Laptop keyboard problem

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I got a new laptop in July and since the day I got it I've had problems with the keyboard. Whenever I'm typing the cursor will just out of the blue jump back about 10-20 spaces and start typing there. Usually that's in the middle of the sentence I'm currently typing. I'm forced to delete what I just typed in the wrong spot and retype it in the correct spot. It's very annoying. On some occassions it will even jump back a few lines. I have no idea why it does this. It happens in different programs, so it's not just one program. Anyone have any ideas?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wish I could help but I just don't know much about laptops.

One thing I would suggest, if you have not done so already, is to do a windows update and see if there are some new drivers for your laptop/keyboard.

You may also wish to visit the main site of the manufacturer and see if there are any driver or software downloads for your laptop, maybe even see if they have a FAQ or message board to get some help.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
If it's a brand new laptop or still under warranty I would call tech support and get them to troubleshoot it.

SweCowboy

Reaction score
ChldsPlay said:
I got a new laptop in July and since the day I got it I've had problems with the keyboard. Whenever I'm typing the cursor will just out of the blue jump back about 10-20 spaces and start typing there. Usually that's in the middle of the sentence I'm currently typing. I'm forced to delete what I just typed in the wrong spot and retype it in the correct spot. It's very annoying. On some occassions it will even jump back a few lines. I have no idea why it does this. It happens in different programs, so it's not just one program. Anyone have any ideas?

This one's new to me. I've never seen this happen before and I work at an internet café so I have seen alot of strange things happen with computers. The only thing that comes to mind is if you're laptop has a touchpad you might accidently be tapping the touchpad when typing and mark the page where you're pointer is. Otherwise it sounds like a software issue...

Cowboyfan81

Broadcast Guy
Reaction score
SweCowboy said:
This one's new to me. I've never seen this happen before and I work at an internet café so I have seen alot of strange things happen with computers. The only thing that comes to mind is if you're laptop has a touchpad you might accidently be tapping the touchpad when typing and mark the page where you're pointer is. Otherwise it sounds like a software issue...

As silly as this sounds, 9 times out of 10 this is the cause for a "jumpy" cursor on a notebook!

Kevinicus

Reaction score
It's not the case. I rest my hands off to the side of the touchpad and never touch it while I'm typing. And unless my pointer is constantly moving to the exact same amount of space that I type, it's not what's happening. It never jumps forward, and it always jumps back about the same amount, except for the occasional time where it jumps lines.

Cowboyfan81

Broadcast Guy
Reaction score
ChldsPlay said:
It's not the case. I rest my hands off to the side of the touchpad and never touch it while I'm typing. And unless my pointer is constantly moving to the exact same amount of space that I type, it's not what's happening. It never jumps forward, and it always jumps back about the same amount, except for the occasional time where it jumps lines.

You might try to go to the maunfacturers website and try downloading the latest touchpad, keyboard, and mobo drivers.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
ChldsPlay said:

Most likely the keyboard is bad; I have them replace it usally they unclip and have a couple cables that unclip.

The Keyboards are nothing but circuit boards with magnets under a ruber coating. with plastic keys are touched they make contact.

KoRn_BoYz_5

Reaction score
my laptop does that too, I usually turn my touch pad off due to my right hand always resting on it, and it causes the curser to jump and mess up my text, so i recomend this if its not to late lol

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
KoRn_BoYz_5 said:
my laptop does that too, I usually turn my touch pad off due to my right hand always resting on it, and it causes the curser to jump and mess up my text, so i recomend this if its not to late lol

I second this - unfortunately the touch pad is extra sensitive (And I've been there when the cursor gets "possessed" and goes where it pleases, extremely frustrating).

Once the touchpad was turned off the problem went away.