Lance Dunbar's injury may be "career threatening"

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
That definately sucks for the kid. I hate to hear that.

I know this is more of a freak situation this time around but I do believe that these types of injuries are something that people better start getting real used to. With the new rules forcing defenders to start going low more and more you're going to start seeing devastating knee injuries more and more as the seasons go along.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Feel bad for the player but I do not get how some seem to be reacting like he is a budding superstar. Garrett had barely figured out how to use him. Hope he has a good rehabi and can compete with another player next year.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
According to Dr. David Chao, who was the Chargers team physician for 17 years.

"The Dallas running back was just beginning to emerge as a force, but now needs season-ending surgery. Dunbar suffered a contact hyperextension injury that tore ligaments including the posterolateral corner. Unfortunately, this type of injury can be considered career threatening. Pro Bowl linebacker Shawne Merriman returned to action from such an injury, but was never the same after.

Good luck to Dunbar in his surgery and rehab. The Cowboys have a top medical staff, so his chances are improved."

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Monday-Morning-MD-7957.html

I think not being on Roids anymore might of had an impact on Merriman not returning to form...

KDM256

Reaction score
Hate to hear that , hopefully Dunbar will recover...

I wonder how long is Dunbar contract with the Cowboys??

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Just wait, those Jones boys will sneek in and offer him a low ball contract and get him locked up for the next three years.

Nation

Reaction score
Merriman's last two major surgeries were for torn Achilles', so I'm not sure where they are getting this from.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
It's premature to say much of anything right now. At the very least they need to verify the injuries at the time of surgery and really they need time to see how his rehab goes. OTOH, they probably have a decent idea what they will find.

bark

Reaction score
I simply don't believe this career ending nonsense. Dr Jones told me one week

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score

"The Dallas running back was just beginning to emerge as a force, but now needs season-ending surgery. Dunbar suffered a contact hyperextension injury that tore ligaments including the posterolateral corner. Unfortunately, this type of injury can be considered career threatening. Pro Bowl linebacker Shawne Merriman returned to action from such an injury, but was never the same after.

Good luck to Dunbar in his surgery and rehab. The Cowboys have a top medical staff, so his chances are improved."

It was a stupid play call . We were running perfectly fine with just power runs and we try a draw out of shotgun . Just dumb .

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
The comparison to Merriman is ridiculous. Merriman's problem was more that he stopped taking steroids than anything else.

Completely agree. I really hope that he comes back from this though. He can be a nice piece for us.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
He cited Shawne Merriman. He wasn't the same after he got off the juice...

CaptainCreed

Reaction score

Calm down...this "doctor" was forced to resign:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/13/controversial-dr-david-chao-leaves-the-chargers/

San Diego hospitals banned him from performing surgeries at their locations because he is a drunk:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...doctor-chao-hospitals-barred-surgery/2439715/

Cannot believe anyone has not pointed this out...I will wait to hear from a real doctor about Dunbar concerning the future of his career, not going to rely on some washed up doctor who can no longer practice because he put patients at risk with his choices on the job.

jrumann59

Reaction score
The comparison to Merriman is ridiculous. Merriman's problem was more that he stopped taking steroids than anything else.

I am sure the damage the roids did to the connective tissue didn't help either.

DallasCowboysRule!

Reaction score
That sucks bad and I feel awful for Dunbar. I was really high on him and he was emerging as a real weapon. Terrible news

CaptainCreed

Reaction score
The only reason it's probably career threatening is because of our medical staff.

OP's source is "Dr." David Chao, former team doctor for the Chargers who was forced to resign because the NFLPA felt he was putting players at risks with his practicing style, aka he was drunk on the job several times from what it sounds like. Now he is no longer able to perform surgeries in two San Diego hospitals because of patient claims that they were "maimed" during surgery. Not sure if he is the best source and thus not sure if this is something to be worried about or throw dirt on our medical staff over.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Boy, that escalated quickly. The first report was that the injury wasn't serious, now we are hearing he may never play again and his career might be over. This is bad news for him. I wish him the best.