Lamb’s feet were in on the touchdown

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
THIS. So the toe tap is a sometimes rule, apparently. That is twice this season we have had a TD wiped out because of the heal issue, something I don't remember ever being an issue ever before if you tap those toes with possession.
He didn't tap his toes. He landed on the sole of his foot. The toes just happened to land first. If he'd lifted his feet off the ground before the heel touched, that would have been a toe tap

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
If you toe tap and lift your toes off the turf before landing on the sidelines, you're good for both feet down whether forward or backwards. If you try to toe tap but your heel lands on the line, it's not a toe tap, it's a step and you stepped on the line making you out of bounds. Lamb was backwards and his trailing foot actually hit the defender and deflected downward which is why the whole foot landed. So if Lamb intended to toe tap and lift his foot up before going out of bounds, the defender hitting his foot made that impossible.
Are you sure that if the toes touch down inbounds 1/100th of a second (or less) before the heel lands out of bounds, that it isn’t by definition a toe tap and the receiver not only is inbounds with the completed pass… but also gets a $1000 / toe bonus?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think he got possession and got both feet in, they showed it on the big screen in the stadium and it was pretty clear he got both feet down. Not sure what was said on TV about the ruling but I think the review official blew the call

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I don't care if his feet landed in the parking lot. The only reason that wasn't a TD....is because THE REFS and THEY'RE OUT TO GET US and what nots

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't view this play as a toe tap or toe drag. I kind of described the difference, just not a eloquently as you did.
I re-read your post and see I misunderstood part of what you were saying. My mistake

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I saw it different but it is what it is.
You didn't see the heel clearly out by several inches?

How?

In case you just haven't seen a replay and don't recall.

Lamb-Foot.jpg

Chuck 54

Reaction score
That's not the rule. The toe drag or toe tap applies when the toes are the only part of the foot that touches before falling out of bounds or taking an additional step out of bounds. If the entire foot comes down the entire foot has to be in bounds. There is not benefit of the doubt to give because there is no doubt.
Exactly….if the toe tapped and flew up in the air before the heel touched out of bounds, it would be a catch, but because the heel was out at the same time the toe was in (even though the toe touched first), it’s not a catch. It actually pairs logically with completing a catch, surviving the ground thing.

We’ve actually seen plenty of sideline catches ruled incomplete when the heel touches in bounds as the player is running, but as his foot rolls forward, his toe is on the line. It doesn’t matter that his heel was in bounds and touched first….if the toe was on the white as his step rolled forward, he’s out of bounds. This was the same ruling.

Last edited:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Are you sure that if the toes touch down inbounds 1/100th of a second (or less) before the heel lands out of bounds, that it isn’t by definition a toe tap and the receiver not only is inbounds with the completed pass… but also gets a $1000 / toe bonus?

It has to be conclusive or it'll wind up being a ticky-tack-toe bonus and end up as an X on the player's record.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
This might be the dumbest thread this board has seen, and that says a lot. Dumber than a second coat of paint, and dumber than every “Garrett is the next Landry” thread this board suffered through years ago.

Out of bounds is out of bounds.

Much like the Dez catch, it doesn't matter what happens *after* a catch has been completed.