Lance Wasn't As Disappointing As Some Want To Believe Considering The Circumstances

Status
Not open for further replies.

PurpleHaze22

Reaction score
Dak had over 400 yards with 3 TDs and completed as many passes as Lance attempted. Lance played almost the entire game and couldn’t get us in the endzone once. It’s hilarious how some of you keep bashing Dak and talking up Lance. Lol
And how many interceptions?I believe we were winning until the last play of the game.We were blown out by the Pack.Also Dak had 18 starts and Lance hadn't started a game in years.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
And how many interceptions?I believe we were winning until the last play of the game.We were blown out by the Pack.Also Dak had 18 starts and Lance hadn't started a game in years.
It's insane how Dak over Dallas fans try and defend the game he had against Green Bay.

That game literally ended Dak's career in Dallas, but his fans try and spin it as some kind of "not that bad" of a game.

phildadon86

Reaction score
It's insane how Dak over Dallas fans try and defend the game he had against Green Bay.

That game literally ended Dak's career in Dallas, but his fans try and spin it as some kind of "not that bad" of a game.
Stop calling people Dak over Dallas fans.

You quite literally only comment and post in Dak threads.

This is the first thread you have made in a long time that wasn’t Dak related.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Lance was afraid to take any chances. Nothing but passes out in the flat and underneath to avoid making a mistake. The passes that he attempted that traveled 15 yards he was 1-5. It’s almost impossible to lose a football game where your defense had 4 INT’s but we did because we couldn’t score a TD. Our redzone offense was terrible. Our offense would be ranked in the upper 20s with Lance at QB and our scoring offense might not be much better. It’s funny how you’re trying to compare what Dak did in a playoff game with what Lance did in the first preseason game facing zero starters. :rolleyes: The Rams didn’t even play their first three picks in this year‘s draft. Lance was given no better than a C minus for his performance and some are acting like he played good. Lol

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't know if they realize they COULDN'T fix him as much as they realized that as well as Purdy was playing they no longer HAD to fix him. They rightfully determined that they should put all their energy into Purdy and move on from Lance. Now if Purdy plateaus the way Garropollo did then they will go out and seek any upgrade at the position again. That team is stacked but if once they start having to pay guys it won't stay stacked. When that is no longer the case will Purdy be able to elevate a lesser team? Only time will tell. Same with Lance.. Will he be able to continue to develop his QB skills to become a viable NFL QB? If he does it was a good use of a 4th round pick. If not, it was a waste. Not rocket surgery.
Lance was essentially benched in favor of Darnold. They realized there was nothing left that they could do so they moved him.

Sydla

Reaction score
Couldn't? Or had no reason to?
Likely couldn’t.

Again, yes, Purdy took over after Lance got hurt and did a great job. Lance had a chance in the 2023 preseason to show something but he was so inconsistent that he actually got replaced on the depth chart by Sam Darnold.

So I don’t think this was the case of the 49ers thinking they were oozing with QB talent and could just move Lance. They moved him because he regressed and they couldn’t get much out of him at that point.

Nav22

Reaction score
I did not say he was ready to be a starter. and did they truly look as good as you are claiming.
Dak fans fear what Trey could become.
You're hilarious.

You took offense at me calling a 4th-year QB who was a top-3 pick "clueless" after a mediocre performance?

When you YOURSELF admit he's not ready to be a starter?

Is this a raw rookie???? Or are we still talking about a 4th year QB who was a top 3 pick???? Same system as last year, right??? Or did we change OCs this year without me knowing?????
:lmao2:

Like I said, I'm pulling for the guy because he's a Cowboy.

But unlike you, I know football.

To still be preaching "patience" for a guy who was drafted to become a superstar and still can't start in this league by year 4 is as embarrassing as it gets.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Likely couldn’t.

Again, yes, Purdy took over after Lance got hurt and did a great job. Lance had a chance in the 2023 preseason to show something but he was so inconsistent that he actually got replaced on the depth chart by Sam Darnold.

So I don’t think this was the case of the 49ers thinking they were oozing with QB talent and could just move Lance. They moved him because he regressed and they couldn’t get much out of him at that point.
Again...I will ask.....Not to test you but I just don;t know...

a "regression"? ...how can that be? Maybe a slowing of progress?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're hilarious.

You took offense at me calling a 4th-year QB who was a top-3 pick "clueless" after a mediocre performance?

Is this a raw rookie???? Or are we still talking about a 4th year QB who was a top 3 pick???? Same system as last year, right??? Or did we change OCs this year without me knowing?????

To still be preaching "patience" for a guy who was drafted to become a superstar and still can't start in this league by year 4 is as embarrassing as it gets.
"4th year QB"....as if there was no injury or turmoil in his very short time.

He's only 24....some college QB's ENTER the NFL at that age.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
You're hilarious.

Hey!

You've been on the bench more time than Lance and they keep being patient and giving you chances.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Lance was essentially benched in favor of Darnold. They realized there was nothing left that they could do so they moved him.
No he was benched in favor of Purdy. He and Darnold were going to compete for the backup job. The choice to move him was as much political as anything because the noise in the Bay Area media was that having him around as a constant reminder of how stupid they were to trade all they traded to get him was going to be a problem with the fans. Not that Trey himself was going to be a problem but they felt like there would always be some of that "you don't give up that much to draft a guy to have him standing on the sidelines" noise within the fanbase. It may have been just some made up media nonsense but the 49ers decided not to even chance it.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Likely couldn’t.

Actually Purdy didn't get his shot until Garoppolo got hurt. It was Jimmy G. who got the first dibs on running the show once Lance went down.

Nav22

Reaction score
"4th year QB"....as if there was no injury or turmoil in his very short time.

He's only 24....some college QB's ENTER the NFL at that age.
Keep pretending QBs can't sit and learn from the bench.

Romo, Rodgers and Love say hi.

Sam Darnold beat out Trey Lance for the SF backup job last year.

Sam Darnold. A journeyman who's on yet another new team this year.

Trey Lance isn't good.

Sydla

Reaction score
Again...I will ask.....Not to test you but I just don;t know...

a "regression"? ...how can that be? Maybe a slowing of progress?
He lost the backup job to Sam Darnold. So he went from starter to third string in 12 months. The losing the job to Purdy can be explained. Not being able to beat out Sam Darnold for the 2nd QB is, at least me, regression. Unless you are going to argue that Sam Darnold really improved.

Sydla

Reaction score
No he was benched in favor of Purdy. He and Darnold were going to compete for the backup job. The choice to move him was as much political as anything because the noise in the Bay Area media was that having him around as a constant reminder of how stupid they were to trade all they traded to get him was going to be a problem with the fans. Not that Trey himself was going to be a problem but they felt like there would always be some of that "you don't give up that much to draft a guy to have him standing on the sidelines" noise within the fanbase. It may have been just some made up media nonsense but the 49ers decided not to even chance it.
The point being he lost the backup spot to Sam Darnold. At that point, Lance’s run in San Fran was effectively over.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, he sure wasn’t impressive either. Let’s hope for a better game this week.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Well, he sure wasn’t impressive either. Let’s hope for a better game this week.
Fa realz.. But to honest he wasn't "disappointing" in the least to me. I had no expectations of the kid and really just went in wanting to see what he's got. I did watch him some with the 49ers and he never looked comfortable at all in Shanahan's offense. Maybe Big Mac's offense will suit him better. He's still too quick to take off running but that's to be expected with a young, inexperienced but athletic QB. The more he plays and sees the field the less of that he will do. But the fact that he CAN do it should always be a weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.