Lavar cut!!!

PrimeTime22

Reaction score
I don't want anything to do with TO, but I think Arrington would be a great fit at the other 3-4 spot if he's healthy. If he checks out health wise, we should try to get him, but if there are any questions about his health we need to stay away.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
austintodallas said:
That is quite possibly the worst set of potential off-season moves I have ever seen in one post.

I'll add that we should pick up the Q-factor. He's well rested.

lspain1

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Exactly. Lavar is no LT, but he is no Fujita or Burnett either. LaVar should finally be healthy this year, and he would love playing in a 3-4. He would be able to rush the passer more frequently and would compliment Ware perfectly. I think the deciding factor will be the amount of money he wants. If he wants a Greg Ellis contract, sign him up now.

I think this is exactly the question to ask on Arrington. I believe he is better than what we have (regardless of some valid criticisms). If he can be had for a reasonable price, then getting him for a 'win now' approach seems like a good option to me. He may, however, want a lot of money, and I'm not sure he is worth a lot of dollars because of the question marks.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
We'll lose interest when the Vikes or Browns throw a lot of money at him.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
bbgun said:
We'll lose interest when the Vikes or Browns throw a lot of money at him.

good, let them waste their money

he's a waste of time, something Joe Gibbs and Greg Williams quickly figured out up there

David

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Lavar on the radio just said he's looking to play in the NFC East next year. That's his preference. He did say he would have a hard time putting on a Cowboys uniform. He went on to mention SD and Pittsburgh as other possibilities.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
I think most important for Lavar will be a coaching staff that looks to be in place for a long time.

I think Pittsburgh and the 3-4 there would be perfect for him. He wouldn't be expect to do too much. But, he's a hometown guy, and has a lot fans up there.

I can't see Philly or the Giants going for him. The Eagles already have Trotter who was paired with Lavar. They both Freelance a lot. New York should be looking at DB's and Safeties.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
"I want to play in the NFC East to show the people in DC I can play"

"It would be hard to wear a Dallas Uniform"

He's taking the high road. Isn't pointing figures. He's looking for a family oriented team. You can hear his baby in the background early in the conversation

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
My boy in Minny emailed me and said that Lavar is big talk up there.

They have a ton of cap room, and need to improve a LB in a big way. He thinks they make a big play for him quickly.

Who knows?

Do you guys really think the desire for a Lavar by some, would trump going after OL, WR, DL, Safety?

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Wheat said:
My boy in Minny emailed me and said that Lavar is big talk up there.

They have a ton of cap room, and need to improve a LB in a big way. He thinks they make a big play for him quickly.

Who knows?

Do you guys really think the desire for a Lavar by some, would trump going after OL, WR, DL, Safety?

Thats the great thing about being in great cap shape we already have 15 mill in room, a new CBA adds another 10 mill so with 25 mill the team could get Arrington, FS,RT,K,OLB or any combo they want. Signing one player wouldnt prevent it like other nameless teams

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
Thats the great thing about being in great cap shape we already have 15 mill in room, a new CBA adds another 10 mill so with 25 mill the team could get Arrington, FS,RT,K,OLB or any combo they want. Signing one player wouldnt prevent it like other nameless teams

Ok, point missed.

I didn't doubt the cap space. I am asking about the time. I've seen a ton of names thrown around here. Is the FO going to focus on one position before another? I know you can do a few at 1 time. But, which is the biggest need? Where is Jerry going 1st?

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Wheat said:
Ok, point missed.

I didn't doubt the cap space. I am asking about the time. I've seen a ton of names thrown around here. Is the FO going to focus on one position before another? I know you can do a few at 1 time. But, which is the biggest need? Where is Jerry going 1st?

Ask 10 people what Jerry is thinking odds are you get 10 different answers. We signed 4 players in the matter of one day last season. I think we go RT,K,FS,LB in that order

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
Ask 10 people what Jerry is thinking odds are you get 10 different answers. We signed 4 players in the matter of one day last season. I think we go RT,K,FS,LB in that order

I think you could be right. It'll be interesting to see how new faces gel into a new system. (except a kicker)

wileedog

Reaction score
Wheat said:
Ok, point missed.

LBer is a huge issue for us. Shanle, Fowler, Fujita and in all probability Coleman are not starting material, and Singleton, if he's even here next year, is solid but replaceable. With Burnett still a question mark, that leaves only 2 bona fide quality LBs on the team in James and Ware.

For a team running a 3-4, that's a big honking alarm bell.

OT is obviously just as big a need, but Adams will at least be back on one side, and Pettitti should be better in his 2nd year. It needs to be addressed still, for sure, but personally I don't see it as important as a lack of LBers in a defense designed for LBers to make plays.

That being said I'm sure the O-line will get plenty of attention.

FS and K are both issues, but neither position will break the bank or be the reason that another player can't be signed. WR will probably be a mid-round draft pick this year, TO aside there isn't too much enticing out there that really provides a big upgrade for us (Randel El would be intriguing, but he's at best a #2 and is sending signals he wants Reggie Wayne $$$).

Note, this is not an argument to go get Arrington, who IMO will be too big a gamble to justify his price tag, just noting that I think getting at least 2 quality LBers through FA or the draft is imperative here.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
wileedog said:
LBer is a huge issue for us. Shanle, Fowler, Fujita and in all probability Coleman are not starting material, and Singleton, if he's even here next year, is solid but replaceable. With Burnett still a question mark, that leaves only 2 bona fide quality LBs on the team in James and Ware.

For a team running a 3-4, that's a big honking alarm bell.

OT is obviously just as big a need, but Adams will at least be back on one side, and Pettitti should be better in his 2nd year. It needs to be addressed still, for sure, but personally I don't see it as important as a lack of LBers in a defense designed for LBers to make plays.

That being said I'm sure the O-line will get plenty of attention.

FS and K are both issues, but neither position will break the bank or be the reason that another player can't be signed. WR will probably be a mid-round draft pick this year, TO aside there isn't too much enticing out there that really provides a big upgrade for us (Randel El would be intriguing, but he's at best a #2 and is sending signals he wants Reggie Wayne $$$).

Note, this is not an argument to go get Arrington, who IMO will be too big a gamble to justify his price tag, just noting that I think getting at least 2 quality LBers through FA or the draft is imperative here.

That was the best explaination I've read so far. Thanks.

just from watching the 2000 Skins, I think we've learned what happens when you load up on big name FA's.

If I were running a team in 2006. I would look for 3 or 4 blue collar guys for every "star" potential guy. New England style. Interchangable parts all over.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Wheat said:
I think you could be right. It'll be interesting to see how new faces gel into a new system. (except a kicker)

Well we added new faces last year and did btter than the season before. I think we will be ok.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
true, too bad everybody got alittle better, eh?

(except Philly)