Laramey Tunsil & a $40 Million Dollar Offensive Line

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I saw some type of a catch competition on Saturday (not sure what channel as I was out eating lunch at the time), but Ramsey actually outperformed the two notable wide receivers who competed before him. He definitely showed his abilities there. But just 3 interceptions over his career scares me. And a team that's so bad at forcing turnovers already doesn't impress me as a great pairing.

No problem. Opinions vary. That's what this place is all about. I on the other hand, see him as the last piece to shore up the line and eliminate any weak spot at all. And he would cost you less than Doug Free would cost you this year and next. Both a huge upgrade and a lower price. I see him providing an upgrade at right tackle, a backup option for Smith at left tackle, and a long term answer at tackle for the future.

Given the circumstances and the question marks surrounding virtually everybody - and seeing that drafting Elliott neither fills a true current need nor makes any sense from either a draft pick standpoint or a financial one - I would be just fine with the team drafting Tunsil.

Until a week ago, he was the consensus #1 pick in the draft to Tennessee and everybody thought it was the perfect move. Now, suddenly he might be available to Dallas and people are slamming on the brakes saying "whoa!"

Again, anyone who has voiced opinion against Tunsil have repeatedly chosen to then ignore the situation with Doug Free and his age, history of injuries, and salary. They either try to fluff it off by saying they "don't care" about the money (a lame excuse and knew that people in the real world have to consider), or they point to Chaz Green, who has done nothing or shown nothing so far to have anyone think he might be any sort of answer.

How detrimental would it be to this 'Great Wall' if Free is out of the picture and Green struggles? Suddenly, opposing defenses have a clear weakness to exploit. Some people also think they can just shift linemen there while not missing a beat either. Ignorant of the facts.

I'd be happy with a trade down at a good level of return, but I'd be happy getting the draft's top prospect as well.

Im not sure that its necessarily a RT that we need. We can just as easily put Martin over at RT if need be. And I also see him as a possible backup to Smith. Leary can play guard if Martin shifts over. And going out and getting a solid guard in FA if Leary isnt here past a year or two is not difficult. 4 pro bowl types on the line is all you need. Fill in the gap with a solid guy and you are fine.

But I do understand getting the #1 guy. Wouldnt be the first option for me and I would be disappointed.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey Stash, we agree...now that has to stop!

About time you wised up! ;)

I like Tunsil too but, I've read from about 15 sites and looked at his tape and I think
his best position is LT. He does not appear that strong on the run though he looks great blocking for the QB. I think he might
be out of position if we take him for a RT and he can't open holes in the run game.

Power isn't his signature but he's got more than enough and should only get stronger and bigger in an NFL strength program, especially working out with the guys we have. But I think he's ideally suited for the zone blocking scheme we prefer to run.

I actually think Collins would make a great RT because
he can definitely open the holes.

He can definitely open holes and that's why the team kept him at guard. People have talk about Collins at tackle again and again, despite everything the team has shown them. They want nothing to do with Collins at tackle. They think he can be a Pro Bowl left guard and want to keep him there. Even when Free was out and guys like Weems were struggling badly, they team willfully chose to keep Collins at backup left guard, behind Leary at the time, rather than playing him at tackle. That says how they feel and tells anyone all they need to know. He's your left guard. Be happy and watch him excel there.

As for Zeke...I've been on him for months and it doesn't bother me a bit if we take him at #4.

I like the player but not the move. There are too many obvious reasons why it's not good use of the #4 overall pick and I've shown them again and again and again and some peop,e just try to ignore them.

I heard Bosa may have tested positive for dope at the combine and could be dropping on many teams boards including the Cowboys.
Ramsey is a safety for sure cause he can't turn his hips and follow the pass on the deep ball. He does best coming towards the line.

We'll get a fine player at #4 regardless of which one of them we choose, but again, it's about maximizing the return on that investment will all factors being equally considered.[/quote]

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im not sure that its necessarily a RT that we need. We can just as easily put Martin over at RT if need be. And I also see him as a possible backup to Smith. Leary can play guard if Martin shifts over. And going out and getting a solid guard in FA if Leary isnt here past a year or two is not difficult. 4 pro bowl types on the line is all you need. Fill in the gap with a solid guy and you are fine.

Totally disagree. I think that this is oversimplification. You're juggling pieces and moving parts all over the place and expecting them to be 'OK'. Taking several players from where they've already shown they excel and hoping that they're close to as effective in their new positions. And that's how you take a line from great to good.

But I do understand getting the #1 guy. Wouldnt be the first option for me and I would be disappointed.

That's cool. Nothing wrong with a difference of opinion.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see why we would draft Tunsil. Do we move on from Free? Can Tunsil slide inside and replace Leary? Don't think so and even if so, you don't draft a guard at #4. Tunsil isn't replacing Smith, and I think Smith has a brighter future than Tunsil does. If Tunsil is the best player available and there is sufficient demand, I'd trade down.

Seriously?
:huh:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Hey Stash, we agree...now that has to stop! I like Tunsil too but, I've read from about 15 sites and looked at his tape and I think
his best position is LT. He does not appear that strong on the run though he looks great blocking for the QB. I think he might
be out of position if we take him for a RT and he can't open holes in the run game. I actually think Collins would make a great RT because
he can definitely open the holes. As for Zeke...I've been on him for months and it doesn't bother me a bit if we take him at #4.

I heard Bosa may have tested positive for dope at the combine and could be dropping on many teams boards including the Cowboys.
Ramsey is a safety for sure cause he can't turn his hips and follow the pass on the deep ball. He does best coming towards the line.

This all wreaks of trade back. And I have a feeling that is exactly what Jones wants. More picks and more options to fill holes.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Totally disagree. I think that this is oversimplification. You're juggling pieces and moving parts all over the place and expecting them to be 'OK'. Taking several players from where they've already shown they excel and hoping that they're close to as effective in their new positions. And that's how you take a line from great to good.

That's cool. Nothing wrong with a difference of opinion.

Ok, but you are taking a guy that plays LT and asking him to play RT in the pros. Is that not the same thing?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok, but you are taking a guy that plays LT and asking him to play RT in the pros. Is that not the same thing?

No. Again, Doug Free is being paid more this year than you would pay Tunsil, $5 million. To play? Right tackle. Ranking him 31st in the league in tackle salary. That's right and left tackles included. And Doug Free's salary shoots us to $6.5 million in 2017, $2 million over what Tunsil would cost you at $4.5 million.

Free is approaching a career transition scenario. His $6.5 million for 2017 creates a pay or quit scenario where a renegotiation has to take place. And to have leverage, the team would have to be ready to move on. To have that, they have to have another viable option, and they don't right now. Chaz Green is a non-factor as he has shown nothing thus far.

So not only are you upgrading the position on the field, you're reducing salary cost for 2017 and you're securing yourself at the position for years to come. It's not an ideal fit of talent meeting need, but none of them really are.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Only in that it is a position change. He's still being asked to play tackle, to play in space, and all of the other demands of the position are the same, only mirrored. The changes you're talking about are fundamentally different in what the players are being asked to do. And that why I feel it's oversimplification. They're playing guys like Collins, Fredrick, and Martin inside for a reason. Because their power/positional game is better than their game in space. Maximizing strengths and minimizing weaknesses.

Tunsil is the best left tackle in this draft, which is the more demanding position between right and left. He would play right tackle here only because we already have a great one in Smith, who Tunsil is repeatedly compared to and who also played right tackle to start his career before replacing Free.

For any other team that drafted him, he would be their franchise left tackle from day one. Only in Dallas would they have the luxury of playing someone capable of playing the most demanding line position at the second most demanding.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No. Again, Doug Free is being paid more this year than you would pay Tunsil, $5 million. To play? Right tackle. Ranking him 31st in the league in tackle salary. That's right and left tackles included. And Doug Free's salary shoots us to $6.5 million in 2017, $2 million over what Tunsil would cost you at $4.5 million.

Free is approaching a career transition scenario. His $6.5 million for 2017 creates a pay or quit scenario where a renegotiation has to take place. And to have leverage, the team would have to be ready to move on. To have that, they have to have another viable option, and they don't right now. Chaz Green is a non-factor as he has shown nothing thus far.

So not only are you upgrading the position on the field, you're reducing salary cost for 2017 and you're securing yourself at the position for years to come. It's not an ideal fit of talent meeting need, but none of them really are.

I just dont see how upgrading the RT position does that much for us when compared to needs elsewhere. Your going from the best line in football to what? I'm just not seeing it. You have some points, but only if the other players available are big question marks. To me, drafting a RT 4th when you already have 4 first round talent on the line is overkill.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Only in that it is a position change. He's still being asked to play tackle, to play in space, and all of the other demands of the position are the same, only mirrored. The changes you're talking about are fundamentally different in what the players are being asked to do. And that why I feel it's oversimplification. They're playing guys like Collins, Fredrick, and Martin inside for a reason. Because their power/positional game is better than their game in space. Maximizing strengths and minimizing weaknesses.

Tunsil is the best left tackle in this draft, which is the more demanding position between right and left. He would play right tackle here only because we already have a great one in Smith, who Tunsil is repeatedly compared to and who also played right tackle to start his career before replacing Free.

For any other team that drafted him, he would be their franchise left tackle from day one. Only in Dallas would they have the luxury of playing someone capable of playing the most demanding line position at the second most demanding.

Didnt Martin play LT in college? Why couldnt be an all pro RT for us? Move Leary back into the starting lineup at RG. Problem solved.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just dont see how upgrading the RT position does that much for us when compared to needs elsewhere. Your going from the best line in football to what? I'm just not seeing it. You have some points, but only if the other players available are big question marks. To me, drafting a RT 4th when you already have 4 first round talent on the line is overkill.

No problem. I feel the same way, and more about drafting a running back at #4. Completely unnecessary and a waste of draft resources and cap space.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didnt Martin play LT in college? Why couldnt be an all pro RT for us? Move Leary back into the starting lineup at RG. Problem solved.

Leary under contract for just one year, Free costing $6.5 million for 2017. Then what?

You're either playing Martin out of position or looking for a tackle. Again, I disagree with your plug and play simplifying.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No problem. I feel the same way, and more about drafting a running back at #4. Completely unnecessary and a waste of draft resources and cap space.

You mean you are for drafting Elliott at 4 or not drafting him?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Really? LT is one of the most important. But I have never heard someone claim that RT was a prime position. Not once.

I don't care about what you have and haven't heard. The tackle positions are important positions.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don't care about what you have and haven't heard. The tackle positions are important positions.

LT is by far and away one of the most important in football. RT is not. And clearly they are not even close to equal in importance as you just suggested. Big difference between the two. Its called "QB blind side".

Now if you arent certain about that then there is no point in discussing further.