Larry Fitzgerald - Our FA pickup next year?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Hostile;1658035 said:
He is one of my 2 favorite young WRs in the NFL. I swear he could catch a BB if you shot it near his hands.

i'd love to see larry on the team. give arizona julius jones and a 2nd round pick maybe.

hos - what would you give up for him?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I know some folks are scared to trade 1st round picks, but if you're trading them for a KNOWN commodity, someone who has proven dominance, you pull the trigger and never look back.

Give them our own 1 (not cleveland's pick) and throw in Spears to sweeten the deal.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
i would also give up our 1st rd pick for him. he's a guy that is without a doubt worth it and would be >>>>>>>>>>> better than anyone we would get late in the 1st rd. Having T.O and Fitz next year... WOW...

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think there's much debate over whether or not Fitzgerald is worth a late 1, and I'd be very surprised if we were his only suitors. He's worth more than that.

A better question is what would AZ want for him? Depending on their respective finishes, maybe swapping the CLE pick with their own first?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
iceberg;1658121 said:
i'd love to see larry on the team. give arizona julius jones and a 2nd round pick maybe.

hos - what would you give up for him?
I'm not sure. I was reading it as he'd be a FA and hadn't thought much about it.

I will say this though, the other young WR who is my favorite I do expect will be a Cowboy. The other Roy Williams.

Gibby!

Pom Pom Waving Shill
Reaction score
It would help our WR situation long term. He's what 24? No guarantee TO will stick around after next year (or this year for that matter), Glenn may possibly be done, before or after the season. The younger guys are doing well in Glenn's absence, but I think it would be crazy if they had the opportunity to not go after him.

TO two seasons left (counting this one?)
Glenn one year left? Or is this his last?
Crayton just signed one year deal?

Do we want to solely depend on these guys? Hurd looks pretty good but...?
Hurd ?
Austin ?
Stanback ?

Reaction score
You think Detroit is going to let Roy Williams leave in FA? Besides, even if he is from Texas he's not going to just come here to play for the Cowboys when there is more money to be made elsewhere. It doesn't work like that.

Gibby!

Pom Pom Waving Shill
Reaction score
Hostile;1658242 said:
I will say this though, the other young WR who is my favorite I do expect will be a Cowboy. The other Roy Williams.

That would be cool, saw him on Dukes last night, he seems like an intelligent, upbeat guy (who can catch a helluva lotta passes) :D. I'd be ecstatic with either one!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Joshmvii;1658248 said:
You think Detroit is going to let Roy Williams leave in FA? Besides, even if he is from Texas he's not going to just come here to play for the Cowboys when there is more money to be made elsewhere. It doesn't work like that.
Detroit just paid a mint for Calvin Johnson, he is producing and they still have Sean McDonlad and Mike Furrey.

I happen to know through a friend that he wants to play here.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Hostile;1658257 said:
Detroit just paid a mint for Calvin Johnson, he is producing and they still have Sean mcDonlad and Mike Furrey.

are they both going to be UFAs? no sense in trading if you're going to lose 'em *or* you can pick 'em up by being the highest bidder.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
iceberg;1658259 said:
are they both going to be UFAs? no sense in trading if you're going to lose 'em *or* you can pick 'em up by being the highest bidder.
I am not sure when Williams will be a FA. If we got both I'd have an accident.

I think TO will play here next year and possibly beyond. So both is very unlikely. But I sure like thinking about it.

noletime95

Reaction score
WOW....Roy Williams a Cowboy would be fantastic........Man I would LOVE to see that.

If the article I just looked up is accurate, Williams signed a 6-year deal in 04 that reduces to five with certain clauses that I assume he has probably met. That makes him a FA at the end of next seasn...

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
theebs;1657624 said:
no way can you trade that number 1 for him.

Number 1s are too valuable.

Trading for wr does not work out in general and can really hold your team hostage in the future.

I wouldnt trade the browns pick for him, no, i would give them ours for sure, we are really young (3rd youngest team) and one first round pick in the latter part of the round would not hurt us. since fitz would be a top 10 receiver in our offense.

Reaction score
btcutter;1658077 said:
You got to be kidding. Over half of the 1st rounders are busts and other 25% are just decent starters. Fitz is a excellent receiver and an ESTABLISHED one! Our 1st rounder next yr for him is CHEAP!

:hammer:

dillinger319

Striped Leopard
Reaction score
Hostile;1658257 said:
Detroit just paid a mint for Calvin Johnson, he is producing and they still have Sean mcDonlad and Mike Furrey.

Im from Andrews which is about 35 miles north of Odessa (Roys hometown) hes always wanted to play for the Cowboys... Ive heard he would take less money to play here then to play for someone else...I like Fitz but Roy is from here and I just feel as though that would work out better.

Reaction score
smarta5150;1658115 said:
Mario Mannigham gets my vote :)

An uproven college player over a young proven stud..

Get Real...

Good thing your not GM Jones, or you would have extended Austin through 2012...

CM Duck

I'm breaking the 4th wall...
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, from what was being said on this board, Roy(WR) is due to be an UFA after this season.

I know this is in the far future, but a WR combo of T.O. and R.W. would be awesome. I think Glenn is done after this season, and who knows if Crayton will stay after this season. I'd rather throw buckets of cash to RW instead.

I wouldnt mind Fitz, but I would rather see RW with THE STAR on his helmet

Taz

Reaction score
Clove;1658135 said:
I know some folks are scared to trade 1st round picks, but if you're trading them for a KNOWN commodity, someone who has proven dominance, you pull the trigger and never look back.

Give them our own 1 (not cleveland's pick) and throw in Spears to sweeten the deal.

wasn;t trading our first rouders for kjohnson one of the things that got us into the situation of having no talent?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dillinger319;1658501 said:
Im from Andrews which is about 35 miles north of Odessa (Roys hometown) hes always wanted to play for the Cowboys... Ive heard he would take less money to play here then to play for someone else...I like Fitz but Roy is from here and I just feel as though that would work out better.
The year before he was drafted he went to Training Camp. He told Jerry, "please draft me." They gave him a complete set of sweats and I was told he wore them at the practice. He has never shied away from the fact he wants to play here.