Latest from Ed Werder...Stewart relieved of playcalling duties

Bass-Assasin

Reaction score
Stewart and Houck need to be fired or repremanded, Ceratin players need to be benched there has to be some kind of punishment to players who do not perform.

How hard is it to snap the ball, or run block

Linebackers and dline have to stop the run, Our secondary needs something simple play man with the corners with the safeties covering there side of the field roaming a basic cover 2 they might understand

links18

Reaction score
Bass-Assasin;2359638 said:
Stewart and Houck need to be fired or repremanded, Ceratin players need to be benched there has to be some kind of punishment to players who do not perform.

How hard is it to snap the ball, or run block

Linebackers and dline have to stop the run, Our secondary needs something simple play man with the corners with the safeties covering there side of the field roaming a basic cover 2 they might understand

When your name is Gurode, snapping the ball in the shotgun, is an adventure every time.....

Carolina Cowboy

Reaction score
... about Capers coming in and helping, that told me all I needed to know about his capabilities. If you're the man, and you believe that about yourself (And you should at that level), why would you care if someone came in and looked over your shoulder.

Answer: Because he is missing a significant part of the male anatomy and more significantly the thing that differentiates man from other animals - A brain that allows for creative and abstract thought.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Please let this be true.

Have "The Life of Brian" Stewart help Bruce "Lloyd Chrstmas" Read.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Carolina Cowboy;2359656 said:
... about Capers coming in and helping, that told me all I needed to know about his capabilities. If you're the man, and you believe that about yourself (And you should at that level), why would you care if someone came in and looked over your shoulder.

Answer: Because he is missing a significant part of the male anatomy and more significantly the thing that differentiates man from other animals - A brain that allows for creative and abstract thought.

great point...I'd forgotten all about that.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
CATCH17;2359581 said:
Wades job hasn't been on the line until now.

Hes never even set on a Hot seat and the only time it came close was last year in the playoffs but since every team lost to that Giants team it cooled back off.

Wade is facing adversity for the 1st time. We'll see how his team responds.

We faced adversity last week when we lost to the Cards we saw how they responded when they crapped the bed on Sunday.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
nyc;2359621 said:
Wade said when he took the job. "I will be running the defense." I've said this 1,000 times it seems like but nobody listens. Wade isn't taking over the defense, he has been running the defense! :bang2:

Thank You.

I find it extremely difficult to believe that even if Stewart called all the plays, he's doing exactly what he's been taught/coached to do by Wade. So while they may say changes are coming expect more of the same.

aikemirv

Reaction score
wayne motley;2359617 said:
Now.....even if this works and our guys play better or harder, what do we do about the OL? Is it a lack of effort? Is it a lack of talent? Does Garrett call plays that put the OL in difficult situations facing the defense? Has Gurode been making bad calls at the line?

Both sides of the ball and special teams, every man and coach needs to step it up, keep it basic, execute, and allow the so-called talent to make the difference on every play...and they all need to find some emotion and the will to punish the other team, regardless of score.

Gurode has been pretty much asleep the last 2 games and that is what we do see. I can't imagine what he is doing wrong that we don't see such as line calls.!!!

newlander

Reaction score
CLOVE is so right: Why the 'f wasn't he calling the plays already? This won't solve a thing IMO.... The bucs will dismantle us on Sunday.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2359709 said:
We faced adversity last week when we lost to the Cards we saw how they responded when they crapped the bed on Sunday.

It hasn't been this bad.

Last week was just a loss.

I could have accepted a loss to the Rams if we had played hard. But we didn't even do that.

Wade faces real adversity this week.

WE play the Bucs, @ home, coming off 2 losses, banged up defense, and a banged up QB.

I cant wait for Sunday.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Well, going into the bye at 6-3 is a mere pipe dream now...we'd have to see a team we haven't seen so far this season.

Going into the bye at 5-4 would actually have me feeling pretty darn good, all things considered. I'd be happy to get a win against either TB or NYG and play competitively against the other.

Going into the bye at 4-5 with Washington waiting on the other side would be a continuation of the nightmare.

We only won 1 of 3 games that we all expected to win, so we can only hope that the team pulls up on their jock straps, the coaches read the fine print on their contracts, and maybe in addition to playing down to our competition we can find a way to play up to it as well.

Tampa Bay in Dallas and NYG in NY. Man, I just want to be in both games and sneak out of at least one with a victory and get into the bye.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Though I was pretty gung ho about firing Wade yesterday, I'm not sure that move would make the most sense.

For now...Wade should take over the defense. Let Garrett run the offense. And pray for the best.

Yes the situation we are in sucks, but this season is far form ove.r

TwentyOne

Reaction score
wayne motley;2359532 said:
Werder just reported that while Wade did not say this directly, that it seemed clear to Werder that Wade was taking over the defensive playcalling from Brian Stewart and would call the game himself.

Apparently, there had been some dissention between assistant coaches and players over what was being called during the games.

If Werder is correct, this might be interesting to see on Sunday. If nothing else, this change may light a fire under the defense because I believe they think a great deal of Wade Phillips.

So this means the Defense played more and more worse latly because Wade took over the playcalling more and more latly ?

Doesn't sound good to me that way!

BadKarma

Reaction score
If we need to fire anyone, let's start with the special teams coach - Read! That'll get the ball rolling...anyone want to be the interim special teams coach?

dfense

Reaction score
BigR;2359613 said:
i think werder is dead on

i watched the news conference and that is what i thought also

wade was flat out asked about it and he danced around the question...but my impression was that stewart will no longer call plays
It reminds me alot of when Wade was up here coaching in NY. After the "Music City Miracle" debacle, Wade was pressured to fire his special teams coach. He refused, and eventually went down with the ship. He won't sell out on his guys. Unfortunitely.

zeromaster

Reaction score
For my money, when Stewie opened his mouth last year about the "best defense" in the NFL, and had it handed back to him in the resulting performance, it wasn't very surprising he felt "uncomfortable' about Capers coming in also. Perhaps BS bought into the talent aspect and thought he could ride this year into a promising job somewhere down the line.

Well some sort of ride might still be in the works.

I would have hoped he'd try to learn as much as he can from as many sources as
possible and improve, rather than resemble what's rapidly becoming a gaping hole where the heart/head of a team should be.

jmo

khiladi

Reaction score
wayne motley;2359633 said:
It doesn't matter what he said, anyone watching the game knows stewart has been making the defensive calls on game day most of the time. The defense doesn't communicate with Wade on the sideline.

Exactly... I can accept that Wade called a lot of the plays in the beginning of the season last year, because the Dallas defense was pretty creative. The difference between the beginning of the year and end of the year was like night and day. I think he just thought Brian was ready and let him go at some point. One of Wade's biggest flaws is his extreme loyalty....

The same thing happened with Bill Parcells and Drew Bledsoe. He didn't bench him even though it was clear he sucked and was getting progressively worse.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
khiladi;2360037 said:
Exactly... I can accept that Wade called a lot of the plays in the beginning of the season last year, because the Dallas defense was pretty creative. The difference between the beginning of the year and end of the year was like night and day. I think he just thought Brian was ready and let him go at some point. One of Wade's biggest flaws is his extreme loyalty....

The same thing happened with Bill Parcells and Drew Bledsoe. He didn't bench him even though it was clear he sucked and was getting progressively worse.

thats odd. I remember parcells pulling bledsoe at the half of a monday night game in front of the whole country. Bledsoe made a mistake and he got pulled. Parcells and bledsoe are close and still pulled him for an undrafted free agent.

Dont expect phillips to make any drastic moves like that.

DFWJC

Reaction score
wayne motley;2359532 said:
Werder just reported that while Wade did not say this directly, that it seemed clear to Werder that Wade was taking over the defensive playcalling from Brian Stewart and would call the game himself.

Apparently, there had been some dissention between assistant coaches and players over what was being called during the games.

If Werder is correct, this might be interesting to see on Sunday. If nothing else, this change may light a fire under the defense because I believe they think a great deal of Wade Phillips.

That is certainly Wade's strength.

LILLURCH

Benched
Reaction score
hmmmmm............ Why in the world would Brian wanna still be working in Dallas if he isn't calling the plays on Sunday? Isn't this what a D.C. is suppose to do call plays? Or am i missing something here? If i were Brian i would just leave if this is the case. Sounds like brian is getting fired while still being on the job. Basically free pay from here on out if this is true. Maybe he is smart after all.