Lance starts last game right?

pansophy

Reaction score
I will be very surprised if Lance plays this year. I think he should have already played some mop up duty but perhaps they just don’t trust him enough yet?

Whatever the reason, this becomes a strange trade if we paid a 4th round pick for Trey Lance as he goes into the last year of his rookie deal without having any idea what he is. Didn’t we find out Jerry made this trade without consulting his HC?

I guess one could argue next year Cooper Rush is cut and Lance becomes the backup.
Only way Lance sees the field this year is if Dak is injured. I know half the board wants Dak gone but given that he is second in QBR and probably 1st the last 5 weeks that’s really not happening. Only way Lance sees the field is if are committed to moving on without Dak or want to know how much leverage we have for the next contract

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Unless he is active on game day roster. The 3rd QB can be inactive emergency QB plays only if other 2 are injured. If he is active he can play without the injuries prerequisite
Right, but that means they'd have to deactivate either Dak or Rush, and I can't see either of those happening, just to let Lance play one random game out of the year. There's no good reason to give him snaps over Rush, who can actually run this offense if Dak were to get hurt. And I very much doubt they're going to deactivate Dak unless he's injured.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Right, but that means they'd have to deactivate either Dak or Rush, and I can't see either of those happening, just to let Lance play one random game out of the year. There's no good reason to give him snaps over Rush, who can actually run this offense if Dak were to get hurt. And I very much doubt they're going to deactivate Dak unless he's injured.
It doesn’t have to be a QB deactivated to place Lance on the active list, they can carry three active QB’s. It can be anyone like secondary, OLine, WR, etc. It will never happen though unless injury concerns.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It doesn’t have to be a QB deactivated to place Lance on the active list, they can carry three active QB’s. It can be anyone like secondary, OLine, WR, etc. It will never happen though unless injury concerns.
I thought the 3rd QB has to be an "emergency" QB, only to be used if the other 2 get injured.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Still they need to see what they have with Lance eventually.

Thoughts?
Thoughts are simple. No matter how many times you post this, it isn't going to happen.

He isn't ready. Doesn't matter if you like it. Doesn't matter if you agree. That's just the way it is.

It was true when the made the trade. It is true now. It will be true the last game of the season.

NEXT YEAR.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I thought the 3rd QB has to be an "emergency" QB, only to be used if the other 2 get injured.
No, the 3rd QB can be active on game day but it takes away one position player and there probably won’t be an emergency QB listed. Those three QB’s would be free to play whenever. The emergency declaration is only applied to Lance who can’t play unless both Dak and Rush were ineligible. If they made Lance active, he could be used in packages much like New Orleans uses Taysom Hill.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The MVP level play is only because of the garbage can teams Dak has been beating up on. As far as Lance is concerned, if playoff seeding won't change whether they win or lose, sure, let Lance get some game time and let Dak rest for his one and done playoff game.
I love how Dak lives in your head and absolutely upsets you 24/7.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It will be time to pull the bandaid off. Dak is making things hard again with his MVP level play. Still they need to see what they have with Lance eventually. I doubt that last game will have any significant impact in the standings. Dallas is not catching Philly so very likely a 12 win 5 seed. I truly want Lance to get the start that game.

Thoughts?
I think you don't know what you are talking about on numerous levels. What is your hurry with seeing what we have with Lance? Did Cooper Rush kick your dog so you want Cooper off the team, ASAP? Cooper is our QB2 this season and postseason. Why have you already given up on the possibility of winning the division? Neither of us has any idea what's going to happen going forward so stop quitting on the Cowboy's chances to win the division. There will be plenty of time next year to see what we have in Lance.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I think you don't know what you are talking about on numerous levels. What is your hurry with seeing what we have with Lance? Did Cooper Rush kick your dog so you want Cooper off the team, ASAP? Cooper is our QB2 this season and postseason. Why have you already given up on the possibility of winning the division? Neither of us has any idea what's going to happen going forward so stop quitting on the Cowboy's chances to win the division. There will be plenty of time next year to see what we have in Lance.
I had forgotten how annoying you are as a poster. Thanks for the reminder. Just a nasty guy. Always need to be condescending. Must suck to be you. Going to block you now.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Thoughts are simple. No matter how many times you post this, it isn't going to happen.

He isn't ready. Doesn't matter if you like it. Doesn't matter if you agree. That's just the way it is.

It was true when the made the trade. It is true now. It will be true the last game of the season.

NEXT YEAR.
Lance starting game 17… It’s the first time I posted this. I figure you guys running this forum would know this before flapping your gums. You don’t agree with the post move on. No need to make up a lie to justify a rude comment. I had a thought and asked people what they think. Lots responded so it was a valid question. You are a mod - act like it. Be better.

plasticman

Reaction score
They already know what they have in Lance which is why you won't see him until the preseason. They aren't going to ruin him by throwing him in too early like so many teams do with their "developmental" quarterback. They are going to develop him slowly and carefully.

You probably won't see him seriously compete for the starting job until 2025. At that point, he will be the same age as Romo when he first started.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It will be time to pull the bandaid off. Dak is making things hard again with his MVP level play. Still they need to see what they have with Lance eventually. I doubt that last game will have any significant impact in the standings. Dallas is not catching Philly so very likely a 12 win 5 seed. I truly want Lance to get the start that game.

Thoughts?
No

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
Still they need to see what they have with Lance eventually. I doubt that last game will have any significant impact in the standings..
So if that last game won't likely have significant impact on the standings and they sit Dak, odds are that most, if not all the regular staters would sit as well. At that point, would they really get a chance to see what they have with Lance? I mean, if he goes out and struggles against the Commanders 1st string defense with a bunch of scrubs around him on offense, would that be any kind of indicator of "what they have"?

On the flip side, if he goes out and plays well against a Commanders team that will have mailed in the season by then and is already looking ahead to the draft, would that be any indicator of what they have?

For me the simple answer is no.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
I hope Lance stays on the sidelines. You just don't break up the chemistry these guys seem to have. I mean ok, let's wait for those final games to happen but either way, keep them in flow, every game is good for the group. I wouldn't even sit starters if the seed was carved in stone before the last game.

Maybe let Lance play a quarter in an already decided game, other than that, no. I would have given another QB a chance in the beginning of the season after the post season desaster of last year. But now that they have found their way together I wouldn't disrupt it.

Adreme

Reaction score
The MVP level play is only because of the garbage can teams Dak has been beating up on. As far as Lance is concerned, if playoff seeding won't change whether they win or lose, sure, let Lance get some game time and let Dak rest for his one and done playoff game.
Also the Eagles. A lot of those stars came against the team with the best record in the NFL.

Adreme

Reaction score
What team did they beat last year? What "better team"? Cowboys without Dak?
Just looking at the schedule from last year they beat Vikings, Jaguars, Giants, and Cowboys, who were all playoff teams, and the Steelers, Lions and Packers who were in playoff contention.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Just looking at the schedule from last year they beat Vikings, Jaguars, Giants, and Cowboys, who were all playoff teams, and the Steelers, Lions and Packers who were in playoff contention.
Man those teams suck stop it. I’ll give you this year beating the Chiefs, Cowboys and Dolphins…pains me to say it but those are legit teams. Those teams last year stunk.

Adreme

Reaction score
Man those teams suck stop it. I’ll give you this year beating the Chiefs, Cowboys and Dolphins…pains me to say it but those are legit teams. Those teams last year stunk.
I mean we can try and argue the playoff teams from last year sucked but by that logic 28 NFL teams last year "sucked" and the word is now meaningless. The criticism was that the Cowboys cannot beat winning teams this year and the comment was the Eagles did not last year but I listed you all the winning teams they did beat thus invalidating that argument.