Lance starts last game right?

Gambit

Reaction score
Right, but that means they'd have to deactivate either Dak or Rush, and I can't see either of those happening, just to let Lance play one random game out of the year. There's no good reason to give him snaps over Rush, who can actually run this offense if Dak were to get hurt. And I very much doubt they're going to deactivate Dak unless he's injured.
No, they could just go short elsewhere and carry 3 active QBs on roster, which they wouldn't do.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It's funny how the garbage can thing just became a thing this year with Dak. Eagles beat trash all reg season last year and not a word was said. Interesting
well the word was Hurts is HOF type QB, MVP type QB, Elite...I remember those accolades being thrown around.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I will be very surprised if Lance plays this year. I think he should have already played some mop up duty but perhaps they just don’t trust him enough yet?

Whatever the reason, this becomes a strange trade if we paid a 4th round pick for Trey Lance as he goes into the last year of his rookie deal without having any idea what he is. Didn’t we find out Jerry made this trade without consulting his HC?

I guess one could argue next year Cooper Rush is cut and Lance becomes the backup.
in order for him to play, he has to be primary backup. he is right now emergency QB

aikemirv

Reaction score
They see more than enough in practice and in camp next summer. There’s a reason most teams don’t value preseason games anymore. They see more than enough in practice. There’s no teason to do anything to mess with team chemistry or a hot streak.
I dont think it is about what the Cowboys see. I think with Daks play he will get signed to a 50 mill/yr deal unless there was some sort of total collapse in the playoffs. Too much financial value to the organization to not have a QB who can win you 12-13 games in the regular season. You are not going to choose to take a chance to wallow in .500 or sub.500 season. You only play him if you think he will show well to get trade value. I don't think there is any chance he has shown them enough to replace Dak.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It will be time to pull the bandaid off. Dak is making things hard again with his MVP level play. Still they need to see what they have with Lance eventually. I doubt that last game will have any significant impact in the standings. Dallas is not catching Philly so very likely a 12 win 5 seed. I truly want Lance to get the start that game.

Thoughts?
Against the lions no first of all he's not going to get the start do you guys not understand that Cooper rush needs work just in case Prescott goes down??? This is a new offense for him and he doesn't get a lot of work Cooper rush needs more work than Trey Lance... I guarantee you that no matter what the last game means or doesn't mean, Prescott will start that game there are MVP considerations there are other things that are involved as far as staying in rhythm I mean I thought this whole preseason talk you don't even understand game to game it's important to come out and start a game then come out of halftime and start then maybe you pull him but you would need to sit Cooper rush and make him the emergency guy in order to bring in Trey Lance Trey Lance literally is the emergency quarterback you can't play him unless the other two guys go down or you don't activate one and that's not happening please stop people we don't need six or seven posts begging for Lance and martavius riot to play this year....

No we do not need to see what we have in him we get to see him next preseason... The coaches know what he's doing in practice he's getting plenty of reps with the practice squad.. He's getting mental reps he's learning the offense getting comfortable with the team and they're gonna bring him along slow so we don't need the begging for one trade Lance when we have a backup quarterback that needs more work so if anybody's gonna get the work it's Cooper rush just because this year matters and it really matters to get Cooper rust throwing to a guy like tolbert and brooks more often they all need work and they need work with the better guy and right now Cooper rush is the number two guy next year he'll probably be gone and Trey Lance will get all the work he wants...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Even if we are not playing for home field, we might be playing for playoff positioning depending on what happens with Seattle. If we're at 12 wins, then most likely we can mostly play backups against Washington since the Seahawks already have five losses.
They're not starting backups in any games this year that is not what the Cowboys or Mike McCarthy has ever done Prescott has started every game that he's been healthy I don't remember him sitting any last games of the year whether they meant something or not it's called staying in rhythm for the playoffs.. And while it's not as important staying relative from all the haters I think Prescott has his own personal achievements that he wants to achieve at the same time helping the team win games and if he's in the MVP race he has every right to start that game for one to stay in rhythm so starting Washington and the lion game is very important and beating a team with a winning record if the lions with a winning record that would be important...

I think people missed the point that Cooper rush needs more work than Trey Lance he literally is the next guy up and he needs every snap he can get and Prescott is gonna be very stingy on when he wants to come out of a game and again about the rhythm I don't think this guy or maybe some of you don't understand it you're there are people around here that are upset they didn't play in the preseason you think that they should skip the last game of the year and get out of rhythm no that's not how a pros like it they wanna be in a rhythm they wanna wake up do to eat the same thing take the same ride to the stadium they wanna start the game and they wanna come out of halftime and at least start the first series that would keep you in rhythm so unless there's major injuries these dudes are starting every game now they gonna come out earlier, yes... But as far as Lance getting in that's not happening I don't see it happening hey I may have egg on my face but I just don't think he's gonna be in the game you can't put this type of guy in mop up duty unless he's the number two and that's not gonna happen cause Prescott will start every game this year if he's healthy Cooper rush will be the next guy in that leaves Lance out sorry guys this whole Lance parade thing needs to stop

Trey Lance will be fighting for a job at #2 next year in training camp...... He will have most all the preseason snaps that we need to see whether he's gonna be ready to be in #2... I don't know what the fantasy draw this guy is having that we need to see him so much that people keep asking for him it's ridiculous he won't be next year's possibility for the number two quarterback...

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Does everyone need to be reminded of what has to occur, in order for Lance to play?
You mean we have to have our playoff seed locked? Or are you talking about if Dak gets injured?

I kinda think Lance could operate pretty well in this current system Dak is managing even if Dak WERE to get hurt....

But...that's definitely an educated guess

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
They're not starting backups in any games this year that is not what the Cowboys or Mike McCarthy has ever done Prescott has started every game that he's been healthy I don't remember him sitting any last games of the year whether they meant something or not it's called staying in rhythm for the playoffs.. And while it's not as important staying relative from all the haters I think Prescott has his own personal achievements that he wants to achieve at the same time helping the team win games and if he's in the MVP race he has every right to start that game for one to stay in rhythm so starting Washington and the lion game is very important and beating a team with a winning record if the lions with a winning record that would be important...

I think people missed the point that Cooper rush needs more work than Trey Lance he literally is the next guy up and he needs every snap he can get and Prescott is gonna be very stingy on when he wants to come out of a game and again about the rhythm I don't think this guy or maybe some of you don't understand it you're there are people around here that are upset they didn't play in the preseason you think that they should skip the last game of the year and get out of rhythm no that's not how a pros like it they wanna be in a rhythm they wanna wake up do to eat the same thing take the same ride to the stadium they wanna start the game and they wanna come out of halftime and at least start the first series that would keep you in rhythm so unless there's major injuries these dudes are starting every game now they gonna come out earlier, yes... But as far as Lance getting in that's not happening I don't see it happening hey I may have egg on my face but I just don't think he's gonna be in the game you can't put this type of guy in mop up duty unless he's the number two and that's not gonna happen cause Prescott will start every game this year if he's healthy Cooper rush will be the next guy in that leaves Lance out sorry guys this whole Lance parade thing needs to stop

Trey Lance will be fighting for a job at #2 next year in training camp...... He will have most all the preseason snaps that we need to see whether he's gonna be ready to be in #2... I don't know what the fantasy draw this guy is having that we need to see him so much that people keep asking for him it's ridiculous he won't be next year's possibility for the number two quarterback...
I agree that Lance won't start even if our playoff spot is set, but I do think he could play in the last game if that's the case. I think Rush is what he is at this point. He's a cerebral player whose arm is not going to get any stronger. I think Lance needs the reps more. I could see Prescott playing a half in the finale with Lance being given the second half. He badly needs the game reps.

Proof

Reaction score
The MVP level play is only because of the garbage can teams Dak has been beating up on. As far as Lance is concerned, if playoff seeding won't change whether they win or lose, sure, let Lance get some game time and let Dak rest for his one and done playoff game.
interesting, you only don’t want dak to play if seeding won’t change or there are no stakes. which would imply you do want him to play if there are. it almost seems as if … no, couldn’t be

blueblood70

Reaction score
I agree that Lance won't start even if our playoff spot is set, but I do think he could play in the last game if that's the case. I think Rush is what he is at this point. He's a cerebral player whose arm is not going to get any stronger. I think Lance needs the reps more. I could see Prescott playing a half in the finale with Lance being given the second half. He badly needs the game reps.
All three would have to be 100% active for that to happen I believe the rule is

the only way Lance can come in would be if both players got hurt not sat down if hes an inactive em 3rd qb... We will not see Trey Lance, I almost guarantee it..98% lead pipe lock ;) .. Rush still needs the work ,again it's a new offense we have a bunch of new players on it and our backup needs all the work he can get,.... Y'all are insane with this Lance and Martavius Bryant and all these guys you want brought up they will not see the light of day they are emergency players.

we have so many other players that are deserving of snaps that could use the snaps...

Proof

Reaction score
So knocking Purdy out of the game doesn't count. And hanging 35 on that Chiefs defense is pretty solid. Consider when Dak played the Chiefs on the regular season he led the team to 3 FGs. I hate the Eagles but they have earned respect where the Cowboys with Dak haven't earned it yet.
lol no knocking purdy out doesn’t count towards who hurts faces / beat. neither does putting up 35 in a losing effort (especially when his fumble was likely the biggest play of the game) the sb performance was impressive no doubt … but they lost. and that doesn’t build any good will round these parts

Proof

Reaction score
'Runwildboys' - a number of members don't know (other than Cowboys games/seasons - they don’t bother with being abreast of league rules, guidelines, etc.)
- other CZers just want to keep the narrative going = stir the pot...to see a tantalizing step take place to fuel the speculation fires for next season.
However -- the person who pulled the trigger on the Lance trade has the power to make it happen.
("Hello Mike..can't congratulate you enough on this great season so far!
By the way...since we have our playoff berth \ position wrapped up...
I'd like to see #15 get his feet wet in the last game - or two?
You know...let Trey experience on the field what being a Quarterback for America's Team feels like...just sayin'."
that would hold water if there weren’t several paths allowing for lance to play that have been explained and discussed repeatedly. are you abreast of the rules?

gimmesix

Reaction score

the only way Lance can come in would be if both players got hurt not sat down if hes an inactive em 3rd qb... We will not see Trey Lance, I almost guarantee it..98% lead pipe lock ;) .. Rush still needs the work ,again it's a new offense we have a bunch of new players on it and our backup needs all the work he can get,.... Y'all are insane with this Lance and Martavius Bryant and all these guys you want brought up they will not see the light of day they are emergency players.

we have so many other players that are deserving of snaps that could use the snaps...
I think if we have our playoff spot wrapped up, we could move Lance up to No. 2 for that game because we're not worried about needing to win it. I just don't agree with you on Rush. Rush has six career starts and has thrown 232 passes in regular-season games. Lance has thrown 102 in four starts coming off a college career coming off a college career where he started 16 games and threw 318 passes. Rush started 50 games in college and threw 1,648 passes. Lance needs the work in regular-season NFL games much worse.

kskboys

Reaction score

Then why did we trade for him?

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think if we have our playoff spot wrapped up, we could move Lance up to No. 2 for that game because we're not worried about needing to win it. I just don't agree with you on Rush. Rush has six career starts and has thrown 232 passes in regular-season games. Lance has thrown 102 in four starts coming off a college career coming off a college career where he started 16 games and threw 318 passes. Rush started 50 games in college and threw 1,648 passes. Lance needs the work in regular-season NFL games much worse.
That's OK bookmark this because I bet you don't see Trey Lance this year unless there's a major emergency... I know how coaches think and I don't care what happened in college or what happened last year or what even happened in preseason Cooper rush will get most of the work with this team in this new offense I cannot stress that new players new offense Cooper rush needs to work...

DakotaReign

JaBoy
Reaction score
I agree on Dak and the team as a whole. Bad teams but they are pounding on them. To me outside of a big playoff run I am not extending Dak. He will have to be lights out in the playoffs to even entertain the discussion.
And who, pray tell, are you going to get to start for the Dallas Cowboys who are currently in a contending position for Super Bowl berth that’s better than Dak.

Or you’re telling me you’ll let a franchise QB walk for nothing in Return, but compensatory draft picks? Am I understanding your plan correctly?

blueblood70

Reaction score
And who, pray tell, are you going to get to start for the Dallas Cowboys who are currently in a contending position for Super Bowl berth that’s better than Dak.

Or you’re telling me you’ll let a franchise QB walk for nothing in Return, but compensatory draft picks? Am I understanding your plan correctly?
Yeah I think fans need to be reminded of all those really bad seasons with really bad quarterbacks

they're in love with the idea of another quarterback without thinking of the repercussions and how long you might be bad searching for another quarterback I guess they didn't see the bottom 16 teams in the league for decades they can't find a starter and what do they do?

They gonna make really dumb trades for guys like Russell Wilson and deshaun Watson and look what happened with Aaron Rodgers

the grass is not always greener on the other side it's more like MetLife field it's got a bunch of potholes in it look out be careful what you wish for people you wanna be bad just so you can say you're not paying back anymore so you're happy he's not taking up salary cap because somehow it it's affecting your personal bank account? I believe that's what fans want they like picking in the top five of the draft they think you could just build a new team instantly like there's a blueprint get a new GM get a new quarterback and get a new head coach and instantly you win a Super Bowl no questions asked it's a guarantee lead pipe lock get rid of your top ten quarterback..for??

LOL whatever the team decides to do I'm on board with it because I have no control and no say but trying to get rid of a quarterback in his prime would be like what happened with Romo but that was because of an injury but 2014 Tony Romo seemed to be hitting his prime as far as peaking and comfort and just taking what opposition was sending at him much more under control and much comfortable this is where we're at with a healthy Prescott... I think the fan base got spoiled because when you go from Romo to Prescott they forgot about the 12 years and the 14 bad quarterbacks between Troy and Romo...

And correct with a no trade clause or if your Prescott becomes a free agent you're getting nothing you don't have those extra draft picks people can pick up and trades like people did with Russell Wilson deshaun Watson and Rodgers they got draft picks for those guys... So I'm not sure how you worked that out and Prescott says no I'm not allowing myself to be traded then you can't trade him you have to play him at least for 2024 then he becomes a free agent he has no franchise tag and a no trade clause... I guess if they walked in and asked him where he wanted to go and seek out a trade and then we could get a first round pick for him and maybe a third and a fourth or something like that but is it worth it I mean you could use those to climb up how high from this year we're gonna end up with twelve wins so we're going to go from 25 to 5 to get a good quarterback that's no guarantee he's gonna make it in the NFL...

Fans
:facepalm:

gimmesix

Reaction score
That's OK bookmark this because I bet you don't see Trey Lance this year unless there's a major emergency... I know how coaches think and I don't care what happened in college or what happened last year or what even happened in preseason Cooper rush will get most of the work with this team in this new offense I cannot stress that new players new offense Cooper rush needs to work...
It may be a moot point since we don't know if we'll be in position to not take that last game seriously. Even if we're not fighting for home-field advantage, we might be fighting for the fifth seed to ensure we go to the AFC South winner first instead of San Fran or Philly.

But I do agree with you that Dak will play in that last game some no matter what since McCarthy seems to take the approach of having the healthy starters play at least a little.