Lance wasn't perfect

Chasing6

Reaction score
Have you read the posts on here even from 5 months ago?
Yes they want him to fail. He did not look horrible. But since you already made up your mind. There is no reason to further have a discussion about it.
Stating the obvious is not wanting him to fail.

Nav22

Reaction score
And he led the NFL in INT‘s missing 5 games the year before.

I guess that is average.
Still went 8-4 that year with the 12th-best QBR in the league.

Pretty solid even at his worst.

Trey Lance had the best supporting cast in football, and still couldn't beat out Sam Darnold for a backup spot.

"Be patient, the top-3 pick was only in year 3!!!"
:lmao2:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He actually made a lot of plays on the ground when plays broke down - sure he missed a TD but this is a high quality opportunity to get gamefilm.

He threw for 188 yards because of drops and the vanilla gameplan - along with the coaches plan to evaluate the RB.

For this boards ‘success’ measuring stick yall need 3TDs 0 INT

If he can walk away preseason with 3TD playing better talent in the next 2 weeks that is a great start
wait. we wanted to evaluate the RBs? we passed the ball 44 times and ran it 17!!! so seems like they wanted to evaluate the passing game.

what drops? how many drops? vs. how many open WRs he missed and how many times he over threw WRs.... or are you saying if WRs aren't perfect, then Lance isn't that good?

measuring stick would have been at least 1 TD. he got 4 gifted turnovers from the defense and scored zero TD.

he had 4.7 yards per pass attempt, which tells me he was dumping the ball a lot.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I normally don't disagree with your posts, but you like so many on here are so quick to judge based upon the number of seasons he has played. Trey missed the Covid year, has had injuries and barely played in the NCAA. He has a 4-4 record in the NFL over those 4 seasons out of 64 games. I get it, he didn't look good but why are so many on here apologists for Dak for over 8 years, and so quick to pounce on the guy for 8 games? Let the guy fail for the next 2 preseason games then we can have a more reasonable talk but for 1 game where everything was scripted is ridiculous
There are two camps on Trance based one 1 good year in College.

1. If he played so good with only 1 year starting in college and not playing much in HS, how good can he be with some development? Sky is the limit.

John Lynch was in this camp and who better than Shanahan to help develop him.

Flip side of the coin:

2. Why did he not play much at all in HS? Why did his HS Coach think he was a RB and not a QB. Why did he not get a single Scholarship offer to play QB? How is he going to be able to catch up for all the lost time and missed experience? He will not get it in preseason, or by watching on the sidelines. So how do you go about developing him??

We are now on year 4 from him being drafted. He did not get the playing time he needed to develop, so it has been a waste the last 4 years.

He needs an NFL team to say you are starting no matter what. For good or for bad to get him some experience and to see if he can show some signs of life and grow and develop as a QB.

The only possible team that this could happen on is the Dallas Cowboys. Every other Owner would fire their GM if it did not work out.

Problem is we are not a basement team. We are a playoff team. So the timing is not right for this experiment to take place.

Jerry will need to double and triple down on Trance just to figure out what Trance can or can not become in the future.

Double down - make Trance the back up QB.

Triple down give Trance a 2 year extension and commit to starting him next year to find out.

Drafting a rookie QB next year maybe the same gamble as rolling with Trance. Jerry has some decisions to make.

Staubacher

Reaction score
There are two camps on Trance based one 1 good year in College.

1. If he played so good with only 1 year starting in college and not playing much in HS, how good can he be with some development? Sky is the limit.

John Lynch was in this camp and who better than Shanahan to help develop him.

Flip side of the coin:

2. Why did he not play much at all in HS? Why did his HS Coach think he was a RB and not a QB. Why did he not get a single Scholarship offer to play QB? How is he going to be able to catch up for all the lost time and missed experience? He will not get it in preseason, or by watching on the sidelines. So how do you go about developing him??

We are now on year 4 from him being drafted. He did not get the playing time he needed to develop, so it has been a waste the last 4 years.

He needs an NFL team to say you are starting no matter what. For good or for bad to get him some experience and to see if he can show some signs of life and grow and develop as a QB.

The only possible team that this could happen on is the Dallas Cowboys. Every other Owner would fire their GM if it did not work out.

Problem is we are not a basement team. We are a playoff team. So the timing is not right for this experiment to take place.

Jerry will need to double and triple down on Trance just to figure out what Trance can or can not become in the future.

Double down - make Trance the back up QB.

Triple down give Trance a 2 year extension and commit to starting him next year to find out.

Drafting a rookie QB next year maybe the same gamble as rolling with Trance. Jerry has some decisions to make.
You really like to say the word Trance don't you. Does every time you say it make your hero better in the playoffs?

Chasing6

Reaction score
You really like to say the word Trance don't you. Does every time you say it make your hero better in the playoffs?
Your DDS is very strong. Where did I talk about Dak. Trances development has nothing to do with Dak.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Still went 8-4 that year with the 12th-best QBR in the league.

Pretty solid even at his worst.

Trey Lance had the best supporting cast in football, and still couldn't beat out Sam Darnold for a backup spot.

"Be patient, the top-3 pick was only in year 3!!!"
And yet he failed in the playoffs again.

Nav22

Reaction score
And yet he failed in the playoffs again.
He did win a playoff game that year.

In fact, he won his first playoff game in year 3.

Lance in year 3? "Waaaah I can't beat out Sam Darnold, he's too good!!! Trade me!!!"

Chasing6

Reaction score
He did win a playoff game that year.

In fact, he won his first playoff game in year 3.

Lance in year 3? "Waaaah I can't beat out Sam Darnold, he's too good!!! Trade me!!!"
Yes, I don't want to be an emergency QB. Trade me so I can be an emergency QB somewhere else. :huh: