Lance: 5th Year Option Declined

Chasing6

Reaction score
Fair enough.

Just for the record.. I still think Dak gets re-signed.. nobody on here has convinced me otherwise.. not yet anyway.

Will admit I don't really know.. these coaches and FA's all getting one year deals has me questioning what is actually going on.
It would be absolutely dumb for the Cowboys to start the year with no QB signed for 2025.

However, nothing would surprise me.

I would assume whomever wins the QB2 job, would be extended.

Supposedly Trance came to Dallas because he wanted an opportunity to start. So why would he sign a new contract with back up pay, when he can become a free agent and look for an opportunity to start.

Kwyn

Reaction score
It doesn’t surprise me that fans here don’t understand why this happened or why …

Zach Wilson wasn’t picked up in Denver

Or Mac Jones in Jacksonville

Or Justin Fields in Pittsburgh

Only Lawrence was given a fifth year.

When a guy is still an unknown or unlikely to become your starter but he was a first round pick you *dont* pick up the fifth year because it’s really costly and the player is in a prove it year when they hit their fourth season.

I wish folks who talk the most would spend more time reading and watching.

Wildcat711

Reaction score
It would be absolutely dumb for the Cowboys to start the year with no QB signed for 2025.

However, nothing would surprise me.

I would assume whomever wins the QB2 job, would be extended.

Supposedly Trance came to Dallas because he wanted an opportunity to start. So why would he sign a new contract with back up pay, when he can become a free agent and look for an opportunity to start.
I agree with that.

It makes me wonder what Jerry said to him? did he say he would have the opportunity to compete for the starting position?

Motorola

Reaction score
Hypothetical question. If Lance were to somehow start this year and lead the Cowboys to the NFCCG or SB, then he would technically be a FA in 2025?
Real answer to your hypothetical question.
Regardless of what Trey Lance does this upcoming season ---
Ascends to QB1 \ Becomes QB2 \ Remains QB3
He WILL BE a free agent come 2025...unless the Cowboys negotiate a deal with him during 2024.

_sturt_

Reaction score
It's been assumed by many if not most of us that the 5th year would be declined, and/but that a very team-friendly extension would be offered at some point.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Keep telling yourself that. Even if Lance becomes QB1 after your GOAT Dak and sucked we would be in a better position with more CAP and early round picks.

With Dak all we’ve gotten is late round picks, no deep playoff runs, cap hell, and nothing to show for.
Picsart-24-03-15-21-07-52-871.jpg

Dak will soon be resigned and extended.

Are you going to be ok?

Chasing6

Reaction score
New York, Chicago, San Francisco and New England all wasted first round picks in 2021 for QBs who aren’t even on their team.
Some of those QB's actually got legit playing experience and the one that needed it the most got basically zero.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Some of those QB's actually got legit playing experience and the one that needed it the most got basically zero.
He needed college experience coming into the league. Now, here three years and he needs nba experience

Chasing6

Reaction score
He needed college experience coming into the league. Now, here three years and he needs nba experience
It was a mistake in my opinion for him to go to Dallas. He never had an opportunity to play. Niners and GM Jethro did him dirty.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Should not have sat out Covid year, but if he was forced to take the jab to play, then I don't blame him.

Kwyn

Reaction score
It was a mistake in my opinion for him to go to Dallas. He never had an opportunity to play. Niners and GM Jethro did him dirty.
No one owes these guys anything. He was drafted #3, made a fortune, was given the starting job.

He just didn’t capitalize.

I’d love to see Lance suddenly bloom
Into a legit QB. The Cowboys would love it. It’s just that no one has seen it at the pro level and even in college it was more flashes than consistent excellence.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Jerry just basically wasted a 4th rd Draft Pick just to generate some publicity, seems like a pretty expensive way to make some headlines.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Sure makes the trade seem stupid.
Not to me.
QBs cost a lot. We're getting a year long look at a 3rd pick of a draft for a 4th.
Given their ultimate cost, we should be spending more picks on QBs.
And given the timing of the trade, we were never going to pick up the option on Lance anyway. Making it official changes nothing.
If Lance can look decent in the preseason, we could easily pick up a 4th round comp pick on his way out.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Not to me.
QBs cost a lot. We're getting a year long look at a 3rd pick of a draft for a 4th.
Given their ultimate cost, we should be spending more picks on QBs.
And given the timing of the trade, we were never going to pick up the option on Lance anyway. Making it official changes nothing.
If Lance can look decent in the preseason, we could easily pick up a 4th round comp pick on his way out.
Let’s see..

Start Lance.

Or pay Dak more mega millions…..

That’s an easy one.