Latest from Ed Werder...Stewart relieved of playcalling duties

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Werder just reported that while Wade did not say this directly, that it seemed clear to Werder that Wade was taking over the defensive playcalling from Brian Stewart and would call the game himself.

Apparently, there had been some dissention between assistant coaches and players over what was being called during the games.

If Werder is correct, this might be interesting to see on Sunday. If nothing else, this change may light a fire under the defense because I believe they think a great deal of Wade Phillips.

Doctor32

Hi-Definition Warrior
Reaction score
wayne motley;2359532 said:
Werder just reported that while Wade did not say this directly, that it seemed clear to Werder that Wade was taking over the defensive playcalling from Brian Stewart and would call the game himself.

Apparently, there had been some dissention between assistant coaches and players over what was being called during the games.

If Werder is correct, this might be interesting to see on Sunday. If nothing else, this change may light a fire under the defense because I believe they think a great deal of Wade Phillips.

Werder is connecting his own dots here...
BUT
Smoke = Fire most of the at Valley Ranch.

QT

Reaction score
Just listening to GAC and Brian Brodus (official scout of GAC) said that Wade has been calling some of the plays on Defense lately. Brian says he still has connections at Valley Ranch and sources have told him this.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
If Wade hasn't been calling the defensive plays, he's a fool. If my job is on the line, I will go out doing it my way.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Clove;2359552 said:
If Wade hasn't been calling the defensive plays, he's a fool. If my job is on the line, I will go out doing it my way.

Bingo!

At least go down swingin'!

Chuck 54

Reaction score
QuanTran;2359547 said:
Just listening to GAC and Brian Brodus (official scout of GAC) said that Wade has been calling some of the plays on Defense lately. Brian says he still has connections at Valley Ranch and sources have told him this.

To me, when a coach starts stepping in and overruling some of your calls, they must be pretty bad...so now he may be switching to taking it over entirely.

Maybe Stewart wasn't making the calls that the team practices for down and distance and formations, etc....usually the playcalls should be ones that the players are expecting, not surprises that don't fit the game philosophy and preparation.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Clove;2359552 said:

Wades job hasn't been on the line until now.

Hes never even set on a Hot seat and the only time it came close was last year in the playoffs but since every team lost to that Giants team it cooled back off.

Wade is facing adversity for the 1st time. We'll see how his team responds.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score

I know while the roof was caving in during the 1st qtr, Stewart gathered the defense around and Greg Ellis got off the bench and walked away from him.

I'm all for Wade calling the defenses. He should have been doing that all along. It's the reason he was hired, no?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In his presser, Wade said they were evaluating everything. In general he made it sound like changes were coming. I expect most of those to be on the defensive side of the ball.

odog422

Reaction score

Wish I could see "changes" as being described as hitting in practice and re-evaluation of players for all positions on defense and the offensive line as well as what's been suggested here.

BigR

Reaction score
Doctor32;2359545 said:
Werder is connecting his own dots here...
BUT
Smoke = Fire most of the at Valley Ranch.

i think werder is dead on

i watched the news conference and that is what i thought also

wade was flat out asked about it and he danced around the question...but my impression was that stewart will no longer call plays

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Now.....even if this works and our guys play better or harder, what do we do about the OL? Is it a lack of effort? Is it a lack of talent? Does Garrett call plays that put the OL in difficult situations facing the defense? Has Gurode been making bad calls at the line?

Both sides of the ball and special teams, every man and coach needs to step it up, keep it basic, execute, and allow the so-called talent to make the difference on every play...and they all need to find some emotion and the will to punish the other team, regardless of score.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score

Wade said when he took the job. "I will be running the defense." I've said this 1,000 times it seems like but nobody listens. Wade isn't taking over the defense, he has been running the defense! :bang2:

Boysboy

Reaction score
BigR;2359613 said:
i think werder is dead on

i watched the news conference and that is what i thought also

wade was flat out asked about it and he danced around the question...but my impression was that stewart will no longer call plays

It doesn't matter who's calling the plays-Wade's fingerprints are all over the playbook, as is the gameplan for the GAME SET as well.

If something is seriously wrong with the game plan that Wade has 99% of his blueprints on, then something IS seriously wrong. You can have the Cookie Monster calling the plays, and it won't even make a bit of difference.

dest

Reaction score
You could tell by Stewart's face on the sideline, that he knew his job was in serious jeopardy.

Kilyin

Reaction score
nyc;2359621 said:
Wade said when he took the job. "I will be running the defense." I've said this 1,000 times it seems like but nobody listens. Wade isn't taking over the defense, he has been running the defense!

Does he call the plays telepathically? He never carries a play sheet, nor do you ever see him communicating plays through the headset. Wade does not call plays, it's obvious.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
nyc;2359621 said:
Wade said when he took the job. "I will be running the defense." I've said this 1,000 times it seems like but nobody listens. Wade isn't taking over the defense, he has been running the defense! :bang2:

It doesn't matter what he said, anyone watching the game knows stewart has been making the defensive calls on game day most of the time. The defense doesn't communicate with Wade on the sideline.