Latest from Ed Werder...Stewart relieved of playcalling duties

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
CactusCowboy;2360161 said:
I at least believe it is fair to allow me to respond to my post ripping and then I will leave.

1. I have been a fan all my life, lived right next door to Ermel Allen when I was growing up. I went to plenty of team meetings back then.

2. I cheered the Cowboys in thier 1-15 season.

3. I would hardly call me a bandwagon fan.

4. I have lived in Arizona for the past 13 years and go to several games, so rooting for the Crdinals is not a stretch.

5. Most of the ruder responses are obviously from younger Cowboy fans acting more like Raider fans.

You will never here from me again.

I thought we would never hear from you after that first ridiculous ship jumping thread. Bye. Good riddance. Why you continue to create threads regarding your lack of sack is beyond me. Thanks to the mods for sparing us all with the merge.

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
Disturbed;2360245 said:
The head coach (Phillips the Clown) needs to fire Bruce Read (special teams coach) and Brian Stewart (defensive coordinator) today

Bingo - Wade takes over the D and since we were informed last week that we have mulitple special ed/teams coaches...would anyone even notice Read was gone? (unless our ST actually improved :))

Stewart should be flat our fired. He gave up (sitting on the bench) during the game which is inexcusable and sends a horrible message to the defensive players.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
TheCount;2360192 said:
This is usually the last steps coaches take before they are fired. I remember before Coughlin, Fassel did the same thing with the Giants, right before he was canned.

Basically they know their job is on the line and coaches being the control freaks they ALL are would rather go out calling the plays.

Count, that sig is hilarious...you gotta get Read in there some how though

Reaction score
wayne motley;2359532 said:
Werder just reported that while Wade did not say this directly, that it seemed clear to Werder that Wade was taking over the defensive playcalling from Brian Stewart and would call the game himself.

Apparently, there had been some dissention between assistant coaches and players over what was being called during the games.

If Werder is correct, this might be interesting to see on Sunday. If nothing else, this change may light a fire under the defense because I believe they think a great deal of Wade Phillips.

I had a post suggesting mabe Wade start calling the D to give this team a spark.

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
Vertigo_17;2360299 said:
Bingo - Wade takes over the D and since we were informed last week that we have mulitple special ed/teams coaches...would anyone even notice Read was gone? (unless our ST actually improved :))

Stewart should be flat our fired. He gave up (sitting on the bench) during the game which is inexcusable and sends a horrible message to the defensive players.

I can't remember any other DC sitting on the bench with his head in his hands during a game. At any level. But I think that is how lost and over his head Stewart is at this point.

Dallas needs to find someone like the Texas Longhorn DC this year. He has the defense (very lowly ranked last year) playing better than they have in over ten years. Will Muschamp almost looks crazy with intensity on the sidelines.

6DaMagic#

Reaction score
I dont think who is calling the plays on defense or offense for that fact are going to make a differance, u got to have heart not only have heart play with heart and have the other 10 guys play with there heart as 1. If they did not play for themselves and the fans and there paychecks there not going to play harder if Wade calls the plays. They are a step behind, a step to soon, they have no discipline. I WISH THEY WOULD HAVE MADE MIKE SINGLETARY THE COACH !!!!!!!!!!!! Oh well he cant make them play with heart either. They have alot of soul searching to do to turn this car thats headed down a dead end road to a garabge of a season around. I WILL NEVER GIVE UP ON THEM EVEN IF THEY GAVE UP ON THEMSELVES, THATS HEART. WE WILL SEE ALL YOU HATERS IN TAMPA BAY IN FEBRUARY. 6 DA MAGIC #

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
ESPN'S Ed Werder reports that Brian Stewart has been relieved of his duties as Defensive Coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys. Head coach Wade Phillips will handle the play-calling in place of Stewart.

cowboys#1

Finish!
Reaction score
trickblue;2360656 said:
ESPN'S Ed Werder reports that Brian Stewart has been relieved of his duties as Defensive Coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys. Head coach Wade Phillips will handle the play-calling in place of Stewart.
now wade needs to relieve himself.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Wade just put the bullseye right on his own chest.

That is a good thing.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
trickblue;2360656 said:

Good move. Fire the jerk, Campo is in the wings as DB coach.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
If true, I wonder if Wade relented to Jerry's wishes or this was solely a Wade decision.

sacase

Reaction score
so is he still with the team or is he fired......

I think him looking at the bench looking lost didn't help his case, but in all fairness, every starter minus hamlin is out in the secondary.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
This bit of news is a good thing.....NOW what about the ST's Coach????

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;2360667 said:
If true, I wonder if Wade relented to Jerry's wishes or this was solely a Wade decision.

That's my question, too. But like Hostile said, I like this (for many reasons), but especially if it was Wade's decision. To put the bulls eye on his own chest is a ballsy move, which is something this team needs.

Boysboy

Reaction score
sacase;2360668 said:
so is he still with the team or is he fired......

I think him looking at the bench looking lost didn't help his case, but in all fairness, every starter minus hamlin is out in the secondary.

The title of this thread is misleading-Stewart was MERELY stripped of his playcalling duties. Otherwise, he'll remain on the staff(until the end of the season, prolly) and will likely be involved in the game prep et al during the week.