Lawrence - Not So Much

cffl2323

Reaction score
Why have so many think that I have said that the Heisman winner is the end all be all evaluation on a pro career. All I did was point out that the sporting world has made their proclamations and raved and praised Lawrence and by doing that you, meaning the average Joe's out there, would think Lawrence had a total lock on winning the Heisman and then I pointed out another fact that Lawrence did not. I finished by saying like always I'll wait until I see what a player does in the NFL before I make any proclamations. It doesn't matter which player it is, I wait to see what they do in the NFL first. The reason I do this is because the college players that do make it to the NFL play their college careers against the vast majority of players who never get to the NFL. So I wait until I see what they do playing against nothing but NFL players.

Then I guess what I was saying is that him winning the Heisman or not is completely irrelevant to his NFL success. I think we'll all be able to evaluate these rookies much better after we've seen them playing against nothing but NFL players.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
With all the talk earlier in the season that the Cowboys should tank to possibly get a crack at Lawrence and all the talk about Lawrence going to be the next great QB, yet with so many people trying to make all their proclamations about Lawrence you would think he would have been an automatic lock for and gotten college football biggest award, the Heisman Trophy. But he didn't. As always, I'll wait and see what a player does in the NFL before making any proclamations.

Some of the best QB coming out of college never won the Heisman..Peyton, Elway, Marino, Montana, Bradshaw, Rodgers, Brady, and the list goes on and on....so that is not relevant to me. Its a popularity contest mostly.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Some of the best QB coming out of college never won the Heisman..Peyton, Elway, Marino, Montana, Bradshaw, Rodgers, Brady, and the list goes on and on....so that is not relevant to me. Its a popularity contest mostly.

I swear you're the umteenth zillion user that has read more into what I said. I will break it down in parts. First, the sporting world has made all sorts of proclamations and have given all sorts of praises on Lawrence. Second I said with all of that you (meaning all the average Joe's out there) would think Lawrence had a total and complete lock on the Heisman. Third, I made a true statement that Lawrence did not win the Heisman. Fourth I said I wait until I see any college player in the NFL before I make any proclamations.

At no place in that comment did I say that any players that did not win the Heisman would never have really good careers in the NFL. In the future if you have to reread comments more than once to get them, do it.

kskboys

Reaction score
Excuse me
According to your answer, you didn't know what reading D's and seeing the field consist of. We're discussing prospect evaluations. If you don't know what those things are, I don't understand why you'd respond negatively to a post regarding those scouting report items.

kskboys

Reaction score
I swear you're the umteenth zillion user that has read more into what I said. I will break it down in parts. First, the sporting world has made all sorts of proclamations and have given all sorts of praises on Lawrence. Second I said with all of that you (meaning all the average Joe's out there) would think Lawrence had a total and complete lock on the Heisman. Third, I made a true statement that Lawrence did not win the Heisman. Fourth I said I wait until I see any college player in the NFL before I make any proclamations.

At no place in that comment did I say that any players that did not win the Heisman would never have really good careers in the NFL. In the future if you have to reread comments more than once to get them, do it.
Man, if you wait til you see them in the NFL, then I do have to ask why you are here commenting. Doesn't appear to make any sense.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Man, if you wait til you see them in the NFL, then I do have to ask why you are here commenting. Doesn't appear to make any sense.

Answer this. In my opening comments or any comments did I personally rate or give any personal opinion about Lawrence's football abilities or did I just point out what others have said and what really happened? I did end it by saying I wait until I see what a player does in the NFL before proclaiming anything. So how does stating what others have done interfere with me waiting until I see them in the NFL?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tony Grimes played well in the Orange Bowl.

Mack Brown is really turning this program around and I love it. 2 years they almost beat Clemson, at the end of the game UNC went for 2 instead of going into overtime. That was Howell freshman year and he played better than Lawrence in that game....... no I'm not giving it up. Lawrence is overrated
I like it that any ex Texas coach is doing well. Their boosters are the absolute worst for a HC. Herman is probably relieved to get out of that snake pit.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I like it that any ex Texas coach is doing well. Their boosters are the absolute worst for a HC. Herman is probably relieved to get out of that snake pit.

It's not all of the UT boosters. It was just a couple of extremely wealthy alumni that got UT to force Brown out. After he was let go I remember reading how the AD's office was just flooded with complaints about letting Brown go. I too am happy that Mack is doing well.

My3Sons

Reaction score
If Ohio State can make him look like crap imagine what NFL defenses will do to him...
LOL
Um, he threw for 400 yards and 2 TDs on a 69% completion against tOSU

His QB ratings in college:
Freshman. 157.6
Soph 166.7
Junior 169.2

He won 41 straight games in High School and was one of the top rated HS QBs of all time coming to Clemson.

He went 34-2 at Clemson winning one NC.

He is as close to a slam dunk NFL QB prospect as I can remember. That is why you won't find any mock NFL drafts that have him sliding past the number 1 overall pick.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
LOL
Um, he threw for 400 yards and 2 TDs on a 69% completion against tOSU

His QB ratings in college:
Freshman. 157.6
Soph 166.7
Junior 169.2

He won 41 straight games in High School and was one of the top rated HS QBs of all time coming to Clemson.

He went 34-2 at Clemson winning one NC.

He is as close to a slam dunk NFL QB prospect as I can remember. That is why you won't find any mock NFL drafts that have him sliding past the number 1 overall pick.

I have no doubts Lawrence will go with the 1st pick and he very well could be good in the NFL, but I can think off the top of my head of another QB taken with the 1st pick in the draft that was a bust. This is why I wait until I see any player drafted in any round play in the NFL before making any proclamations. If the draft gurus and NFL teams had never been wrong and there hasn't been any busts, I would just go by what is said before the drafts, but the draft gurus and teams have made mistakes and that's why there has been a long list of busts in the NFL. Again Lawrence very well probably is everything they say about him, but I'll still wait and see what he does in the NFL before making any proclamations.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not all of the UT boosters. It was just a couple of extremely wealthy alumni that got UT to force Brown out. After he was let go I remember reading how the AD's office was just flooded with complaints about letting Brown go. I too am happy that Mack is doing well.
They followed that with Charley Strong with one well healed booster and the biggest jerk trashing him coming into the job.

It is always the wealthy boosters that endanger the program, just ask SMU.

My Dad played golf with Frank Broyles at Buena Vista and shared the cart with him years ago. During the round, the conversation turned to Darrell Royal, a long time golf companion and friend to Broyles, and Broyles said the struggles on the field for Darrell were nothing compared to the ones just outside his office. And he was UT royalty.

My3Sons

Reaction score
I have no doubts Lawrence will go with the 1st pick and he very well could be good in the NFL, but I can think off the top of my head of another QB taken with the 1st pick in the draft that was a bust. This is why I wait until I see any player drafted in any round play in the NFL before making any proclamations. If the draft gurus and NFL teams had never been wrong and there hasn't been any busts, I would just go by what is said before the drafts, but the draft gurus and teams have made mistakes and that's why there has been a long list of busts in the NFL. Again Lawrence very well probably is everything they say about him, but I'll still wait and see what he does in the NFL before making any proclamations.
OK, maybe you could come back and post your thoughts on him in a few years once everyone knows for sure.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
With all the talk earlier in the season that the Cowboys should tank to possibly get a crack at Lawrence and all the talk about Lawrence going to be the next great QB, yet with so many people trying to make all their proclamations about Lawrence you would think he would have been an automatic lock for and gotten college football biggest award, the Heisman Trophy. But he didn't. As always, I'll wait and see what a player does in the NFL before making any proclamations.

There isn’t a shed of evidence that Lawrence won’t be a great QB. Physically and Mentally he has it all. They just got beat by a better team this year. Every team wants the guy.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
There isn’t a shed of evidence that Lawrence won’t be a great QB. Physically and Mentally he has it all. They just got beat by a better team this year. Every team wants the guy.

Again, I've said that Lawrence could very well will be good in the NFL but I wish I had a dollar for every player that was thought to have been good in the NFL and turned out to be a bust. I already said this in another comment but I'll do it again. Going into a draft one year the sporting world kept saying how there hasn't been two QB's like them in many years and how both will turn teams around. The sporting world kept discussing which one would go 1st and which one would go 2nd. The draft came and the 1st pick was Peyton manning and the 2nd pick was Ryan Leaf. We all know what Manning did and we also know that Leaf was a bust. There was no way going by what the sporting world was saying about Leaf that anyone thought that in the NFL he would turn out to be a bust. Again Lawrence could very well be really good in the NFL but I'll wait until I see it in the NFL before making any proclamations.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Again, I've said that Lawrence could very well will be good in the NFL but I wish I had a dollar for every player that was thought to have been good in the NFL and turned out to be a bust. I already said this in another comment but I'll do it again. Going into a draft one year the sporting world kept saying how there hasn't been two QB's like them in many years and how both will turn teams around. The sporting world kept discussing which one would go 1st and which one would go 2nd. The draft came and the 1st pick was Peyton manning and the 2nd pick was Ryan Leaf. We all know what Manning did and we also know that Leaf was a bust. There was no way going by what the sporting world was saying about Leaf that anyone thought that in the NFL he would turn out to be a bust. Again Lawrence could very well be really good in the NFL but I'll wait until I see it in the NFL before making any proclamations.
Every pick is a risk. Some picks carry less risk. I am sure Lawrence falls in the less risk category.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Every pick is a risk. Some picks carry less risk. I am sure Lawrence falls in the less risk category.

I'm going to end this with something that seems just so hard for you to get. The same things were said about Leaf prior to the draft yet Leaf was a bust. If the fans and draft gurus and teams were always right there would never be any busts but there are.

Don't bother to reply because I'll just ignore it.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I'm going to end this with something that seems just so hard for you to get. The same things were said about Leaf prior to the draft yet Leaf was a bust. If the fans and draft gurus and teams were always right there would never be any busts but there are.

I can reply Sunshine. Relax it’s Sunday. I didn’t know you are so big mad at me. Have a coffee and cheer up.

Loso86

Reaction score
According to your answer, you didn't know what reading D's and seeing the field consist of. We're discussing prospect evaluations. If you don't know what those things are, I don't understand why you'd respond negatively to a post regarding those scouting report items.
Watch your tone. YOU made your post not saying WHICH guy you were talking about so I was asking you what YOU were saying and WHO you were referring to. Smart guy

Alweezy

Reaction score

At the end of the day absolutely no one gets fired picking Trevor Lawrence #1.

Getting cute on draft night and picking the guy not named Trevor Lawrence and still having the same chance of being wrong with the other guy is simply doing too much.

Trevor Lawrence is the selection every time. If I’m going to be wrong I want to be wrong with the best prospect in 10 years. If I’m right... I’m hoisting the Lombardi.

it really is checkers this time.