Video: La'el Collins vs Raiders

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
I didn't watch the game yesterday but why did everyone seem to be panicking about the O-line? All I've heard is that Collins has looked like a massive upgrade at RT and Cooper has been one of our best OL this year. What am I missing?

In preseason, it always leaves a bad taste in your mouth when the starters are pulled and they're behind on the scoreboard. That's all it is.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
It's really early, but it looks like I was really wrong about Collins ability to play tackle.

It seems most of his struggles at LG were due to being uncomfortable in his role.

Putting him on the edge and letting him get after it has yielded great results.

I'm still concerned his lack of length will hurt him at times when going against players like JPP, but he's more than holding his own against Mack.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
OK, so this guy's lovefest for Collins is over the top, but seriously, do people really want to compare the clips above to what Free did a year ago? This is a clear upgrade.

OL troubles yesterday totally were a result of Chaz Green playing guard. The experiment is over, he can't do it, leave him as swing tackle if he is healthy and put Cooper in there. Looney is interior backup.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I didn't watch the game yesterday but why did everyone seem to be panicking about the O-line? All I've heard is that Collins has looked like a massive upgrade at RT and Cooper has been one of our best OL this year. What am I missing?

Because of a legion of fans that do not know how to evaluate beyond stats. They saw the 3 penalties --two of which I thought were bad calls-- and have no idea what they are seeing on the field.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It's really early, but it looks like I was really wrong about Collins ability to play tackle.

It seems most of his struggles at LG were due to being uncomfortable in his role.

Putting him on the edge and letting him get after it has yielded great results.

I'm still concerned his lack of length will hurt him at times when going against players like JPP, but he's more than holding his own against Mack.

JPP has 34.75" arms. Collins has 34.25" arms. It's not that significance of a difference.

Sure there are guys that have 36" arms and the like but they give most everyone trouble. Collins's arms are fine for RT.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

People are panicking because Lael Collins slapped the Oakland passrushers silly in the face and was called for a penalty - which I thought was weak but otherwise fair call.

He also was called for a holding penalty not because he got beat. But because his hand went around the neck passrusher for a split second. But was able to recover, push his man down onto the turf and sit on him like a playground bully beating on a girl.

Collins dominated and kicked some butt. All of the calls were weak calls. I'll take that over Doug Free any day of the week.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
People are panicking because Lael Collins slapped the Oakland passrushers silly in the face and was called for a penalty - which I thought was weak but otherwise fair call.

He also was called for a holding penalty not because he got beat. But because his hand went around the neck passrusher for a split second. But was able to recover, push his man down onto the turf and sit on him like a playground bully beating on a girl.

Collins will be fine. He's an upgrade from Doug Free.

How bout Cooper? Is there any reason to be concerned that he won't be about as good as Leary was?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Collins will be fine. He's an upgrade from Doug Free.

One hands to the face clearly hits the shoulder and not the helmet. When I look at that hold on Collins I think back to the noncall in the playoff.

C2oZHDcWgAUN0N8.jpg

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
One hands to the face clearly hits the shoulder and not the helmet. When I look at that hold on Collins I think back to the noncall in the playoff.

C2oZHDcWgAUN0N8.jpg

Collins should not have been called for the hold. Yeah Irving not only was held. He was mugged, molested and gang tackled in the worst way possible and the refs looked the other way.

I just rewatched the Giants against the Browns. If there is anyone that gets away with massive amounts of holds is Eric Flowers. No once did the Giants get called for holding. By halftime Cleveland was charged with at least 5 holding penalties.

Refs are getting paid by someone. I suspect Mara.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
How bout Cooper? Is there any reason to be concerned that he won't be about as good as Leary was?

I don't recall him playing. I think this game Green took most if not all the snaps.

However, Cooper dominated in the Colts game. So I'm pretty comfortable with him taking over in the starting role.