Lavar cut!!!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Dale said:
I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Parcells' office right about now to see if he'd give this move any consideration.

My sources tell me it got a loud belch after his sip of soda.

50cent

Reaction score
Dale said:
LaVar definitely intrigues me. Physically talented, fits the 3-4, but plays outside the scheme too often. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Parcells' office right about now to see if he'd give this move any consideration.

My concern is I'm not convinced LaVar is the same player since his injury. He had a double-digit sack season a few years back and seems to have gone south since.
He showed nice flashes last season when given the chance, but it just seems he will never play within any defensive scheme. Free-lances too much for BP, IMO!

rojan

Reaction score
I remember him giving Tiki 2 huge cut-backs when the skins got embarrased by them.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
He is a great fit for the Strong OLB.
And I bet he'd like to hit some Skins for a change.
Last I heard, he was considering retirement if the Skins didn't keep him.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Dale said:
LaVar definitely intrigues me. Physically talented, fits the 3-4, but plays outside the scheme too often. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Parcells' office right about now to see if he'd give this move any consideration.

My concern is I'm not convinced LaVar is the same player since his injury. He had a double-digit sack season a few years back and seems to have gone south since.

The injury is the only concerning thing. Reports of him playing "outside the scheme" never bothered me about him because he's the kind of player that trives when he's let loose. A previos Parcells-coached player that often played "outside the scheme" was LT, and we all know how it turned when Parcells put up with it and let hom play his game.

neosapien23

Reaction score
rojan said:
I remember him giving Tiki 2 huge cut-backs when the skins got embarrased by them.

I also remember him knocking Alexander loopy and giving him a concussion. He has everything you would want for an OLBer. Speed, Size, Power, and strength. I wonder if he could work with BP and play within a sytem.

Way 'nuff

Reaction score
gbrittain said:
I bet you Lavar is officialy an overrated LB now that he is released according to Skins fans.

Too funny!

Now now...LaVar hasn't played a full season in the past two seasons. He talks out of both sides of his mouth. He's funny and charismatic and always good for a good soundbyte...A great talent, and I can't lie, I wish he was still gonna be here in DC because I don't think he's realized his full potential.

But if you look at what we got for what we paid for, yeah, he's overrated.

Albeit, he's had different defensive coordinators ever year he's been here except the past two, the injury bug...

Not really sure what to make of this yet...I won't miss the drama and the sideshow, thats for sure...

I just hope he doesn't go anywhere in the NFC east, cause the last thing he needs is to play us when he's pissed off and looking to show us we made a mistake.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN said:
The injury is the only concerning thing. Reports of him playing "outside the scheme" never bothered me about him because he's the kind of player that trives when he's let loose. A previos Parcells-coached player that often played "outside the scheme" was LT, and we all know how it turned when Parcells put up with it and let hom play his game.

True, but Arrington has never shown "LT ability" when playing outside of the scheme. That's what concerns me. I do think Parcells would be able to utilize him nicely, but I don't see the upside when playing out of the scheme as being as high, obviously, as LT's.

As for the previous post about Arrington retiring if cut...since he paid the Skins to be cut, I doubt he's still of that sentiment.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
Lavar is an INCREDBILE physical talent

Speed, size, power, like people have said the prototype at LB

2 concerns as you guys have expressed

First and foremost his knee. Is it better? Is he at 100 percent? The last 2 years he was a shell of himself

And secondly, can he play disciplined in a scheme?

The 3-4 in order to work requires discipline from the LB's. It is a LB oriented scheme and if one of them gets out of kilter, you leave huge holes to run through

Personally, I am sad to see him leave. It was clear though that the Washington coaching staff did not want him, and clear he did not want to stay. There was way too much bad blood

I wish him luck except when he plays us. But I have always been of the mantra, if you can lose with them, you can lose without them. And in 6 years with Lavar, all we got was one playoff win

Reaction score
I'll take Julian Peterson over Lavar Arrington any day of the week. The Cowboys would be foolish to sign this guy, Peterson has more left in the tank to me, the ACL injury usually takes a year and a half to fully recover from so he'll be fine in 2006!

neosapien23

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80 said:
I'll take Julian Peterson over Lavar Arrington any day of the week. The Cowboys would be foolish to sign this guy, Peterson has more left in the tank to me, the ACL injury usually takes a year and a half to fully recover from so he'll be fine in 2006!

Peterson would get broken in the 3-4 just like Dat Nguyen. He is too small.

50cent

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80 said:
The fact that you refer to Peterson tearing his ACL makes me question your judgement on FAs to sign.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
HeHateMe said:
Jerry needs to bring him in to visit Valley Ranch.

And then not let him leave.

Prototype 3-4 LB at a spot we need help at.

Perfect match.

Noooooo!!!! I didn't want to lose this guy. The only good news I see is that we save this much in cap hits over the next several years:

2007: 6.4

2008: 9

2009: 11.7

2010: 11.4

2011: 13

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Peterson would get broken in the 3-4 just like Dat Nguyen. He is too small.

I wouldn't call being 6'3 and 238 lbs "too small" for a 3-4 defense. News flash he played 3-4 in the 49ers scheme.

Reaction score
50cent said:
The fact that you refer to Peterson tearing his ACL makes me question your judgement on FAs to sign.

And the fact you're calling yourself "50 Cent" shows what????

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80 said:
I wouldn't call being 6'3 and 238 lbs "too small" for a 3-4 defense. News flash he played 3-4 in the 49ers scheme.

The thought of Lavar in Dallas terrifies me. I understand long term its best for us to release him as he's overpaid and it will give big cap relief...but I hope he doesn't wind up playing against us 2 times a year. He's our most talented playmaker whos name isn't Sean Taylor.

neosapien23

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80 said:

Yeah and they are letting him go. Julian Peterson is a great linebacker, but so was Dat Nguyen. If Peterson weighed at least 245lbs, I wouldn't mind signing him. 250 lbs would be ideal.

Pabst

Reaction score
He tore his Achilles, not his ACL.

That was his point.

And, as many Dallas fans know, Achilles injuries can simply destroy a player, permanently.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
The thought of Lavar in Dallas terrifies me. I understand long term its best for us to release him as he's overpaid and it will give big cap relief...but I hope he doesn't wind up playing against us 2 times a year. He's our most talented playmaker whos name isn't Sean Taylor.

It doesn't terrify me in the least bit

He is a great physical talent, but will he fit in with the scheme?

Can he play at the level he played at in 2001?

Are his injuries past him?

Like I said, great physical talent, amazing abilty, but can he harness it? He may only have 2-3 good years left, he is 27 already