CFZ Last Decade: Being NFC 1 Seed has not produced many SB winners

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here’s an interesting fact: In the last ten years, the team earning the #1 NFC seed in the playoffs has only won the SB two times. Three other times the NFC’s #1 seed has made it to the SB and lost. So 50% of the time the last decade an NFC #1 seed has made it to a SB. Only 20% of the time has that team won a Lombardi.

Here are the NFC #1 seeds the last decade and how they fared:
  • 2012- Atlanta was the #1 NFC seed- they lost in the NFC championship game to SF.
  • 2013- Seattle was #1 NFC seed and won the SB.
  • 2014- Seattle was #1 NFC seed- won NFC championship but lost SB to New England.
  • 2015- Carolina was the #1 NFC seed- won NFC championship but lost SB to Denver.
  • 2016- Dallas was #1 NFC seed- lost in divisional round to #4 seed GB.
  • 2017- Filly was NFC #1 seed and won the SB.
  • 2018- New Orleans was #1 seed in NFC- lost in NFC championship to #2 seed rams.
  • 2019- SF was the #1 NFC seed and won NFC championship but lost SB to KC.
  • 2020- GB was #1 NFC seed- lost in the NFC championship game to eventual SB champ Tampa Bay who was the #5 seed.
  • 2021- GB again had top seed but lost in divisional round to #5 seed SF.
Sure it would be nice to get the #1 seed in the NFC playoffs this year. We still have a shot. But having it doesn’t mean as much as we used to think.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It hasn't. I think there's a few factors in why this is the case.

I think a first round bye hurts more than it helps. I'm not saying I don't want it because it means you get home field throughout the playoffs. Who wouldn't want that?

But the Cowboys are hot right now as is the 49ers and Philly. To kill that with a week of not playing I just think hurts more than helps.

Only thing that sucks though is playing Brady in the Wild Card game at his house.....scary thought though this team shouldn't be.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It looks like 50% to me. That's not so bad. Losing the SB has nothing to do with where you're seeded in the playoffs.

It can be a rough ride getting to the SB. Luck plays a small role in there too.
I never thought the word luck, and the NFL went together. But now with part-time, referees, illnesses, young players. I think it’s like 10% of the game in my opinion. Yep you need a little bit of luck to go to the Super Bowl today wasn’t Patrick Mahomes supposed to have five rings by now. Luck is not on their side. We definitely have a shot, go, Cowboys I believe in positive wavelengths lol.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
Here’s an interesting fact: In the last ten years, the team earning the #1 NFC seed in the playoffs has only won the SB two times. Three other times the NFC’s #1 seed has made it to the SB and lost. So 50% of the time the last decade an NFC #1 seed has made it to a SB. Only 20% of the time has that team won a Lombardi.

• 2012- Atlanta was the #1 NFC seed- they lost in the NFC championship game to SF.
  • 2014- Seattle was #1 NFC seed- won NFC championship but lost SB to New England.
  • 2015- Carolina was the #1 NFC seed- won NFC championship but lost SB to Denver.
  • 2018- New Orleans was #1 seed in NFC- lost in NFC championship to #2 seed rams.
  • 2020- GB was #1 NFC seed- lost in the NFC championship game to eventual SB champ Tampa Bay who was the #5 seed.
Sure it would be nice to get the #1 seed in the NFC playoffs this year. We still have a shot. But having it doesn’t mean as much as we used to think.
Super Bowl winner by seed.
#1 Seed - 54.4%
#2 Seed - 21.7%
#3 Seed - 4.4%
#4 Seed - 10.9%
#5 Seed - 4.4%
#6 Seed - 4.4%

Flamma

Reaction score
50% have made it to the SB. Only 20% have won a SB.

Yeah, but what does that have to do with the seed? The significance of the seed only has an impact on your conference.

Between the years of '84 through '96, the NFC won every Super Bowl. But the AFC #1 seed got there 7 out of 13 times. That's just over 50%. Your seed won't have any impact on who you're facing from the other side.

Flamma

Reaction score
Is this all time? What’s the context?

I was wondering that too. For example, a 6th seed won twice. They only had 32 opportunities. Can't win as a 6th seed if there isn't a 6th seed.

plymkr

Reaction score

I've been saying this the last couple weeks. Normally the team that dominates the regular season is not the best team in the league. That's why I'm still skeptical of the Eagles. They remind me too much of 2016 and 2021 Dallas Cowboys.

phildadon86

Reaction score

While I agree with the premise. A lot of stupid decisions lead to the 1 seed not winning.
2014- Not running at the goal line with Lynch
2019- Shanahan refusing to run the ball.

that’s 2 stupid mistakes that would make the percentages much higher

Praxit

Reaction score
...wow, so in bigger sense, its almost bad luck..lol.. How wierd.

There's no positive parlay to getting #1 seed. According to recent years.

Siroky

Reaction score

How is this a bad thing? #1 seed goes to the Super Bowl 50% of the time out of a field of 8 teams. I’ll take those odds. In that same 10 year span how often has the wild card team went to and or won the Super Bowl? If I’m correct 1 the 2018 Eagles.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How is this a bad thing? #1 seed goes to the Super Bowl 50% of the time out of a field of 8 teams. I’ll take those odds. In that same 10 year span how often has the wild card team went to and or won the Super Bowl? If I’m correct 1 the 2018 Eagles.
Didn’t say it was a bad thing. I just said in the last decade, only two NFC #1 seeds have won the SB. Is that “bad”? I don’t know that it’s bad. But it is a fact.