Lamar Jackson requests a trade

btgboys41

Reaction score
What in the world are you trying to say in your first two sentences. Convoluted mess.

The value thing is especially puzzling. Why do you believe I value your value? Strange stuff, dude.

Google is your friend. Brown wanted out because "wanted to play in a different offense."

Surely you can find value in his own statement? He also said that he didn't feel as if he was part of things. He stated that he never felt as if he was a crucial part of things w/ the Ravens.

How's my guess doing now? Spot on? Sure appears that way.
Sorry, last post I meant to reply directly to yours.

montgod

Reaction score
There's something else about the Ravens/Jackson situation I figured out. If another team were to offer Jackson what he wants, Baltimore would not match it. They'd only match a traditional contract. That's the reason for the non exclusive tag. Had they planned on matching any and all offers, you use the Transition tag. It's a lot cheaper.
I don't agree. I think Ravens did the bare minimum to publicly show they were trying to do right by Lamar, but at the same time knowing no team would want to halt their plans/clog up their cap space to wait and see if Ravens matched. If it was transition tag, I think Lamar would have been even more irritated since it would have showed that he isn't a priority to the team's success. Cheap had nothing to do with their using that tag because they would still be getting Lamar at a significant discount than the open market rate of roughly 45mill vs the 32mill franchise tag rate.

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't agree. I think Ravens did the bare minimum to publicly show they were trying to do right by Lamar, but at the same time knowing no team would want to halt their plans/clog up their cap space to wait and see if Ravens matched. If it was transition tag, I think Lamar would have been even more irritated since it would have showed that he isn't a priority to the team's success. Cheap had nothing to do with their using that tag because they would still be getting Lamar at a significant discount than the open market rate of roughly 45mill vs the 32mill franchise tag rate.
If this is true, why not use the exclusive tag? By using the non-exclusive tag, that usually indicates there's a limit to what you'll match, and you want compensation. Or the team just prefers the two first round picks, which isn't the case here.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not true at all. They've offered him several very nice contracts. Lamar's response every time is "No, I want 250 mil all guaranteed."

He refuses to negotiate a contract.

kskboys

Reaction score
If this is true, why not use the exclusive tag? By using the non-exclusive tag, that usually indicates there's a limit to what you'll match, and you want compensation. Or the team just prefers the two first round picks, which isn't the case here.
At this point, I think they'd gladly take them just to dump this headache.

Flamma

Reaction score
I think it's clear that the Ravens do not intend to give him the Watson contract. They don't think anyone else will. But if another team does, they won't match it. That's why the non-exclusive tag. This way Jackson still has a shot, and the Ravens get compensated.

montgod

Reaction score
Not true at all. They've offered him several very nice contracts. Lamar's response every time is "No, I want 250 mil all guaranteed."

He refuses to negotiate a contract.
At this point, I don't think anyone truly knows what was actually offered besides Lamar and the Ravens vs what is being stated through assumptions via the media, podcasters, tweets, etc. I don't believe he's only asking for 250 guaranteed or nothing. That's just my opinion though.

montgod

Reaction score
Because then they wouldn't be justified since no other team can offer Lamar anything on the exclusive even though in truth, no one is going to offer him anything on the nonexclusive knowing that it will lock their cap space up just to wait and see if the Ravens don't match. I just don't understand why they don't quit and work out a trade at this juncture. They aren't helping the relationship although money usually cures all. I guess we will see what happens.

montgod

Reaction score
I think it's clear that the Ravens do not intend to give him the Watson contract. They don't think anyone else will. But if another team does, they won't match it. That's why the non-exclusive tag. This way Jackson still has a shot, and the Ravens get compensated.
They could have just as easily traded another team and actually gotten more compensation and definitely more interest imo.

kskboys

Reaction score
At this point, I don't think anyone truly knows what was actually offered besides Lamar and the Ravens vs what is being stated through assumptions via the media, podcasters, tweets, etc. I don't believe he's only asking for 250 guaranteed or nothing. That's just my opinion though.
Yes, he is.

Last offer was told by Lamar himself, 3 years 133 million, all guaranteed.

I think you're not following along very well. He's been very clear that he wants a fully guaranteed contract for more than Deshawn got. I mean, this isn't conjecture.

kskboys

Reaction score
They could have just as easily traded another team and actually gotten more compensation and definitely more interest imo.
Could they?

Go read what other teams are saying about him, and you'll change your mind.

kskboys

Reaction score
Because then they wouldn't be justified since no other team can offer Lamar anything on the exclusive even though in truth, no one is going to offer him anything on the nonexclusive knowing that it will lock their cap space up just to wait and see if the Ravens don't match. I just don't understand why they don't quit and work out a trade at this juncture. They aren't helping the relationship although money usually cures all. I guess we will see what happens.
Dude, RAVENS ARE TRYING. Lamar won't negotiate.

Flamma

Reaction score
Jackson is either going to have to play under the tag or not play at all. He wants something like 5 years 250M fully guaranteed. No one is giving him that.

The Ravens haven't even sniffed a SB with Jackson on a rookie deal. Paying him his asking price would mean the Ravens have a mentally handicapped front office. This isn't complicated. The Ravens want to win a championship. Lamar wants to bathe in gold coins.

montgod

Reaction score
Yes, he is.

Last offer was told by Lamar himself, 3 years 133 million, all guaranteed.

I think you're not following along very well. He's been very clear that he wants a fully guaranteed contract for more than Deshawn got. I mean, this isn't conjecture.
Why would he sign a 3 yr, when Kyler signed a 5 yr at an avg of 46mill per yr and 189 guaranteed? He doesn't have to get a Deshaun level contract, at least offer him Kyler level money. 3 yrs doesn't say I believe in you and value you as a qb from an organization, even though their lack of giving him weapons already makes you believe that. So for 3 yrs, keep being RB1 cause we aren't going to pay anyone around you to make you more of a dual threat and prove to us that you will stay healthy. Doesn't make sense.

montgod

Reaction score
Jackson is either going to have to play under the tag or not play at all. He wants something like 5 years 250M fully guaranteed. No one is giving him that.

The Ravens haven't even sniffed a SB with Jackson on a rookie deal. Paying him his asking price would mean the Ravens have a mentally handicapped front office. This isn't complicated. The Ravens want to win a championship. Lamar wants to bathe in gold coins.
Ravens haven't paid anyone around him except his TE. What do you expect him to do w/oft injured rbs and no name wrs? It definitely isn't complicated.

Yeah I'd hate to see him sit out. He's an exciting player to watch but I do feel like he should have forecasted this a lot earlier especially if he doesn't have an agent. Not very smart imo. but I think he just was focused on playing and being a team player on the field. At this point, I think he should get an agent and leave it to the pros on that side of things otherwise I don't see him playing at all next year w/no new deal. PCL injuries are no joke so I'm sure that's fresh in his mind regarding injuries.

Flamma

Reaction score
Ravens haven't paid anyone around him except his TE. What do you expect him to do w/oft injured rbs and no name wrs? It definitely isn't complicated.

Yeah I'd hate to see him sit out. He's an exciting player to watch but I do feel like he should have forecasted this a lot earlier especially if he doesn't have an agent. Not very smart imo. but I think he just was focused on playing and being a team player on the field. At this point, I think he should get an agent and leave it to the pros on that side of things otherwise I don't see him playing at all next year w/no new deal. PCL injuries are no joke so I'm sure that's fresh in his mind regarding injuries.
I don't disagree with you. In fact, I think most of this is a good take. The only area I'd disagree is that he is a team player. Times have changed. It's not like it used to be. He's only concerned about himself and couldn't care less about winning. It has gone far beyond greed to the point of avarice. I can't just blame the players, the owners have set the stage. It's all about, and only about money. Jackson is just unfortunate to be not good enough to get what he wants. At some point QBs will have fully guaranteed contracts. Think about it. What happens if Burrow and Herbert insist on it? What do the teams do?

kskboys

Reaction score
Why would he sign a 3 yr, when Kyler signed a 5 yr at an avg of 46mill per yr and 189 guaranteed? He doesn't have to get a Deshaun level contract, at least offer him Kyler level money. 3 yrs doesn't say I believe in you and value you as a qb from an organization, even though their lack of giving him weapons already makes you believe that. So for 3 yrs, keep being RB1 cause we aren't going to pay anyone around you to make you more of a dual threat and prove to us that you will stay healthy. Doesn't make sense.
They offered him 5 or 6 year deals, he turned them down. He's been offered Kyler money. More than Kyler money. 200 mil guaranteed.

No WR will come here. Lamar is a poor passer.

This stuff is all known. You might want to do a bit of research.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't disagree with you. In fact, I think most of this is a good take. The only area I'd disagree is that he is a team player. Times have changed. It's not like it used to be. He's only concerned about himself and couldn't care less about winning. It has gone far beyond greed to the point of avarice. I can't just blame the players, the owners have set the stage. It's all about, and only about money. Jackson is just unfortunate to be not good enough to get what he wants. At some point QBs will have fully guaranteed contracts. Think about it. What happens if Burrow and Herbert insist on it? What do the teams do?
Yeah, Jackson is the polar opposite of a team player. He's obviously a me player.

Excellent post, BTW.

kskboys

Reaction score

Why would you call him a team player when everything points toward the exact opposite?

joseephuss

Reaction score
I believe Murray got $160 million guaranteed, not $189.

Why not take a 3 year fully guaranteed contract? Play that out at a high level and then in a couple of years can negotiate for an even bigger extension while still in his 20s.