Larry Fitzgerald - Our FA pickup next year?

cnhnyy

Reaction score
I would give up a No.1 for him if it is what needs.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

FITZGERALD EYEBALLING ARIZONA EXIT?

Only two regular-season games into the Ken Whisenhunt era, rumors already are flying receiver Larry Fitzgerald is looking to leave the Cardinals when his rookie contract ends.

Fitzgerald, as the rumor goes, is not a big fan of Whisenhunt's run-based offense, and for good reason. Fitzgerald currently is averaging only five catches and 53.5 yards per game, which puts him on pace for 80 receptions and 856 receiving yards for the season. He currently has no receiving touchdowns in 2007.

There's no indication that Fitzgerald, the No. 3 overall pick in the 2004 draft, plans to try to force his way out prematurely. Based on the escalators in his rookie contract, there was speculation when it was signed that the Cardinals would likely have to extend the deal after four seasons. Since this is Fitzgerald's fourth season, and given that it's hard to justify two highly-paid wideouts (Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin) if the offense doesn't take full advantage of both of their skills, it could be time for the Cardinals to think about trading Fitzgerald.

One potential destination would be Minnesota, given that Fitzgerald is a native of Minneapolis and worked as a ball boy during the days of Cris Carter and Randy Moss. Though plenty of folks are murmuring about the Vikes possibly sniffing around Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, we think it makes more sense for the Vikes try to bring Fitzgerald home.

Especially if the team wants to sell out the Metrodome on a regular basis.

jbsg02

Reaction score
I think any WR would love to come here seeing how Jason Garrett runs the O now. I HATE trading first day draft picks for players, but since we have 2 firsts, and he is a proven young player, it might be worth it. The chances are SLIM that it would ever happen though

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Id definately give a #1 for Fitz. Even thought hes kind of crazy to be sqwaking after 2 weeks. He will get his chances.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
air0208;1657598 said:
Id definately give a #1 for Fitz. Even thought hes kind of crazy to be sqwaking after 2 weeks. He will get his chances.

no way can you trade that number 1 for him.

Number 1s are too valuable.

Trading for wr does not work out in general and can really hold your team hostage in the future.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I sure wouldn't trade Cleveland's pick, but I'd certainly consider trading our own. Why not? Our pick isn't going to be a high first round pick (# 32 hopefully). Fitzgerald certainly is a first round draft pick, he's young, and he's a known comodity.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Star4Ever;1657633 said:
I sure wouldn't trade Cleveland's pick, but I'd certainly consider trading our own. Why not? Our pick isn't going to be a high first round pick (# 32 hopefully). Fitzgerald certainly is a first round draft pick, he's young, and he's a known comodity.

Exactly!

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I'll give Az two #1's for Fitzgerald today, Spears and Carpenter that is. Get on the phone and make it happen Jerry.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1657630 said:
That would fix our WR problem

uhh...what problem? out side of Glenn being hurt that is

Eddie

Reaction score
the kid 05;1657659 said:
uhh...what problem? out side of Glenn being hurt that is

Glenn will be gone in 08 and TO will be almost 35.

That's a problem.

Reaction score
I would trade our first for him without even thinking twice about it. He's one of the top 10 wideouts in the league, and he's young.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
Star4Ever;1657633 said:
Yup! I totally agree w/ that. I'd rather have a young, proven WR instead of an unproven one w/ our 1st rounder. Make it so JJ..... :starspin

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
Instead of giving up a draft pick for Fitz, why not just give up dough for an '08 FA WR like ARI's Bryant Johnson or Bernard Berrian?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
DawnOfANewD;1657880 said:
Instead of giving up a draft pick for Fitz, why not just give up dough for an '08 FA WR like ARI's Bryant Johnson or Bernard Berrian?
I would definitely have interest in Berrian, he's got speed and pretty good productivity despite his qb. Bryant Johnson would have to be pretty cheap to have any interest because he hasn't shown much consistency in zona.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
He is one of my 2 favorite young WRs in the NFL. I swear he could catch a BB if you shot it near his hands.

QT

Reaction score
Get er done... Fitzgerald is one of my favorite receivers.

btcutter

Reaction score
theebs;1657624 said:
no way can you trade that number 1 for him.

Number 1s are too valuable.

Trading for wr does not work out in general and can really hold your team hostage in the future.

You got to be kidding. Over half of the 1st rounders are busts and other 25% are just decent starters. Fitz is a excellent receiver and an ESTABLISHED one! Our 1st rounder next yr for him is CHEAP!

dthahn

The Doctor Is IN!
Reaction score
Forget trading a 1st round draft pick for Fitzgerald. The 'Boys will need both 1st rounders to trade up to draft McFadden. We sign Berrian as a free agent to shore up our WR corps. He's a better fit because of his speed to stretch defenses. Then, we also try to sign Assante Samuel from New England to shore up our CB position. There's no way the Pats will give him a big contract. We move Henry to FS and let Hamlin walk. Then, the Cowboys win the next 2 Superbowls BABY!!!