Lance: 5th Year Option Declined

cristglo

Reaction score
I can see them not picking up the option because of the price tag but it Makes the Pick look more Stupid by Jerry. That 4th could have helped us secure a RB

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I can see them not picking up the option because of the price tag but it Makes the Pick look more Stupid by Jerry. That 4th could have helped us secure a RB
We need a future QB1.

We got him.

J-man

Reaction score
Jerry should have flipped him for a late pick this offseason.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
It certainly looks stupid if: it didn't bring Dak to the table or we don't play him.
My guess is that the FO (if they were competent), dangle the idea that we'd be cutting Dak.
The fact there is someone (presumably) better than Rush and Dak losing out on $29m (which he isn't re-couping in 2024) at least brings France to the table.
If not Lance gets to play, Dak misses out on million $ and the Dak bidding starts again in 2025 (which we may, or may not be a part of).

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
It certainly looks stupid if: it didn't bring Dak to the table or we don't play him.
My guess is that the FO (if they were competent), dangle the idea that we'd be cutting Dak.
The fact there is someone (presumably) better than Rush and Dak losing out on $29m (which he isn't re-couping in 2024) at least brings France to the table.
If not Lance gets to play, Dak misses out on million $ and the Dak bidding starts again in 2025 (which we may, or may not be a part of).
If Dak were available before the start of this season and the team that signs him can do it with zero compensation to the Cowboys, a team would sign him and use one of many ways to pay him more than $29 million for the 2024 season. Dak becoming a free agent sooner than later is the biggest financial bonanza for France and Dak. The notion that Jerry Jones can wait and cut him at a point in time to hurt Dak Prescott is foolishness. There is absolutely no scenario where Dak Prescott is going to make less than $29 million for the 2024 NFL season. And if the Cowboys want to negotiate with France it will be when he’s available and he’ll be doing the talking. His agreement with Dak isn’t ending in March 2025.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Absolutely no way they tag him. The tag on a QB just this year is $38 million. For a guy who has never started a game?
That's most likely accurate, however it is nice having having some type of built in security blanket to keep his rights in the scenario where Dak goes down and Lance ends up pulling off a 2016 Dak type of run.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
If Dak were available before the start of this season and the team that signs him can do it with zero compensation to the Cowboys, a team would sign him and use one of many ways to pay him more than $29 million for the 2024 season. Dak becoming a free agent sooner than later is the biggest financial bonanza for France and Dak. The notion that Jerry Jones can wait and cut him at a point in time to hurt Dak Prescott is foolishness. There is absolutely no scenario where Dak Prescott is going to make less than $29 million for the 2024 NFL season. And if the Cowboys want to negotiate with France it will be when he’s available and he’ll be doing the talking. His agreement with Dak isn’t ending in March 2025.
Exactly. Teams have some some issues fitting him under the cap for 2024 this late in the offseason however the way teams do that is by paying more money up front. The Cowboys did this in 2021 when they paid him $75M but he only counted $17M against the cap. From a financial standpoint Dak would love to become a June 1st cut.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
So which team pays him north of $29m?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Exactly. Teams have some some issues fitting him under the cap for 2024 this late in the offseason however the way teams do that is by paying more money up front. The Cowboys did this in 2021 when they paid him $75M but he only counted $17M against the cap. From a financial standpoint Dak would love to become a June 1st cut.
That's the whole problem for these mythical interested teams.... Dak will only sign a one year contract. So why pay him $29m, in a year on an All-In one off .....and only have him a couple of months to get to know the offense.
Raiders appear the best option, but are they really in a position to challenge in 2024 (and/or offer Dak enough to stop him hitting the market in 2025)?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
That's the whole problem for these mythical interested teams.... Dak will only sign a one year contract. So why pay him $29m, in a year on an All-In one off .....and only have him a couple of months to get to know the offense.
Raiders appear the best option, but are they really in a position to challenge in 2024 (and/or offer Dak enough to stop him hitting the market in 2025)?
That's a good point. Even if Jerry had decided this year he wanted to trade Dak and got Dak to agree to a trade, if Dak is determined to make it to free agency then other teams are probably not interested in a 1 year rental situation.
If Dak isn't open to an extension with a new team right now it becomes a lot more difficult to fit him in under the cap.

pitt33

Reaction score
We have zero QB's under contract for 2025. I think they have to sign someone.

Maybe GM Jethro should sign him to a 5 year deal without talking to anyone about it.
They’re resigning Dak.

pitt33

Reaction score
Jerry just basically wasted a 4th rd Draft Pick just to generate some publicity, seems like a pretty expensive way to make some headlines.
Totally agree.

I highly doubt he’ll ever see the field in a regular season game.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
They’re resigning Dak.
Honest question here....why would Dak resign with the Cowboys at this point? The Cowboys are most likely lowballing him at this point, they traded for a QB last year, sat out free agency and Stephen told the fans it was primarily because of the QB contract, plus half of the fans in Dallas trash the guy non stop.

He is so close to free agency, and built his last contract in preparation for this exact scenario. I just don't see the motivation for Dak to sign anything anytime soon unless Jerry gives him the world once again.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Not picking up his option means to me that Dak is going to be extended and even if Lance shows up very well in training camp just tells me they will try to extend him for a year at something like $10 million for one year and then trade him to say the Raiders.

For everyone who wants to jettison the QBs, no option on Lance means we currently have zero QBs on the roster after the 2024 season is done. That is just not going to happen.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's most likely accurate, however it is nice having having some type of built in security blanket to keep his rights in the scenario where Dak goes down and Lance ends up pulling off a 2016 Dak type of run.
Well the team obviously must not think that is likely to happen since they were unwilling to do his 5th year option at approximately $22 million. People saying they could tag him must not realize the tag this year is $38 mil. That won’t happen.

What seems probable at this point is the Cowboys don’t see a ton of “starter potential“ for this guy. In a league literally starving for even decent QB play, it seems pretty clear Lance has not shown the Cowboys (or obviously the niners) that he is worth committing substantial cap space.

Maybe that could change if Lance lights it up in ps games (against mostly backups and guys who will never play in the NFL) but if the team really felt great about this guy they would be quick to ensure he sticks around.

And…maybe they just want to see what happens with Dak this year. If Dak has a flame out year, maybe the Cowboys will be willing to look harder at Lance. Going to be interesting.
Honest question here....why would Dak resign with the Cowboys at this point? The Cowboys are most likely lowballing him at this point, they traded for a QB last year, sat out free agency and Stephen told the fans it was primarily because of the QB contract, plus half of the fans in Dallas trash the guy non stop.

He is so close to free agency, and built his last contract in preparation for this exact scenario. I just don't see the motivation for Dak to sign anything anytime soon unless Jerry gives him the world once again.
Agree. If I’m Dak, I’m not signing an extension here at any price. It’s obvious that Dak is not “elite” but he’s as good as a Joe Flacco or Russell Wilson who won a SBs with right amount of support.

Guys like Dak, Flacco and Wilson (when the last 2 were younger) need either/or a great defense or a great running game. Dak, like those guys I mentioned will never “carry” a team. Just like Romo was never elite. His best year was 2014 when he had a great running game with DeMarco Murray.