Lance Wasn't As Disappointing As Some Want To Believe Considering The Circumstances

Status
Not open for further replies.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The cope begins. Facts don’t care about your feelings.

Lance just ain’t good fellas. That could change in the next 3 weeks, but he was probably one of the worst performers at QB among the notable rookies (and Lance is a 4th year player).

Dak’s heir is most likely going to need to be drafted unless Lance’s entire career trajectory magically reverses.

It’s amazing how much the hate for a single player can blind people to realities.

Sydla

Reaction score
He stated that the Cowboys still need to draft a QB in the 1st round and that perhaps Lance should not be completely written off after 1 pre season game given he was playing with a lot of guys who will be selling cars etc by September.

It seems a pretty fair assessment. He isn't claiming Lance will be the next Tom Brady but whilst the jury seems to still be out on Prescott after 8+ years many have already written off Lance after one game.

I don't think Lance is the answer but pre season has not finished yet and it is weird at how much some supposed Dallas Cowboys fans hate on him. Odd individuals.
Its not hate. It's just realism. And note, I was firmly in the camp that they should have tried to trade Dak earlier this year and fired McCarthy to hire a young, offensive minded HC to work with Lance.

But that's knowing it would be likely Lance would fail and this team would be entering a rebuild. But that's not the direction the Cowboys took here. They still think they can win and in that sense, trying to argue Lance is as viable an option for this current team as Dak is just foolishness at this point.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Some Dak stats with starters:

18-31 145 yards 3 INTs 0 TDs
20-27 179 yards 2 INTs 0 TDs
28-43 216 yards 2 INTs 0 TDs
14-24 153 yards 3 INTs 1 TD
18-27 212 yards 2 INTs 0 TDs
21-34 181 yards 2 INTs 0 TDs
18-27 212 yards 2 INTs 0 TDs
Pathetic and desperate.

You have to pull up Dak's worst stats (which are only 7 games) throughout his previous 8 seasons to try to shame him while trying to lift and praise a nobody like Lance?

Wow. Talk about trolling to the max.

kskboys

Reaction score
The plan should have been crap can McCarthy after the GB game. Then immediately tell Dak this is a rebuild/restructure and allow him and his agent to seek out trades. They should have also considered a trade of Lamb or Parsons to load up on picks and then worked the draft to add some young guys as well as maybe trade some picks to add more picks in the future.

An aggressive, creative GM likely would have done that. Jerry isn't that guy. Stephen certainly isn't either. They are stuck in limbo here. Wait, don't spend money on FAs to get better as we need the money for our stars. Then it's wait, we aren't going to sign our stars either. I have zero idea what they are thinking here because when you look at the totality of the offseason, it's so disjointed.
I think it's worse than that. Here's Jerry's thoughts: "Dak, you want huge money? Wellllll, I'll show you, I'll just let you play w/ a bunch of rooks and scrubs w/ no running game to bail you out."

Do I believe Jerry thinks that way? Sadly and unfortunately, I do.

kskboys

Reaction score
Lance had some real accuracy problems for sure, but he does move well. His pocket presence might already be better than Dak's. He's got an arm if he can tame it. He is still #3 on the QB depth chart. Dallas should keep 3 QB's on the roster at all times anyway, regardless if #3 is Lance.

Dallas needs to keep throwing resources at the position. They have devoted precious little draft capital to the most important position in football, and have 3 decades of mediocrity to show for it.
That's because Jerry refuses to tear it down and start over. How do you get that draft capital for the most important position in football? You trade away talent and suck for a season or two, putting you at the top of the draft, w/ capital to move there from the trades. And then you hope it's a draft w/ a good QB or 2 in it.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
That's because Jerry refuses to tear it down and start over. How do you get that draft capital for the most important position in football? You trade away talent and suck for a season or two, putting you at the top of the draft, w/ capital to move there from the trades. And then you hope it's a draft w/ a good QB or 2 in it.
Jerry and the Cowboys are comfortable in mediocrity.

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
He wasn’t very good by any means, but you have to put some context to it.

He finished the game 25/41 for 188 yards (188 yards on 25 completions is not good) and he was our leading rusher with 44 yards. Zero turnovers.

Now, not great or even that good for that matter, I know.

But…

He didn’t have Lamb, Cooks, Ferguson, or even Hendershot and Tolbert to throw to.

He was throwing to some guys that will be selling cars in a month and it showed with some ugly drops. He also had some ugly passes. They were sailing high a lot, but a couple drops hit guys right in the chest (I’m looking at you McMath)

He didn’t have Zeke or Dowdle (done after the 1st series) in the run game. I don’t think this would’ve made much of a difference anyways.

That O-Line y’all said sucked last year? Lance was having to play with their back ups.

All that combined with a very vanilla playbook and probably being told not to run much as to avoid injury.

I’d like to see him with actual NFL players around him, but unfortunately Dallas gives all the starters the preseason off, so that’s not gonna happen.

He played better than Bennett, that’s for sure, but still he wasn’t great and needs to show more if he wants to get a chance next season.

My opinion remains that we need to draft a QB in the first round regardless of how Lance performs and let Lance and the rookie battle for the starting job next season. It's time, Jerry.
Most of us long-term football fans understand what you’re saying, but I don’t think the point being that he had a poor game playing with mostly back up starters. We’re more looking at him and his ability to make quick decisions and make reads and get rid of the ball quick when needed and so forth. And he failed on all those fronts. It’s just like the early, preliminary scouting report way back on Dak Prescott. Reports indicated that he has a hesitation and second-guess himself. And he still does that to this day we all see it. We saw that with Lance last night and we saw it even worse than Dak Does it. Not gonna fly, he is NOT the guy to replace Dak.

Sydla

Reaction score
Let's put it another way.

Dak is a flawed QB. I have confidence in saying that it is unlikely he can ever go on a playoff run and even make a SB, let alone win one.

But as we sit here today, given how the team is constructed and the fact that I would still like us to win games, Dak maybe winning 9-10-11 games, also knowing that he'll likely fail in January, is still more palatable to me than trotting out Lance at this point where he'll win 4-5 games at most.

There was a situation where that scenario would have been fine with me - if we had gone full blown rebuild 6 months ago. We did not.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The plan should have been crap can McCarthy after the GB game. Then immediately tell Dak this is a rebuild/restructure and allow him and his agent to seek out trades. They should have also considered a trade of Lamb or Parsons to load up on picks and then worked the draft to add some young guys as well as maybe trade some picks to add more picks in the future.

An aggressive, creative GM likely would have done that. Jerry isn't that guy. Stephen certainly isn't either. They are stuck in limbo here. Wait, don't spend money on FAs to get better as we need the money for our stars. Then it's wait, we aren't going to sign our stars either. I have zero idea what they are thinking here because when you look at the totality of the offseason, it's so disjointed.
I agree with you that they should have fired Big Mac. Most teams and HCs don’t recover mentally from that bad of a collapse. And I would have supported working on a trade for Dak and perhaps Cedee and Parsons. I’m all for loading up on picks and rebuilding.

But as you stated it requires a smart, aggressive GM who has a plan beyond how to “market” his team. We are stuck with an incompetent front office when it comes to knowing how (in the cap era) to build a roster that can realistically compete for a championship. They literally don’t know how to do it. We have three decades of receipts.

So what we are stuck with is a collection of some good players, highly paid but not surrounded with a supporting cast that is hand picked to complement the stars. We don’t even have a philosophy to build around. We are being run by a couple of billionaires playing fantasy football with lifetime contracts.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I am ready to move on from Dak. But the hilariousness in some of you being so anti-Dak that you'll latch onto some junk QB as a viable replacement is hilarious.
I have never once said that I think we should hitch our wagon to Lance, and I don't think we should for the record.

So that particular comment needs to be directed elsewhere, as it isn't representative of my viewpoint

That said, I think we are dealing with the opposite viewpoint. Meaning we have many in this fan base that are so blindly devoted to Dak that they refuse to consider the possibility of having anyone else other than number four under Center for the Cowboys

Lance didn't look good last night. But he didn't look anywhere near as bad as Dak looked in the first half against Green Bay after 8 years of practice. Yet somehow in their eyes Lance is disqualified forever while Dak deserves a 60 million a year upgrade

Those are the folks with an agenda. Not me friend

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
And that's fair. I've been very clear and been called anti-Dak by many on this board when I say this - Dak is what he is. I would have gone to him back in March and said hey, I think we are going in a different direction as a franchise and are looking at a rebuild here so why don't you and your agent try to find a team that will give you the chance to win.

But I also won't delude myself into thinking that Lance is a viable replacement at this point. This is a 4-5 win team at best with Lance. Coming here and saying, hey don't criticize Lance for his suspect performance because he didn't have starters, and then using that as some rationale to think he's a viable replacement for Dak is weird. It just is.

Lance is your QB when you want to tank. The moment to decide to tank was months ago. Our front office has no vision, not forward creativity.
This is where I disagree. This isnt the Cowboys team that we had under Garrett. We went 4-1 with Cooper Rush.

Now if you want to argue that Rush is a better QB than Lance at this point, thats fine. But he isnt terrible to the point where we would have no hope.

His play in this game shouldnt warrant all the “omg he is terrible, he shouldnt be in the NFL”

Sydla

Reaction score
I agree with you that they should have fired Big Mac. Most teams and HCs don’t recover mentally from that bad of a collapse. And I would have supported working on a trade for Dak and perhaps Cedee and Parsons. I’m all for loading up on picks and rebuilding.

But as you stated it requires a smart, aggressive GM who has a plan beyond how to “market” his team. We are stuck with an incompetent front office when it comes to knowing how (in the cap era) to build a roster that can realistically compete for a championship. They literally don’t know how to do it. We have three decades of receipts.

So what we are stuck with is a collection of some good players, highly paid but not surrounded with a supporting cast that is hand picked to complement the stars. We don’t even have a philosophy to build around. We are being run by a couple of billionaires playing fantasy football with lifetime contracts.
Jerry was worried about having to pay two head coaches. I have little doubt that money was why he let Garrett run out his contract and why he is doing that with McCarthy. When Jerry whined about "dead money" for coaches, it all then just made sense.

LOL, god we are so screwed.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
At this point, Lance is so far behind Dak as a QB. Note, that's not an endorsement of Dak, it's just a statement of fact.
Guy with less than 5 starts to his credit playing his first game on a new team is less effective than 8 year starter

Are you surprised by this?

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Lance won’t be in a cowboy uniform once the regular season gets here.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Here’s the big problem for Lance - He’s not a rookie. He’s in his 4th NFL season and has played in 8 NFL regular season games and actually started 4 games. If you’ve been in the league this long and still look like a 6th round rookie, its a problem.

I‘ve got nothing against this young man. I would love to see him become a future star at QB here - even a solid backup. But honestly, what I’ve seen so far in TC and yesterday, he doesn’t have it.

Bottom line for me - I’m pragmatic as a Cowboys fan. I’m not married to the idea that Dak has to be our QB. I would love to find someone better. But I also recognize good QBs don’t grow on trees.

And I am not so desperate to replace the QB that has a 73-41 regular season record AND a disappointing 2-5 playoff record that I wear rose colored glasses about Dak or when Trey Lance plays. Lance is still very raw. He definitely has some talent and size, but after 4 years in this league if a QB is still this unpolished, he probably does not have what it takes to be a starter.

If we can find someone better than Dak I’m all for it. But I haven’t seen this FO produce someone yet on this roster that fits that description. Dak has been disappointing to say the least in the playoffs. But so has the whole team. From what I’ve seen of Trey Lance so far, we havent found Dak’s successor.
He's very raw because he hasn't taken many snaps in actual games, going back to college. I'm glad we're giving him this whole preseason to show if there's any value in trying to continue to develop him. I saw some good things from him yesterday, particularly with his mid-range passing, and some bad (high on short throws in the flats, overthrows on fade in end zone, deep sideline pass, both of which could have been TDs and changed the narrative). He also was hurt by some dropped passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.