La'el Collins Thread - Cleared post 767; visited Cowboys - 05/06/15

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
multiple sources said there was a dez video also.

look, maybe he is. could be he changed his mind. lots of things could be.

however, to prance around like a victory parade cause of a few tweets just seems a bit premature to me. but hey, if fun, prance on, mcduff.

Yeah, but I heard the same rhetoric yesterday too.

"No way he would come to Dallas."

"No way he'd be interested in playing here."

Blah, blah, blah.

And now, lo and behold, multiple sites and reports are stating that the very first visit the player himself actually makes is to Dallas.

I don't know how many sources saying it are 'enough' for it to be true?

This news is another great sign and a real reason for optimism.

And I'm optimistic that the best line in the league is about to get even better.

:thumbup:

tm1119

Reaction score
I'm officially really excited. If we get Collins all worries about RB will be over. Hell, I could probably run for 1,000 yards behind the monsters we would have in the middle. Collins-Fred-Martin :bow:

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Yeah, but I heard the same rhetoric yesterday too.

"No way he would come to Dallas."

"No way he'd be interested in playing here."

Blah, blah, blah.

And now, lo and behold, multiple sites and reports are stating that the very first visit the player himself actually makes is to Dallas.

I don't know how many sources saying it are 'enough' for it to be true?

This news is another great sign and a real reason for optimism.

And I'm optimistic that the best line in the league is about to get even better.

:thumbup:

you're right. i was also told he was not interested in dallas. he had a visit and it could have just been the polite thing to do as not to "burn bridges". we'll see and who knows, maybe he saw something he did like during the visit.

i'm still putting $5 on miami. >g< (and i'd be glad to lose at 4:1 odds if he does wind up in dallas)

perrykemp

Reaction score
Seeing as how this team needs a long term solution at RT, I imagine they made the most attractive offer possible and pointed out that there is a starting position for which he would be the front runner to win. Unless they told him he was better suited to be a guard, or he wants to be a left tackle, there's no reason he wouldn't end up here after checking in with other teams.

I think a lot of it has to do on whether or not they are willing to commit to him starting this year. This would obviously mean a demotion or cutting Free or Leary.

If the Cowboys can't commit to starting him, he'll look at the money he'll make with other clubs where he'll likely start all 16 games and realize he'll make almost 2x elsewhere in year 1 because he would collect upwards of $400K of NFL Performance bonuses that he'll only be eligable for if he starts all the games.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The more I'm watching of his game film, the more I'm seeing him as a LG. Nowhere do I see instant RT, I'm not even sure he has the right skillsets to be a RT in the league. I think he could be an elite LG though.

If we sign him, have him battle it out with Leary in camp and groom Chaz Green behind Doug Free.

tm1119

Reaction score
I think a lot of it has to do on whether or not they are willing to commit to him starting this year. This would obviously mean a demotion or cutting Free or Leary.

If the Cowboys can't commit to starting him, he'll look at the money he'll make with other clubs where he'll likely start all 16 games and realize he'll make almost 2x elsewhere in year 1 because he would collect upwards of $400K of NFL Performance bonuses that he'll only be eligable for if he starts all the games.

You're out of your mind if you think Ron Leary is starting over Collins at LG. It wouldn't even be a competition.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you're right. i was also told he was not interested in dallas. he had a visit and it could have just been the polite thing to do as not to "burn bridges". we'll see and who knows, maybe he saw something he did like during the visit.

i'm still putting $5 on miami. >g< (and i'd be glad to lose at 4:1 odds if he does wind up in dallas)

And I think "we got this!"

I think he came here first because he wants to come here most.

And unless there was something preventing us from signing him, we will sign him.

Reaction score

I bet Jerry would make that committment if that is what it took to seal the deal.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The more I'm watching of his game film, the more I'm seeing him as a LG. Nowhere do I see instant RT, I'm not even sure he has the right skillsets to be a RT in the league. I think he could be an elite LG though.

I agree with you, I think LG is his best fit too. And I think it's in the Cowboys' best interests if he plays there too.

But I do whatever it takes to sign him.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I agree with you, I think LG is his best fit too. And I think it's in the Cowboys' best interests if he plays there too.

But I do whatever it takes to sign him.

It's also worrisome that he seems to give up a lot at the end of plays and looks lazy to me. I don't see Frederick, Martin, and Free allowing him to play like that though. He better give 100% effort on every play until the whistle is blown.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I would have rather taken him in the 7th rather than the Germany kid.
He wanted someone to draft him after the second round. If that had happen, he could refuse to sign and re-enter the NFL draft next year.

This is exactly why nobody drafted him. He made his intent clear before the draft.

Cowboys22

Reaction score

He reportedly grew up a huge cowboys fan so how could he not be interested in playing for Dallas. I understand perfectly that he will choose to go where it's best for his career, but I can't believe for a second that he would just dismiss Dallas for whatever reason. If Jerry can sell him on being part of this OL and promise to make him financially whole as soon as the rules allow, he may very well be a Cowboy.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
And I think "we got this!"

I think he came here first because he wants to come here most.

And unless there was something preventing us from signing him, we will sign him.

Agree. There is definite interest on his part. He can visit any NFL team he wants and he chooses the Cowboys first. hmmm...me likey.:) Hopefully Gregroy is putting on the full court press to have him here since a couple of folks said they were friends and have the same agent.

I still think Carolina could be the dark horse favorite. They can offer him a chance at LT and Turner is on the team and they are a contender to make the playoffs being in the NFC South. Would be shocked if Buffalo has a chance.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's also worrisome that he seems to give up a lot at the end of plays and looks lazy to me. I don't see Frederick, Martin, and Free allowing him to play like that though. He better give 100% effort on every play until the whistle is blown.

I don't have any problems with his effort level.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He's going to fail if he goes to a team to be LT/RT. I expect whatever team to signs with to let him go to FA when his contract is up if he sticks with either of those positions.

Even with Green being, basically, a one year starter; he looks far more natural at the tackle position than Collins. I say tell him he can battle for the RT/LG position here with the mindset that he's a guard.

Sydla

Reaction score
Someone is going to give him a shot at RT. And if that's what he wants, that's where he's going. So the amateur scouts in this thread saying he's an OG, you might be right. But that doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is what Collins wants and if he wants a starting gig as an OT, then that's where he's going.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
You're out of your mind if you think Ron Leary is starting over Collins at LG. It wouldn't even be a competition.

There might be some inside info on the Leary knee problem that we're not privy to. And it's true that Leary had a couple of games last year that were sub-par as he was battling a groin injury.

But look at the Houston game and his performance against Watt -- he didn't look at all like a weak link then.

I'm hoping his heart is still with the 'Boys, and his brain gets the concept of his inevitable success with these line-mates, and the possibility of being historic.