Lamar Miller latest update; Going to sign with Texans

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Was surprised Dallas was mentioned being in on Miller in the first place (if it was true). The team has said it is happy with McFadden as the starter. I expect them to pick up a backup they feel is capable of starting if McFadden's injury issues pop up and who can spell McFadden for a series or two each game.

Now, I wanted Miller, but I don't think Dallas was interested in paying much when McFadden rushed for more than 1,000 yards last year and averaged more than 4 yards per carry. Just the reality of the situation.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am more perplexed how a guy who had a so-so year last year gets a 66% raise from his previous incentive laden contract.

I thought once he got himself into shape he played well the last half of the season.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rightoh.

WTH?

Over the last few free agency periods the Cowboys have said EXACTLY what they were or were not going to do... No habla ingles? What's the problem?

The Cowboys have had the same plan for several years in a rtow now. When they come out and say they aren't signing any big time deals to big time FA's you shouldn't be surprised when that is exactly what happens. I don't see what the problem is either Michael.

Just for fun...

upload_2016-3-9_16-14-16.png

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We had to have a starting MLB. We didn't have to have a starting RB.

That's what a lot of people simply aren't getting.

When it comes to need... there ya go!

There's already a 1,000 yard back on the roster.

And now the Cowboys are suppose to go out and pay another 50% more than what Ingram received last year from NO? That's ludicrous.

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
i see a lot of "if the hole isnt there i fall down" out of him. He doesnt create his own lanes thats for damn sure, he needs big lanes to run thru which he would have here.

Neither did Murray. Remember how many times he ran into the back of his linemen? Henry can catch, run, and block. He's a beast to bring down too. I'm for EE first and Henry in the 2nd.

Sydla

Reaction score
We had to have a starting MLB. We didn't have to have a starting RB.

I'll say that I am big McFadden fan and think he gets short changed around here.

That being said, if the Cowboys really were seriously considering bringing Murray back or signing Miller (which it appears they were) that tells you what they think of McFadden - which is probably that while they got what they needed out of him, he's still a big risk to count on injury wise, etc.

I think if they were totally sold on McFadden, they wouldn't have even had a conversation with the Eagles about Murray or talked to Miller's agent. They'd just immediately look at bargain options and/or go mid to late rounds in the draft.

gimmesix

Reaction score
That's what a lot of people simply aren't getting.

When it comes to need... there ya go!

There's already a 1,000 yard back on the roster.

And now the Cowboys are suppose to go out and pay another 50% more than what Ingram received last year from NO? That's ludicrous.

Because we already have a 1,000-yard rusher, we'll probably just re-sign Dunbar and Turbin if they come cheap and then add competition in the draft.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Because we already have a 1,000-yard rusher, we'll probably just re-sign Dunbar and Turbin if they come cheap and then add competition in the draft.
And whoever we draft could easily end up as one of the league's leading rushers in 2016.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Was surprised Dallas was mentioned being in on Miller in the first place (if it was true). The team has said it is happy with McFadden as the starter. I expect them to pick up a backup they feel is capable of starting if McFadden's injury issues pop up and who can spell McFadden for a series or two each game.

Now, I wanted Miller, but I don't think Dallas was interested in paying much when McFadden rushed for more than 1,000 yards last year and averaged more than 4 yards per carry. Just the reality of the situation.

You're probably right but I think that Miller is a difference maker at the position and McFadden is "steady". When other rb from the "U" unanimously say that Miller is by far the fastest back to ever come through the doors, you have to stand up and pay attention. He maybe the difference in a 30 yard run for Dmc and a 70 yard td, we haven't had that kind of speed since Dorsett. Factoring in that he's only 24 yo and didn't carry the ball that much in Miami I thought that he'd be a great fit behind this oline. I think that you can have a stategy (like rbs are not valuable and you can get production from anyone) but you can't be so rigid as to not see unique talent.

gimmesix

Reaction score
You're probably right but I think that Miller is a difference maker at the position and McFadden is "steady". When other rb from the "U" unanimously say that Miller is by far the fastest back to ever come through the doors, you have to stand up and pay attention. He maybe the difference in a 30 yard run for Dmc and a 70 yard td, we haven't had that kind of speed since Dorsett. Factoring in that he's only 24 yo and didn't carry the ball that much in Miami I thought that he'd be a great fit behind this oline. I think that you can have a stategy (like rbs are not valuable and you can get production from anyone) but you can't be so rigid as to not see unique talent.

I think Miller being faster than McFadden is debatable, but I do agree that he's a better all-around back.

My issues with McFadden remain that he has build-up power, which limits him when he has to generate power immediately, and he isn't a good start-and-stop runner. His game is built on seeing the hole and hitting the hole with speed and forward lean ... and he'll go as far as the hole will take him. That worked fine for us for the most part last year.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
In what round? And if having a 1000 yard rusher is all you need then why are we drafting a rb, sounds like we're set.
3rd or 4th round maybe? 2015 was the first time McFadden started more than 7 games in consecutive seasons.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
My issues with McFadden remain that he has build-up power, which limits him when he has to generate power immediately, and he isn't a good start-and-stop runner. His game is built on seeing the hole and hitting the hole with speed and forward lean ... and he'll go as far as the hole will take him. That worked fine for us for the most part last year.
I think it's likely to work the same way in 2016, but it's just as likely that he misses 8 games.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Yep, Miller's contract was too much.

If they weren't going to pay Murray $6 mil a season last year, they certainly weren't going to pay Miller that amount this year.

And certainly weren't going to pay Murray $6.5M a season two years later either.

Myopia around here.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I think it's likely to work the same way in 2016, but it's just as likely that he misses 8 games.

Yes, age and injury are the main reasons we have to get a back who can be a starter.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
:rolleyes: More or less these same guys were top 5 in team yds/rush last year, with almost zero passing threat for most of the season.

If he started all season McFadden would've led the league in rushing lmao and we have people around here freaking out over a backup that ran for 4.6 ypc.

Remember when Joe Randle ran for like 5.6 ypc as a backup?