Lance starts last game right?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will be very surprised if Lance plays this year. I think he should have already played some mop up duty but perhaps they just don’t trust him enough yet?

Whatever the reason, this becomes a strange trade if we paid a 4th round pick for Trey Lance as he goes into the last year of his rookie deal without having any idea what he is. Didn’t we find out Jerry made this trade without consulting his HC?

I guess one could argue next year Cooper Rush is cut and Lance becomes the backup.

Motorola

Reaction score
Does everyone need to be reminded of what has to occur, in order for Lance to play?
'Runwildboys' - a number of members don't know (other than Cowboys games/seasons - they don’t bother with being abreast of league rules, guidelines, etc.)
- other CZers just want to keep the narrative going = stir the pot...to see a tantalizing step take place to fuel the speculation fires for next season.
However -- the person who pulled the trigger on the Lance trade has the power to make it happen.
("Hello Mike..can't congratulate you enough on this great season so far!
By the way...since we have our playoff berth \ position wrapped up...
I'd like to see #15 get his feet wet in the last game - or two?
You know...let Trey experience on the field what being a Quarterback for America's Team feels like...just sayin'."

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
'Runwildboys' - a number of members don't know (other than Cowboys games/seasons - they don’t bother with being abreast of league rules, guidelines, etc.)
- other CZers just want to keep the narrative going = stir the pot...to see a tantalizing step take place to fuel the speculation fires for next season.
However -- the person who pulled the trigger on the Lance trade has the power to make it happen.
("Hello Mike..can't congratulate you enough on this great season so far!
By the way...since we have our playoff berth \ position wrapped up...
I'd like to see #15 get his feet wet in the last game - or two?
You know...let Trey experience on the field what being a Quarterback for America's Team feels like...just sayin'."
And Rush comes up limping!

Toro9

Reaction score
I think they'll approach it like any other game at first, but maybe a sit a few starters. Lamb might not play, Parsons would be very limited. I just pray they keep the starting OL in every a snap Dak takes.

I'd like to see Lance but they probably want any extra game reps for Rush.

RS12

Reaction score
I doubt Lance plays and I dont want to get into the reasons why, Will be an interesting off season here is all i will say.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
I don't think Lance plays a single snap until he's had a full off season under his belt.

conner01

Reaction score
If there is no seeding to play for at all then I wouldn’t mind Lance getting the start. I have no illusions that he will be better then Dak, but if he looks decent or flashes some potential it would be both important for a potential backup here or a potential trade, though I doubt we are gonna get a 4th out of a trade with only one game on display.
So you want to rest a hit QB the week before the most important game? I might make him the backup if the game doesn’t matter but no way I’m sitting my QB a whole week before the playoffs

Whyjerry

Reaction score
He doesn’t need to start the last game to see what he’s got.

You can go back and watch some SF tape with him at QB. That should answer any questions you have.
Players don’t develop in your world I guess.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Lance was already traded to the Cowboys. Dak will be extended, guaranteed, and Lance will be traded. Lance was a highly speculative insurance policy and now he is a cap liability.
I don't see it, they are already talking about extending him. They have up a 4th for him, what on earth do they expect back at this point? As for extending Dak, I am not convinced they do so unless he gets them far in the playoffs. Otherwise, next year will be his last as the team as it stands now is as good as it will be for the foreseeable future

Kevinicus

Reaction score
But either Dak or Rush would need to be inactive, and one of them would probably need to be injured for that to happen.
If the game was meaningless enough to start Lance, plenty of guys could be inactive, including Dak, Lamb, Martin, Parsons, etc.

Mcsports

Reaction score
If he is active on game day, nothing.
For some reason fans on here think Lance will always and can only be designated as the third/emergency quarterback.
Dallas can change that designation from week to week if it so chooses.

nobody

Reaction score
If the Cowboys secure the division by game 16, then game 17 if they decide to rest Dak, it should be Rush that gets to play simply to give him more experience/play time in the chance of the horrible circumstance that Dak gets hurt in the playoffs.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
For some reason fans on here think Lance will always and can only be designated as the third/emergency quarterback.
Dallas can change that designation from week to week if it so chooses.
Right..."if"...but I don't think they'll have Lance start over Rush, just to see what he can do.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I get wanting to play with the new toy but from what MM was saying Lance is still deep in the fundamentals. Specifically, his footwork and how his timing was coming along. This is before you get to the offense itself. He is nowhere near ready for prime time.

Good news is MM is pretty good at developing QB and according to his latest presser, the biggest mistake he made was getting out of the QB room and he wouldn't make that same mistake again.

I expect next season the narrative will be whether or nor Lance can beat out Rush for the backup spot. We will once again have reason to watch the third and fourth quarters of preseason games.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
The MVP level play is only because of the garbage can teams Dak has been beating up on. As far as Lance is concerned, if playoff seeding won't change whether they win or lose, sure, let Lance get some game time and let Dak rest for his one and done playoff game.
I don’t disagree Dak has been tearing up bad teams. But, Tua - another QB in the MVP discussion - just had a 3-turnover game against a similarly bad team.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Lance will not play until next preseason barring any kind of injury to Dak or Rush. I get seeing what he’s got but this is not the season.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Trey is 7 years younger. I don't think it behooves us to play him right now. Sitting behind Dak and Cooper is good for his career trajectory and I think we're hoping to resign him reasonably. Right now would a team realistically throw money at him? Too big of a risk, so I don't think playing him extra helps our cause.

Gambit

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the new rule is that the third QB can only play if the other 2 are injured.
Unless he is active on game day roster. The 3rd QB can be inactive emergency QB plays only if other 2 are injured. If he is active he can play without the injuries prerequisite

Amarillofan82

Reaction score
I don't see it, they are already talking about extending him. They have up a 4th for him, what on earth do they expect back at this point? As for extending Dak, I am not convinced they do so unless he gets them far in the playoffs. Otherwise, next year will be his last as the team as it stands now is as good as it will be for the foreseeable future
They might be forced to negotiate Daks contract and extend for a few years because he has a huge cap hit next year. Otherwise he gets till end of 2024 season before we can even think about moving on. (60mil cap hit if released at end of this season.) I hope he steps up in the playoffs and we want to extend him, but even if it becomes the "time" to say bye. It won't be before 2024 (unless a trade happens??!?)

Saying all of that. Rush is gone next year, and Lance becomes the back-up, and they want him to learn till next year and sit him.