Twitter: Laufenberg says Gilbert and DiNucci are done

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Rush will probably be the guy. Don't think they can bring some guy in and think he will know the system really fast, but oh well you can never tell.

Right, though with a 17 game season you could conceivably lose a few games early and still make the playoffs, so he wouldn't absolutely have to learn it really fast.

Hopefully we won't have to find out...

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How did Rush look in the HOF game? 8/13 for 70 yards, 5.4 average. No tds.
How did Rush look in the Cardinals game? 7/13 for 89 yards. No tds.

Yeah he looked good this game but as far as I'm concerned they should dump all 3 backups and sign a veteran....
Yeah, it's a tenuous situation at best. In defense of Rush, in the first two games, the game plan is waived in favor of assignment performance by specific players, so he was performing with players on the bubble's edge.
The Texans game looked like a game plan and they responded fairly well (until the bubble guys came in.)
That said, I agree with having a proven vet backup as QB2.
Makes me itchy thinking about what happens if Dak goes down.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Gilbert and DeNucci may be done as per Laufenberg, but they probably won't be part of the cutdown tomorrow. Look for Rush to get the majority of snaps on the last PS game. Dallas may still look be looking outside for a vet QB, or at least, they should be.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Obviously, Garrett Gilbert has a strong arm and weak instincts. Being unable to sense an oncoming pass rush is fatal flaw for a QB. Those of us who were unfamiliar with his warts know more about them now. Let's see what becomes of our backup QB situation from here on. Perhaps, if we're lucky, we'll get a break when the final cuts are forthcoming. The C'boys staff should have enough sense to see the situation for what it actually is by now. If not, it'll be their own fault for ignoring their blindness.
He is Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson pretty much every QB that started from when Aikman retired to Romo starting with a few exceptions.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
1 of these guys will make the club. Perhaps it is Rush for familiarity but his arm is simply not NFL caliber.
My guess if they want to bring in someone who gets released elsewhere but that guy will need a few weeks to learn the offense to be ready to enter a game.

An interesting scenario could present if Chicago decides to Promote Fields to QB1 and release Andy Dalton.
If Dalton is forced to be back up he'd prefer it be here close to home.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
One thing we know for sure, or at least should know - DeNucci is never going to be a bona fide NFL quarterback. Yes I know he was playing with 2nd and 3rd stringers, but at least 2 of the ints were a result of throws that shouldn't, and wouldn't, be made by ANY quarterback who played even FCS football.

But that's the value of preseason football - let's you weed out the scrubs.

Time to head to the asthma field Mr. DiNucci...

J-man

Reaction score
GG has been the best back up all pre season, and it wasn't even close. I would be surprised if Rush took that from him due to 1 partial pre season game.