter, New York Jets It might not always look pretty with Collins, but similar to Carpenter, he consistently gets the job done and offers position versatility.

Thank you, sir.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He is a top 20 ranked player that is available as a UDFA. That's really about the extent of it. He was not ranked #1 overall and he's not the greatest OL ever which you might think after looking at this thread, but if you can get a 1st round pick of any sort for Free, it would be an incredible accomplishment.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Someone is going to give him a shot at RT. And if that's what he wants, that's where he's going. So the amateur scouts in this thread saying he's an OG, you might be right. But that doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is what Collins wants and if he wants a starting gig as an OT, then that's where he's going.

It sounds like you're ruling out the possibility that he could start at RT in Dallas?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There might be some inside info on the Leary knee problem that we're not privy to. And it's true that Leary had a couple of games last year that were sub-par as he was battling a groin injury.

But look at the Houston game and his performance against Watt -- he didn't look at all like a weak link then.

I'm hoping his heart is still with the 'Boys, and his brain gets the concept of his inevitable success with these line-mates, and the possibility of being historic.

I saw Leary look great again Watt and the Texans and then look like a total liability against Fletcher Cox and the Eagles.

He's a good lineman, but he can definitely be upgraded upon and replaced.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
It sounds like you're ruling out the possibility that he could start at RT in Dallas?

Yeah, Doug Free is the snizit.

I think the Dolphins might be the stiffest competition and they have LT Branden Albert and last year's 1st round RT Ju'Wuan James. Other teams have guys too.

cowboyvic

Reaction score
Collins is going to be a New York Giant. Goodell and Mara will make sure of it. if not the Giants, it's anywhere but Dallas.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It would be great to get him but I think it is highly unlikely we will. LT is the money position and in Dallas he would be behind Tyron who should be the start LT for many more years to come.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
I saw Leary look great again Watt and the Texans and then look like a total liability against Fletcher Cox and the Eagles.

He's a good lineman, but he can definitely be upgraded upon and replaced.

Right, and if he takes a back-up role, then his career might be extended a bit.

Collins hopefully doesn't see Leary or Free as obstacles, and signs with the team that he grew up dreaming of playing for -- Dem 'Boys.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
It would be great to get him but I think it is highly unlikely we will. LT is the money position and in Dallas he would be behind Tyron who should be the start LT for many more years to come.

As an udfa it wouldn't matter what position on oline he'd go for now. Max he can get is 3 years 1.57 million. Only better he can get if it's fully guaranteed.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Right, and if he takes a back-up role, then his career might be extended a bit.

Collins hopefully doesn't see Leary or Free as obstacles, and signs with the team that he grew up dreaming of playing for -- Dem 'Boys.

If he's a Cowboys fan, how could he see Doug Free as an obstacle?

Speed Bump maybe?

BoysWin

Reaction score
If collins comes here he will make an insane amount of money on his next contract- why? We have the best O-line in football. His tape is going to look even better playing next to Tyron and Frederick or next to Martin.

It would be easyfor him to shine here. Not to mention that our o-line is the modt talked about line of the last 10 years.

Was voted team captain and was recipient of the Charles McClendon Award (most outstanding player on the team). LSU coaching staff credited him with 222.5 knockdown blocks in his 45-game career.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
As an udfa it wouldn't matter what position on oline he'd go for now. Max he can get is 3 years 1.57 million. Only better he can get if it's fully guaranteed.

True but why would he not want to go to a club where he can play LT and have a chance to earn a much bigger contract? I looking at this as a fan of football not a Cowboy fan. If I'm in his shoes I'm looking for the place that I have the best chance to start at a position that is the highest paid spot on the OL