LB Rolando McClain reinstated

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
According to this he's a Cowboy and will be on our roster Tues.

I know you don't wanna hear it but I'm visioning a LBer trio of McClain, Smith, and LVE. Now tell me the thought doesn't excite you even a little bit .....lol

Cowboys have dibs on Rolando McClain, at $5 million for one year
Posted by Mike Florio on August 30, 2019, 6:33 PM EDT
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...on-rolando-mcclain-at-5-million-for-one-year/
The NFL has conditionally reinstated linebacker Rolando McClain, after three years out of the league due to a substance-abuse policy suspension. When he officially returns (per a league source, the effective date is Tuesday, September 3), the Cowboys will have dibs on the man who entered the league as the eighth overall pick in the 2010 draft.

Despite some initial confusion as to whether McClain is a Cowboy or a free agent, both the league and the NFL Players Association agree that McClain remains under contract with the Cowboys. The first order of business for the Cowboys will be to decide whether to keep McClain, whose contract carries a base salary of $5 million for the upcoming season.
raw

timb2

Reaction score
Rolando McClain must be broke. He burned any chance to come back to the Cowboys IMO. Just tell him to "GO AWAY"!!

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I’d be interested in knowing how long ago he applied for reinstatement and why it was held up until the day before final cuts are due. The timing is a huge disservice to the Cowboys and basically leaves them no option but to release him. Even if they wanted to get a look at where he is at, they can’t because that $5 million becomes guaranteed not to mention they’d have to cut someone valuable to keep him for a mere looksee. A week or two ago and they could have made room on the 90 for a quick look and maybe even had time to negotiate a lower salary or a trade. This looks like a deliberate act by the league to make sure Dallas doesn’t benefit from his possible return to the field, either by gaining the player or the value from a trade.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Hell, call me crazy but if the think he can still play at a high level, why NOT keep him at least this year. I don't really care about the personal stuff. The league has reinstated him and most if all agree his problem was never on the field. Bottom line, as I said call me crazy but If he can still play, I'm keeping him.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Hell, call me crazy but if the think he can still play at a high level, why NOT keep him at least this year. I don't really care about the personal stuff. The league has reinstated him and most if all agree his problem was never on the field. Bottom line, as I said call me crazy but If he can still play, I'm keeping him.
that's a HUGE IF. Not very likely.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
He retired and came back within league rules. If he can make the roster, why would you not want him to make the team?

For $5 million?

Hasn't played a down of football in over 3 years................no way in hell am I paying $5 million for that.

Swanny

Reaction score
I’d be interested in knowing how long ago he applied for reinstatement and why it was held up until the day before final cuts are due. The timing is a huge disservice to the Cowboys and basically leaves them no option but to release him. Even if they wanted to get a look at where he is at, they can’t because that $5 million becomes guaranteed not to mention they’d have to cut someone valuable to keep him for a mere looksee. A week or two ago and they could have made room on the 90 for a quick look and maybe even had time to negotiate a lower salary or a trade. This looks like a deliberate act by the league to make sure Dallas doesn’t benefit from his possible return to the field, either by gaining the player or the value from a trade.
I don't think so. They get a roster exemption until he gets into football shape.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
He retired and came back within league rules. If he can make the roster, why would you not want him to make the team?

I would give him a workout.

I dont know how his conditioning is though.

Hes missed a lot of homework.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
For $5 million?

Hasn't played a down of football in over 3 years................no way in hell am I paying $5 million for that.

He might take a pay cut. He might not want to play here. He might not be in shape. There might not be a place for him here.

All those fall under making the team. I don't get why there is negativity. He left and came back under league rules.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I don't think so. They get a roster exemption until he gets into football shape.

You could be right but everything I’ve read says they have until 3 pm today to decide what t9 d9 with him.