Lance Dunbar's injury may be "career threatening"

Lonestar94

Reaction score
Hope y'all enjoyed that 45 yard run... He was a one play wonder I guess...

alicetooljam

Reaction score
According to Dr. David Chao, who was the Chargers team physician for 17 years.

"The Dallas running back was just beginning to emerge as a force, but now needs season-ending surgery. Dunbar suffered a contact hyperextension injury that tore ligaments including the posterolateral corner. Unfortunately, this type of injury can be considered career threatening. Pro Bowl linebacker Shawne Merriman returned to action from such an injury, but was never the same after.

Good luck to Dunbar in his surgery and rehab. The Cowboys have a top medical staff, so his chances are improved."

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Monday-Morning-MD-7957.html

False, Dr. Jones said he'd be back in a week or so. ;) Really, thats too bad...

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Dunbar needs to go and talk to the Seahawks "medical" staff where four to six weeks miraculously turns into two.

He might have made it back by the playoffs with there staff.

hra8700

Reaction score
The comparison to Merriman is ridiculous. Merriman's problem was more that he stopped taking steroids than anything else.

Im not sure where this myth about merriman came about...he was banned for steriods for 4 games at the start of the 2006 season. He then went on to have 17 sacks in 12 games that season, and the next season (2007) had 12.5 sacks in 15 games. He injured his knee during training camp the following year (2008), had surgery and missed almost the entire season, and had 6 total sacks over the next 4 years.

His decline was 100% because of his knee injury, not because he "stopped using steroids."

Calm down...this "doctor" was forced to resign:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/13/controversial-dr-david-chao-leaves-the-chargers/

San Diego hospitals banned him from performing surgeries at their locations because he is a drunk:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...doctor-chao-hospitals-barred-surgery/2439715/

Cannot believe anyone has not pointed this out...I will wait to hear from a real doctor about Dunbar concerning the future of his career, not going to rely on some washed up doctor who can no longer practice because he put patients at risk with his choices on the job.

I am aware of his history. The fact that he allegedly had a drinking problem doesnt change the fact that he is probably among the 50 most qualified people in the world to discuss nfl injuries. Do you think he was completely incompetent during those 17 years and didnt learn a thing? He of course has not seen the imaging for dunbar in particular, but I have complete faith that posterolateral corner injuries are career threatening to nfl players based on his experience/the literature.

DuDa

Reaction score
If you watch Tracy Porter hit Dunbar's knee, it looks like he meant to hurt him. Am I the only one who noticed this? He could have wrapped him up by the ankles or thrown his shoulders into his thigh or hip but went straight for the knee.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Nobody knows if that's true or not.

Even Stevie Wonder could see Merriman was juicing.

You dont go from "lights out" sack machine that was virtually unblockable to a total scrub as fast as he did unless you stop juicing.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
If you watch Tracy Porter hit Dunbar's knee, it looks like he meant to hurt him. Am I the only one who noticed this? He could have wrapped him up by the ankles or thrown his shoulders into his thigh or hip but went straight for the knee.

The hit was low, but it was clean.

With all the emphasis on concussions and helmet to helmet hits, defensive players are being told to tackle low to avoid drawing a flag or getting fined. For example, the Titan's safety Michael Griffen was just suspended a game for going helmet to helmet tackling a TE. So teams are now telling their defensive players to go low and take the legs out instead of tackling high.

Cant say I blame them, if I was a defensive player I would not even think about having any contact with the neck or head area, I would just go low every tackle. I am sure Porter was thinking the same thing, not trying to intentionally hurt the guy.

Expect more knee and leg injuries until they change the rules again.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
mcnulty-kicks-desk-o.gif

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Perhaps the Boys might consider taking about a 5th round RB (or thereabouts) with similar traits that Dunbar has in the next draft. Seeing as how there's a chance Lance may not be the same guy upon his return, they may want to ensure having someone who's a change of pace type to spell DeMarco at times. Just a thought.

Fredd

Reaction score
To all of the comments about the medical staff...OF COURSE we have a great one, thanx to the S&C guys, the medical staff (not the training staff) have A LOT of experience with cowboys players....you want your medical team to have experience, no?

Smith22

Reaction score
Feeling really bad for Dunbar... I hope he defies the odds somehow.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Nobody knows if that's true or not.

while you can speculate why he declined, he did atleast test positive for PEDs. Not to mention his listed college weight was 240, and he weighed in at the combine at 270. Its obvious he was juicing all along.