Lawrence - Not So Much

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
With all the talk earlier in the season that the Cowboys should tank to possibly get a crack at Lawrence and all the talk about Lawrence going to be the next great QB, yet with so many people trying to make all their proclamations about Lawrence you would think he would have been an automatic lock for and gotten college football biggest award, the Heisman Trophy. But he didn't. As always, I'll wait and see what a player does in the NFL before making any proclamations.

Loso86

Reaction score
With all the talk earlier in the season that the Cowboys should tank to possibly get a crack at Lawrence and all the talk about Lawrence going to be the next great QB, yet with so many people trying to make all their proclamations about Lawrence you would think he would have been an automatic lock for and gotten college football biggest award, the Heisman Trophy. But he didn't. As always, I'll wait and see what a player does in the NFL before making any proclamations.
I've always thought Fields was a better pick for me. I don't know what it is about TL

ghst187

Reaction score
He missed at least one game and Devonta had some ridiculous highlights.
TL still had a very good year as well as career and I think any GM taking Fields over TL risks losing their job within two years if Fields doesn’t pan out. I think TL is as close to a lock as being a good draft pick as there has been in a long time. Fields could be great but I don’t think we have enough tape on him. Only played seven games so far, two weren’t good. This next one should tell us a lot though. I admit it biased a bit against Ohio St QBs....not a great history but then again OU seems to be changing their string of QB busts...

plymkr

Reaction score
TL still had a very good year as well as career and I think any GM taking Fields over TL risks losing their job within two years if Fields doesn’t pan out. I think TL is as close to a lock as being a good draft pick as there has been in a long time. Fields could be great but I don’t think we have enough tape on him. Only played seven games so far, two weren’t good. This next one should tell us a lot though. I admit it biased a bit against Ohio St QBs....not a great history but then again OU seems to be changing their string of QB busts...
Interesting post. You brought up something that I was thinking about but couldn't put my finger on it. You mentioned TL is as solid if a draft pick as anyone in the draft. I agree but does that mean he'll be a generational player? What kind of pro career do you he'll have. Or are you saying he will be a solid pro by your comment on him being a solid draft pick?

Maybe it's splitting hairs but I always think back to 89. Troy was the #1pick and was a generational player. Mandrich was a can't miss draft pick. I think there are great draft picks and also great players. By watching TL in college do you guys think he's the next Patrick Mahomes or a solid, safe draft pick. I'm just curious, since we're not getting him I'm curious what the consensus is.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The Jags or Jets better get it right this time. Both have gotten their chances at 1st round QBs and came up wrong.
Congrats Saban on your 3rd Heisman winner.
Nick Saban won the Heisman?

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
* that's quite the "zero angle" approach to acquiring build upon talent, eh? Somewhat akin to a person having only fired a gun one time, to kill a rattlesnake , yet never pulled on the trigger ever again in their lifetime,,, :huh:

Londonboy

Reaction score

How's the weather in Missouri?

phildadon86

Reaction score
What also amazes me is that everyone here who was pounding the table to do anything and everything to trade up to get TL was because Dak isn’t a winner.
What is TL’s championship record?
These people don’t make sense.

ghst187

Reaction score
Interesting post. You brought up something that I was thinking about but couldn't put my finger on it. You mentioned TL is as solid if a draft pick as anyone in the draft. I agree but does that mean he'll be a generational player? What kind of pro career do you he'll have. Or are you saying he will be a solid pro by your comment on him being a solid draft pick?

Maybe it's splitting hairs but I always think back to 89. Troy was the #1pick and was a generational player. Mandrich was a can't miss draft pick. I think there are great draft picks and also great players. By watching TL in college do you guys think he's the next Patrick Mahomes or a solid, safe draft pick. I'm just curious, since we're not getting him I'm curious what the consensus is.

I think he will be a good pro. His game reminds me of the Bills QB. I think he COULD be great but sometimes QB success also hinges on the team and staff that gets them. Not sure Mahomes could be great as a NYJ right now so good luck to a rookie. I exaggerate but you get my point.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

As if the Heisman means anything in regard to the NFL. :facepalm:

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Lawrence is what Andrew Luck was 8 years ago with all the hype. He turned out to be a pro bowl QB. He wasn’t anywhere close to the GOAT or even a Hall of Famer like some thought he would be.

But if you’re drafting #1 or #256 and you’re told your guy will make multiple pro bowls, you have to pick him.

Knotamus

Reaction score
When it’s all said and done, Zack Wilson may end up being the best QB in this draft imo.

When evaluating QB prospects, I always ask myself..”could he get away with that pass in the NFL?”. Well, Wilson has plenty of arm strength, his ball placement on his passes is superb, and decision making is great. Yeah, he played at BYU, so level of competition is debatable.. but he also didn’t have big time receiving threats like the big programs have. This kid is for real.

Last edited:

Rayman70

Reaction score
LAWRENCE is no HERBERT. He is more Blaine Gabbert. Not trying to throw shade on the kid, but he seems to fold in big games..and his mechanics are not very good. MAYBE I am dead wrong. He is def a good QB prospect, but no way is he top 5 material. Bottom of round 1, MAYBE. Zach Wilson is a better prospect. The tape doesnt lie. The kid looks pro ready.