Lawrence - Not So Much

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
With all the talk earlier in the season that the Cowboys should tank to possibly get a crack at Lawrence and all the talk about Lawrence going to be the next great QB, yet with so many people trying to make all their proclamations about Lawrence you would think he would have been an automatic lock for and gotten college football biggest award, the Heisman Trophy. But he didn't. As always, I'll wait and see what a player does in the NFL before making any proclamations.

:facepalm:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He missed at least one game and Devonta had some ridiculous highlights.
TL still had a very good year as well as career and I think any GM taking Fields over TL risks losing their job within two years if Fields doesn’t pan out. I think TL is as close to a lock as being a good draft pick as there has been in a long time. Fields could be great but I don’t think we have enough tape on him. Only played seven games so far, two weren’t good. This next one should tell us a lot though. I admit it biased a bit against Ohio St QBs....not a great history but then again OU seems to be changing their string of QB busts...
NOPE! Ohio State exposed him. He's gonna face teams like Ohio State every week.
They had nothing like that in his weak azz conference.

EXPOSED.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
yep, it will be a shocker when he goes to one of these bottom feeder teams and does bad.

John813

Reaction score
LAWRENCE is no HERBERT. He is more Blaine Gabbert. Not trying to throw shade on the kid, but he seems to fold in big games..and his mechanics are not very good. MAYBE I am dead wrong. He is def a good QB prospect, but no way is he top 5 material. Bottom of round 1, MAYBE. Zach Wilson is a better prospect. The tape doesnt lie. The kid looks pro ready.

He won the NC game his freshman year against Bama. 62.5% 347 yards and 3 TDs.

He's had one poor game versus LSU last year and against OSU this year it wasn't a good game.

I don't buy him folding in big games.

Mechanics wise, you have any source for that?
We’ve seen a lot of quarterbacks with rocket arms, but the great ones are able to loft passes over defenders and right on target to their receivers. On these throws, Lawrence is mechanically sound (we’ll get to that later) and as you can see pushes off his back foot rather than solely using his pure arm strength.
Mechanically speaking, he has a clean release that doesn’t include a hitch or herky-jerky movement. He does a good job of using his lower body to drive the ball forward and for the most part does a decent enough job of setting his feet with smooth footwork. You’ll also notice how his feet are always moving and he’s never a statue in the pocket. It’s the little things that give you the big gains.
https://weeklyspiral.com/2020/06/17/trevor-lawrence-breakdown-the-prince-that-was-promised/

Alex Rollins, whose YouTube channel breakdowns down college players film from an NFL perspective, has made his way to evaluating Trevor Lawrence.

His analysis goes into great detail in highlighted his strengths as well as potential weaknesses at the NFL level. He praises his “surprising speed” and ability to “make awkward off-platform throws on the run” that create “jaw dropping moments.” He also says he has “stellar mechanics” and a “fluid throwing motion.” Rollins highlights a play against Texas A&M to demonstrate these strengths.

https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/...reviewer-critically-evaluates-trevor-lawrence

Trevor is a great leader, very tough, and has solid mechanics. There are not many flaws to his game and he is looking like the next big-time NFL quarterback.
https://www.ffastronauts.com/post/trevor-lawrence-scouting-report

His arm mechanics are really efficient, and when he’s able to drive the ball to the intermediate or deep, the ball explodes out of his hand.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/...ces-ball-placement-situational-play-charting/

Lawrence has all the tools necessary to be a quality starting quarterback at a high level in the NFL. His arm mechanics are great and his throwing motion is snappy and appears effortless. He drives the ball well to the boundary and gets

https://dynastydraftroom.com/trevorlawrence/

I can't buy your draft placement either. The guy isn't flawless, but has the size, arm, mobility(for his size) are top notch.
The draft is also about potential, and he has franchise QB level potential. Not a lock to hit it, but I wouldn't bet against it.

Knotamus

Reaction score
^^ you stole exactly what I was thinking.... He gets no love. He IS the best QB in this draft. WHAT if he is sitting there at 10? THEN WHAT?

With the question mark of Daks post-injury play and upcoming contract negotiations..

If Wilson is sitting there at 10, I’m picking him and not looking back. AND this is coming from a Dak supporter/fan from day one. Hell, I’m a MS state fan. (If that proves anything).

Im not advocating getting rid of Dak. But it def gives the Cowboys leverage and security. Go ahead and give Dak that 3yr contract his agent was demanding last year. You’ll have 5yr control over Zack. If things don’t work out.. you have options.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
As if the Heisman means anything in regard to the NFL. :facepalm:

Actually no it doesn't but it's supposed to represent the best college player for the year so if a player isn't considered the best that year in college then why should anyone believe all proclamations made about another player on how super he will be in the NFL.

phildadon86

Reaction score
LOL. Yeah. Lets all care what the guy who said Mahomes wasnt ready and that Beathard and Kaaya were more pro ready.

TL seems to be a choker if you look at the film. Big game after big game he loses. His championship record sucks.

I mean unless you finally want to go on record and say that W/L is a team stat?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually no it doesn't but it's supposed to represent the best college player for the year so if a player isn't considered the best that year in college then why should anyone believe all proclamations made about another player on how super he will be in the NFL.

It rarely ever represents the player with the most NFL potential. Only 3 Heisman winners in the past 20 years have been chosen #1 overall. There are actually more Heisman busts than pro bowlers.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
What also amazes me is that everyone here who was pounding the table to do anything and everything to trade up to get TL was because Dak isn’t a winner.
What is TL’s championship record?
These people don’t make sense.

well duh, its better than Dak's. seriously a guy wins a championship, plays in another & has been in the CFP every year of his career and that's where you want to compare him to Dak? that makes no sense.

please say you were posting impaired.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
The Jags or Jets better get it right this time. Both have gotten their chances at 1st round QBs and came up wrong.
Congrats Saban on your 3rd Heisman winner.

If they don't you can't really hold it against them. It really is a coin flip.

Unless you're Chicago and you move up to draft Trubisky--I mean, that was bad.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
LAWRENCE is no HERBERT. He is more Blaine Gabbert. Not trying to throw shade on the kid, but he seems to fold in big games..and his mechanics are not very good. MAYBE I am dead wrong. He is def a good QB prospect, but no way is he top 5 material. Bottom of round 1, MAYBE. Zach Wilson is a better prospect. The tape doesnt lie. The kid looks pro ready.

What teams did Zach Wilson play against?

Trevor Lawrence at the bottom of the 1st? Hilarious. I would be ecstatic if Lawrence were there at 10.