Lamar Miller latest update; Going to sign with Texans

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think a case was made for Lamar Miller. But that's just me.

I'm just disappointed. Much like I have been.

I would have like to have seen the team sign Miller... but not at those dollars when there are bigger needs (IMO) on the team.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would have like to have seen the team sign Miller... but not at those dollars when there are bigger needs (IMO) on the team.

I think there are bigger needs too, but I'm just not seeing the players available to fill them, and the options get fewer by the minute. I think Miller would have filled one for today and for the years ahead too.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think there are bigger needs too, but I'm just not seeing the players available to fill them, and the options get fewer by the minute. I think Miller would have filled one for today and for the years ahead too.

Maybe he could of... It is what it is.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe he could of... It is what it is.

After 4-12, I just can't shrug it off as easily.

And I'm already nauseous at the thought of some fans trying to sell me on how Kellen Moore and McFadden "weren't that bad!"

:angry:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After 4-12, I just can't shrug it off as easily.

And I'm already nauseous at the thought of some fans trying to sell me on how Kellen Moore and McFadden "weren't that bad!"

:angry:

LOL!

I'm halfway there. I was OK with McFadden.

None of the backups were satisfactory during the '15 season.

Sydla

Reaction score

What dollars? He got a pretty fair $14MM in guarantees. Hardly bank breaking/cap busting for the Cowboys.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What dollars? He got a pretty fair $14MM in guarantees. Hardly bank breaking/cap busting for the Cowboys.

Right now you've got a guy who gained 1,000 yards last season.

Hey I thought highly of Miller as a back, but not at that cost given the other needs of the team.

Sydla

Reaction score
Right now you've got a guy who gained 1,000 yards last season.

Hey I thought highly of Miller as a back, but not at that cost given the other needs of the team.

But the cost really isn't that bad. That's the point. They could have addressed other needs even with signing Miller.

obviously since they were talking to his agent and also called philly about Murray they were willing to find another TB besides McFadden.

Plus by not signing Miller to what was a fair deal, they still have a need at TB instead of being able to check one need off.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But the cost really isn't that bad. That's the point. They could have addressed other needs even with signing Miller.

obviously since they were talking to his agent and also called philly about Murray they were willing to find another TB besides McFadden.

Plus by not signing Miller to what was a fair deal, they still have a need at TB instead of being able to check one need off.

Oh, I think they're going to bring in another back. I just think his cost was prohibitive. That's all. He was obviously beyond the Cowboys' comfort zone. Like it, dislike it. It is what it is.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
We had to have a starting MLB. We didn't have to have a starting RB.

Our RB was ranked 4th in rushing and seemed to gain confidence as the season wore on. I'm anxious to see McFadden with a solid mid round RB sprinkled in.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He has been seriously injured 2 out of the last 3 years. It must have been tough playing with 1 arm. He must have had enough strength to show the coaches that he wasn't hurting the team by being out there. Just not enough strength to make some plays I guess.

I'm hoping he can finally have a healthy productive year. That contract isn't looking like a great investment right about now.

That's a fair and mature take... you sure your on the right site? lol.
TC98 is a heck of a player but he's yet to be a true difference maker.
We didn't pay him for past performance but paying for what's ahead doesn't always work either.

He's a hard worker with great skill. Hopefully it pans out.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Basically I am with you. But Miller isn't an every down back. Making him one would only rob him of the things he does best.
As a half-time back he could be really good but he's not 6.5m a year good. And if a back wants to play for Dallas and earn that next fat contract they are gonna need to do it at a discount.

We aren't going to pay the going rate for a back to run behind this OL. Some RB will seize the opp much like DMC last year and we will be fine.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think that's a matter of opinion. Do you want to count on McFadden staying healthy?

No, I don't, but that still doesn't negate the fact that we had a back who rushed for more than 1,000 yards while averaging 4.6 YPC. He proved worthy of starting here, so Dallas had no reason to pay another back starter money. The Cowboys have every reason to look for someone else capable of starting to protect the team in case of injury, but that's different.

Me? I'd prefer that we upgrade the starting spot, but I can't deny that McFadden starting wasn't a problem last year.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Our RB was ranked 4th in rushing and seemed to gain confidence as the season wore on. I'm anxious to see McFadden with a solid mid round RB sprinkled in.

I do think he got more comfortable with the blocking scheme. At first, he was more tentative, stutter-stepping when he needed to hit the hole and go.

Now, age and his injury history tell us that him playing in all 16 games isn't something we can count on (although he's done it two seasons in a row), so we've got to protect ourselves with some kind of running back acquisition.

Unless we pick up another vet to pair with him, I think we'll use a second- or third-round pick on the position to complement him and eventually take over the starting role.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, I don't, but that still doesn't negate the fact that we had a back who rushed for more than 1,000 yards while averaging 4.6 YPC. He proved worthy of starting here, so Dallas had no reason to pay another back starter money. The Cowboys have every reason to look for someone else capable of starting to protect the team in case of injury, but that's different.

Me? I'd prefer that we upgrade the starting spot, but I can't deny that McFadden starting wasn't a problem last year.

I can.

For all of the praise I will give McFadden and admit to being wrong, his injury history is still a cause for concern.

And, given the line in front of him, is 1,000 yards that big of an accomplishment? Especially given the fact that the offensive line had to shift from a zone to power run blocking during the season to accommodate him?

Again, that's more a testament to the line than to him.

I wouldn't say it was a 'problem' either and in fact it worked out better than I had expect, especially with all things considered. But I don't want to 'roll the dice' and hope that it works out again. McFadden was a lone bright spot in a group of one disappointment after another.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I can.

For all of the praise I will give McFadden and admit to being wrong, his injury history is still a cause for concern.

And, given the line in front of him, is 1,000 yards that big of an accomplishment? Especially given the fact that the offensive line had to shift from a zone to power run blocking during the season to accommodate him?

Again, that's more a testament to the line than to him.

I wouldn't say it was a 'problem' either and in fact it worked out better than I had expect, especially with all things considered. But I don't want to 'roll the dice' and hope that it works out again. McFadden was a lone bright spot in a group of one disappointment after another.

I don't think we disagree on concerns about him.

As far as 1,000 yards being a big accomplishment, all I ask of the position is that the starter average more than 4.0 per carry (not padded by a few big runs). McFadden did that. Who cares whether it's more a testament to the line or to him.

I also don't have a problem with shifting blocking schemes to accommodate the back that you have. It's one of the few signs we've seen that the offense is willing to adjust to the talent.

I agree that we shouldn't roll the dice on his health, but signing a bona fide, expensive starter and rolling the dice aren't the same thing. If Dallas does nothing to address the position, then it is rolling the dice. If it gets a vet to pair with him or drafts a back in the first few rounds (or both), I don't think it is rolling the dice.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think we disagree on concerns about him.

As far as 1,000 yards being a big accomplishment, all I ask of the position is that the starter average more than 4.0 per carry (not padded by a few big runs). McFadden did that. Who cares whether it's more a testament to the line or to him.

I do! Because I think an outstanding back, paired with an outstanding line could truly maximize the talents of both and produce significantly better results than we had last year.

I also don't have a problem with shifting blocking schemes to accommodate the back that you have. It's one of the few signs we've seen that the offense is willing to adjust to the talent.

Again I do. I don't think it's good that they acquired a round peg to fit a square hole and ended up drilling out the hole to fit.

I agree that we shouldn't roll the dice on his health, but signing a bona fide, expensive starter and rolling the dice aren't the same thing. If Dallas does nothing to address the position, then it is rolling the dice. If it gets a vet to pair with him or drafts a back in the first few rounds (or both), I don't think it is rolling the dice.

That would depend on who that 'other back' is, wouldn't it? The 'other backs' from last year failed miserably.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

This is incorrect (in cap terms) thinking.
Dallas has a list that looks like:
DE1:
DE3:
CB2:
CB3:
QB2:
MLB: Ro signed.
TE2:
TE3:
6th OL: Leary tagged

And you are worried about RB2 to the extent we should spend 6.5m in cap space for it?

Upgrading from DMC is purely a luxury.
A luxury this team really can't afford.

But yes they must add something to supplement and eventually replace him.