Video: La'el Collins vs Raiders

Sydla

Reaction score
Again, as I said in the game thread and elsewhere, when you watched the game, the one thing that should have stuck out if you didn't have an agenda was that Collins was not getting beat.

His penalties were discipline issues not penalties such as a ton of holding and false starts because he was getting whipped.

Now the penalties have to be cleaned up because they are unacceptable but overall, Collins showed the skill to be able to play RT.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Green was fine at guard. The only bad play was where he didn't come off the double and pick up the DT looping around the scrum. That was a recognition issue and resulted in a sack.

I don't get the need to put down one lineman in order to pump up another. Both Green and Collins played well outside of a couple of plays. (Green let a DT get inside of him to make a tackle from behind to bring down Zeke for a short gain, and Collins didn't sustain his blocks on a couple of run plays where his man helped limit Zeke to short gains.)

Green didn't hold any of his blocks, had poor recognition and overall just didn't look great. Cooper was much better. Collins was much better than Green. And as usual, Green couldn't stay in the game.

Reactions: BAT

haleyrules

Reaction score
Ignore them. Ol has been really good they are by far the least of our worries. Not sure what some of these guys see in a game, but that OLine has given Dak and rest of Qb's an eternity on most passing plays and have opened some gapping holes in the run game.
This post seems about right from what l've watched.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
How bout Cooper? Is there any reason to be concerned that he won't be about as good as Leary was?

I only finished going back over the first half in this one, watching Cooper, Green and Collins closely. Cooper is a different type player than Leary so it's hard to judge whether he'll be as good. He absorbs defenders instead of jolting them, so how good he plays depends on his ability to mirror and slide and keep his lower body in good position to maintain leverage.

Every lineman has to do that to an extent, but the ones who jolt defenders can win the leverage battle off their punch. Cooper has to win with positioning/technique.

The good news is that he hasn't lost very often. There have been a few running plays this preseason where he's lost to leverage battle and his man made the play, and that one pass play Saturday that I mentioned in a previous post illustrates what can happen if he fails to get positioning.

The difference between him and Green is that Green, like Leary, attacks the defender with his hands and Cooper catches the defender with his. I prefer Green for this reason, but he's unreliable because of his health.

Right now, watching them both, I'm not overly concerned about either, or Collins. I think some of the expectations are higher than what we actually got from Leary and Free.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I haven't seen anything that tells me that Green is better than Cooper at LG, but I will say that the coaching staff's insistence on playing Green at LG and having Cooper play Center during the preseason tells me that they aren't as high on Cooper as I am. They may be trying to get Green playing time so they can have 7 O-Linemen active on game day instead of 8 and they may be trying to get Green snaps so he can build up his stamina. But, I still tend to think they are more pro-Green than they are pro-Cooper.

YR

I think Green has a higher ceiling because he plays with more power. I think this is what the coaching staff sees. It appears to me that they are about even in their play as the starting guard, but I do have some concerns about Cooper's "softer" style. I don't know if it is sustainable, but so far, he's had very few issues with it.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Green didn't hold any of his blocks, had poor recognition and overall just didn't look great. Cooper was much better. Collins was much better than Green. And as usual, Green couldn't stay in the game.

The only thing I agree with you on is that Green couldn't stay in the game. Otherwise, we were not watching the same player. I went back and closely examined Green, Collins and Cooper in the first half and Green had absolutely no problem sustaining his blocks.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
The only thing I agree with you on is that Green couldn't stay in the game. Otherwise, we were not watching the same player. I went back and closely examined Green, Collins and Cooper in the first half and Green had absolutely no problem sustaining his blocks.

Check several of Zeke's runs, he had a hole and Green's guy tripped him up from the back side.

visionary

Reaction score
JPP has 34.75" arms. Collins has 34.25" arms. It's not that significance of a difference.

Sure there are guys that have 36" arms and the like but they give most everyone trouble. Collins's arms are fine for RT.

I agree Collins is an upgrade
JPP will be a huge test though

Ken

Reaction score
Again, as I said in the game thread and elsewhere, when you watched the game, the one thing that should have stuck out if you didn't have an agenda was that Collins was not getting beat.

His penalties were discipline issues not penalties such as a ton of holding and false starts because he was getting whipped.

Now the penalties have to be cleaned up because they are unacceptable but overall, Collins showed the skill to be able to play RT.
He shows the skill to be the best RT in the game...jmo of course.

canters

Reaction score
What gives you the idea Green is better than Cooper at the guard position? How will they take advantage? They have good DEs but I don't think we have to worry about their interior Dline. Cooper will do just fine.
Green has better legs at this point, IF he can go, since Cooper has had lower extemity injuries in the past that hurt him in space. We both likely will go to see Copper a lot this year. I don't see BooBoo Green playing on a consistent basis.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Check several of Zeke's runs, he had a hole and Green's guy tripped him up from the back side.

There was one run where Green's man slanted inside of him and beat him off the snap to dive and tackle Zeke from behind. Cooper has given up at least one similar play. (I think there was a second one, but this is counting all of Cooper's snaps as the starting left guard.) Those blocks are difficult for the left guard because the DT has inside leverage of the run going right. They have to either beat the DT off the snap to get leverage or do enough with their punch to slow him down until the back gets through the hole.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
JPP has 34.75" arms. Collins has 34.25" arms. It's not that significance of a difference.

Sure there are guys that have 36" arms and the like but they give most everyone trouble. Collins's arms are fine for RT.

Dang, I got short arms.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Green is not a guard. Period. If healthy is a good tackle. But it's been a HUGE if to this point.
Cooper will be fine. Just hope the team gives him all the reps going forward

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Jason Peters
Joe Thomas
Donald Penn
Sebastian Vollmer

All have shorter arms than Collins.

Why is everyone obsessing over JPP like he's LT?

Jason Peter is actually a really nice comparison for Collins. I hope he has a similar career.

I don't think anyone is obsessing over JPP. He's just in the division and a pretty good player with tough physical attributes to contend with.

He lines up at LDE now & Collins will be facing him twice a year. Only natural to bring him up.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Jason Peter is actually a really nice comparison for Collins. I hope he has a similar career.

I don't think anyone is obsessing over JPP. He's just in the division and a pretty good player with tough physical attributes to contend with.

He lines up at LDE now & Collins will be facing him twice a year. Only natural to bring him up.

I understand but it's like JPP is a freakish monster, he is a slightly more flexible Taco with less fingers.
Lael is going to be a good to very good right tackle. People need to relax.

diefree666

Reaction score

not admitting you got owned about all this 'short arms' bs?

diefree666

Reaction score
The only time short arms is a real question is when you have Trex arms like Costa had. THAT is a case where it really matters. But an inch or so? Only in some peoples fevered imagination.