Twitter: Lamb Blindside Block

AtomicDog

Reaction score
I think they said it was because Lamb was facing the wrong direction (towards the opposite goal line) when blocking. It looked good to me, but I guess that's the rule.
Ask Sean Lee if he wished that was the rule before.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
So if Lamb had turned his back to him and then the defender ran into him, that would make it an illegal block in the back (above the waist) based on the rules, right? :D
Yeah I guess.

Does that mean if you turn your back to the defender and bend over and kiss your butt "goodbye as he runs you over"..

Is an illegal play now.?

50 years of watching football and if you hit them from the front it ain't illegal.

He hit him from the front.

Why should it be CeeDee's fault he never turned to look?

Stupid ruling.

mrmojo

Reaction score
If Lamb follows the rules and sets a pick he would probably be penaized or if used his hands be called for holding....lose lose

Scotman

Reaction score
I thought it was a horrible call. But, I think I stand corrected. After reading, it was a good call.

droopdog7

Reaction score
What’s surprising me in this thread is the fact that people are surprised by the call. I swear this concept in the rule has been around for like five years?!?

And people arguing two different things. First, by the letter of the law this is a penalty (like it or not).

As for what a player can do, either use your hands or turn you back and block out like a bball player. That simple. I think I first saw witten make a block out block back in 2016 or so. Not new.

Zman5

Reaction score
They called a similar play on the Seahawk's WR tonight. The ex-ref on the broadcast said the rule is you can't block someone running parallel or toward your goal line.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought it was a questionable call until I heard the explanation on the broadcast.

Now I can say all plays like that will get flagged. Every single time.

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
It’s counter intuitive for players but Lamb could have simply extended his arms and “shoved” instead of the traditional block using your shoulder pad....

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
My question is what do you teach your players to do in that situation?

Anyone know?

droopdog7

Reaction score
It’s counter intuitive for players but Lamb could have simply extended his arms and “shoved” instead of the traditional block using your shoulder pad....
I don’t think counter intuitive is the right descriptor. It’s not the football I grew up with but players simply need to adjust.

droopdog7

Reaction score
My question is what do you teach your players to do in that situation?

Anyone know?
Been said many many many many times already. Block with your hands or block out like a basketball player. I saw witten block that way going back five years!

AbeBeta

Reaction score
So he can block on this but his work on Zeke's screen was awful

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
If he would've stopped moving then he likely wouldve been okay. As it was he was moving towards our goalline just a bit.