Twitter: Landry Hat: 3 potential landing spots for Dak in 2021

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
No, it is not. The QB money is not in a vacuum. The total cap is the driving number. All teams have to get under it. Fitting $38M salary under the 2021 cap of $175M is difficult when you have to pay 50 other players with the remainder. One can convert other player salaries to bonus money but that is with risk.
That's not Dak's problem. The tag is $38 million. He's not going to sign for like $9m less than that lol.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
That's not Dak's problem. The tag is $38 million. He's not going to sign for like $9m less than that lol.

Who is offering $38M? If no team is offering $38M, then Dak is not getting $38M. The tag is only applicable if the Cowboys use it.

I say do not use the tag and let him see what market price is. Come back to the Cowboys with your best offer. Maybe we match it or maybe we do not.

If Dak’s best FA offer is $27M, then why would I pay more than that?

dckid

Reaction score
You could probably also add the Colts, Bears, and maybe Bucs or almost any QB-needed team in a win-now mode. In other words, we can easily get two 1st round picks IMO but no question, we are a better team with Dak than without. For fans thinking we can replace him with a rookie or cheap rethread are misguided IMO.

Bottom line......we KNOW what we have in Dak IMO.

https://thelandryhat.com/2020/12/15/dallas-cowboys-3-spots-dak-prescott-2021/

3 potential landing spots for Dak Prescott in 2021,

by Michael H. Vu10 minutes ago

Good article.
I would thrown in a couple more teams like Chicago, Pittsburgh, even Indy. Dak won't get 40 million for any of these teams. If he was smart he would sign a short term deal with SF, or NO and 23 per year and play lights out and get a big contract.
He would be in a lose lose situation if he got signed for 37-40 per year here, the cap would be a mess, you just are not winning in Dallas. Our Front office is horrible. If I was him, give me a great organization and offensive coaches. SF sticks out like a sore thumb.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Who is offering $38M? If no team is offering $38M, then Dak is not getting $38M. The tag is only applicable if the Cowboys use it.

I say do not use the tag and let him see what market price is. Come back to the Cowboys with your best offer. Maybe we match it or maybe we do not.

The Cowboys have to use it or risk losing him for nothing. They're not going to do that. $38m is the minimum.

It's also ridiculous to think that he'd only get $27m on the open market. That's Jimmy G money lol

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
The Cowboys have to use it or risk losing him for nothing. They're not going to do that. $38m is the minimum.

It's also ridiculous to think that he'd only get $27m on the open market. That's Jimmy G money lol

You can lol all you want. Two big variables: Dak’s leg and the salary cap at $175M. Teams took a revenue beating this year and may likely lose more revenue the next few years. Cash flow becomes a factor. Trying to fit 50 other players under $175M is a tough task when one pays Dak $35-40M. Can’t field a competitive team paying the QB $38M under a $175M cap.

So far Dak’s leg looks to be healing well. We don’t know until around April or May maybe. Teams will have to gamble and guess. We are talking about a $200M contract over 5 years with a guarantee of around $100M plus.

Too much uncertainty if I were a GM.

FiveSuperBowls

Reaction score
You could probably also add the Colts, Bears, and maybe Bucs or almost any QB-needed team in a win-now mode. In other words, we can easily get two 1st round picks IMO but no question, we are a better team with Dak than without. For fans thinking we can replace him with a rookie or cheap rethread are misguided IMO.

3 potential landing spots for Dak Prescott in 2021

If other teams are willing to trade two first round picks, then Jerry should do it.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Prescott is a winner, no matter where he goes he will succeed. It will be a shame to lose him

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I just have a hard time seeing New England paying ANY player....ever....what Dak is asking.
That's never been their m.o.
Not true for quarterback. They kept restructuring Brady. Bella check wants to win Prescott would be perfect there

tyke1doe

Reaction score

We are NOT getting two first-round picks for Dak. :laugh:

C'mon, guys.

Jstopper

Reaction score

Dude stop you sound ridiculous. I will bet you whatever you want right now that Dak won’t see a penny less than 30M, you’re talking silly

SixFiveCowboy

Reaction score
So they get Dak and at least a $35M contract instead of Trevor Lawrence on a cheap rookie contract? They aren't in win now mode. They will rebuild around Lawrence.
Yeah this is true but they've already been down that road with Darnold some in that front office might want a marquee name to attract some veteran leadership to go with the young pups and Dak isn't exactly long in the tooth.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

If Dak Prescott goes to SF 49ers, it would be great for his finances (CA makes money), great for his real estate (the Bay Area is God's Country), great for his football career (GM and HC that know football and football players), great for after football career (Hollywood would eat up the Dak Prescott story), and it would be payback for the Cowboys stealing Charles Haley from SF.

If the Cowboys let Dak Prescott walk, Cowboys will still be bottom feeding in a division with going against young experienced QBs, young experienced DLs, and Jerry Dumbo GM Jones will draft another WR, and still trying to peg square block 4-3 defensive players in a 3-4 round hole defense.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Neither matters.

175 is the floor. Latest estimates are 195.

The leg matters. We shall see.

Yes, 175 is the floor and there are rumors it will be more. We shall see. The big market teams have to convince the small market teams to go along with the larger cap even though revenue plummeted.

At a $195M cap things become more manageable.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
If new england gets dak, my theory of the patriots being irrelevant for the next 10+ years goes out the window
True that, but this franchise despite what anyone thinks of Dak... is no where near ready for a franchise payed QB... lol
They got way too many players to find first, draft first, develop first,, Dak may be all that to many of you tossing silver dollars in the wishing well,, thats all good,, let Dak win another team like New England a few more rings.
They have the infrastructure to support that contract,, This Cowboys team can never harvest off of that, not the way we build.

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't see the Patriots giving up two first rounders and paying Dak a king's ransom. I don't see the 49ers doing it either. They already have a QB and made it to the super bowl with him. His cap hit isn't that horrible over the next two years.

I don't see the Bucs doing it in 2021 because they'll probably roll with Brady.

But I can see the Saints, Colts, or Bears if they have a first round pick. Are they paid up for the Mack trade?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

he will be gobbled up in a NY minute if he hits the market.......Indy, Washington, Chicago, New England, Tampa, Denver will be on the phone trying to make a deal.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
If we had a GM with any grey matter between his ears, he would have fielded trades for Dak after they franchised him. Beyond dumb to hamstring your organization with an average QB.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
he will be gobbled up in a NY minute if he hits the market.......Indy, Washington, Chicago, New England, Tampa, Denver will be on the phone trying to make a deal.

Yeah, well it will be a pretty short call when Dak’s agent says 5 year, $190M with $100M guaranteed.