Lawrence - Not So Much

Motorola

Reaction score
Problem is to get the very high pick, usually you have to be a very bad team, and one player, even quarterback, won't turn a sorry franchise into a SB winner very often.
Cowboys got Dorsett by shrewd draft dealings (and some luck), but they were hardly a bad team the year before. And despite his brilliance, how many SBs did Dallas win with Dorsett?

One. How many with Larry Allen? One.

Draft may be the best way to build a team but it's fraught with risk....
Larry Allen played college ball at Sonoma State -location in Roinert Park CA - an NCAA Division II school -- in the CCAA - the California Collegiate Athletic Association.
Nobody knew about this guy but the Cowboys --but they did some serious homework to make him a 2nd round pick\ 46th overall.
And with regards to stating. these two Cowboys HOF players one being one one SB winning roster--review the Buffalo Bills.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Any team that does not have that guy has no choice but to take a chance in the draft unless they can do what MIN or TB did. CAR tried that and it didn't work.

If the Cowboys weren't keeping Prescott, I would expect them to take a chance on one of the QB's in the 1st round. That would not be the same as trading up for Lynch when they had a QB. If they tag Prescott, I expect them to take a QB with that 1st pick. The odds of signing a QB after back to back tags are 0.

The Cowboys have until the flip of the league year to re-sign Dak right? Like first week of March? If they can't get it done in 2 months after having the last 7 months to have the structure of the deal you agreed to back in July already mapped out it you're probably right.. it aint hapnin. Either Dak doesn't want to be here or the Cowboys don't want him.. If that happens the Cowboys will absolutely need to go find a new QB. We simply cannot roll Dalton back out there next season.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It's alright my friend.. many metric tons of water have flowed under the bridge since the 70's. I only remember it vividly because I grew up in Orlando and the Bucs were the first "home" team we ever got. Also being a high school running back at the time you might imagine I was keenly aware of the running backs coming into the league at that time. Anybody remember Anthony Davis' 6 TD performance against Notre Dame in '74? Or remember when Greg Pruitt averaged right at 9 ypc his junior year at Oklahoma? Dude rushed for 1760 yards on 196 carries.. The hilarious part about that was that since he did not reach the magic 200 carry mark his 9 ypc does not count as a record.. Man beancounters are stoopid. It was an even bigger injustice that they gave HIS Heisman to Pat Sullivan that in '71. East coast bias at its finest. But I digress.

A couple of months ago I was watching a show in FS1 and they mentioned Pruitt getting screwed because he was 4 rushes short of that magic number 200. I also remember a game where Davis after scoring a TD ran a short ways along UCLA's sideline and gave them the finger.

kskboys

Reaction score
Wellll, now that Fields has been not so good 3 of his last 4 games, how do his fans rate him now?

texbumthelife

Reaction score
With all the talk earlier in the season that the Cowboys should tank to possibly get a crack at Lawrence and all the talk about Lawrence going to be the next great QB, yet with so many people trying to make all their proclamations about Lawrence you would think he would have been an automatic lock for and gotten college football biggest award, the Heisman Trophy. But he didn't. As always, I'll wait and see what a player does in the NFL before making any proclamations.

You do realize that someone has to be drafted first overall right?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Larry Allen played college ball at Sonoma State -location in Roinert Park CA - an NCAA Division II school -- in the CCAA - the California Collegiate Athletic Association.
Nobody knew about this guy but the Cowboys --but they did some serious homework to make him a 2nd round pick\ 46th overall.
And with regards to stating. these two Cowboys HOF players one being one one SB winning roster--review the Buffalo Bills.

What do the Bills have to do with both of those guys being on one winning SB team with the Cowboys?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Ya McKay could have select about 4 other guys too but he made it pretty clear when he accepted the job at Tampa Bay that he would take Bell.

All I'm saying is that McKay had a choice, which Dallas had no control over. That's luck...

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
All I'm saying is that McKay had a choice, which Dallas had no control over. That's luck...

No luck would be if McKay had said all along that he was going to take Dorsett and at the last minute changed his mind. Saying several times before the draft that he was going to take Bell took all that luck out of it.