LB went from a question to a strength

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
there are a few posters on this forum that i respect their opinions and some are/were not happy about Vander Esch
i was supporting taking him over Evans or a guy like Ridley
when people you tend to agree with are opposed to something you believe in it can make you question your choices
i still believe the potential is there though. if he is willing to work he can be really good and help the defense
we will see very soon
I wasn't high on Leighton because his weakness is taking on blocks and getting off of blocks. Everything else is there. Unblocked he is a missile and very good in coverage. Learning how to use his hands to shed blocks can be taught and after thinking it over i think he can and will learn how to use his hands

coult44

Reaction score
Get ready to be impressed ...... this unit will move furniture and fly around the ball......3 playmakers

i

Not really, In this picture I still have at the very least least three questions. 1) How many games will Lee play this year? He's my favorite player, but his body lets him down.
2) Can Smith really play? His football awareness was as bad as I've seen. I'm willing to give him the BOTD because of the injury and the brace, but he looked absolutely lost a lot of the time.
3) LVE will need time to adjust to life in the NFL. It takes special rookies to make a huge impact when expectations are so high. I hope he's special , but we will have to see

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I’ve been incredibly outspoken about Jaylon’s 2017-18 performance, but I’m onboard with the OP (Night). I have faith in his upside, and he has the heart and motor to get the most out of his ability.

Side note: LVE, if he performs, will be leaps and bounds more impactful to this team than CWilliams.

Williams might have a “better” rookie season because he is cushioned by future HoF OL, but this team’s D (specifically LB group) will go as LVE develops and performs (and our elite WIL staying on the field, of course). With Jaylon, to a lesser extent, as his snap count will be lower at SAM. Still, the kid has that upside/ceiling and I am pulling for him. And he is intregal to us having a solid middle field. No one should count out a player after their rookie year, especially one with the pedigree of Jaylon’s. Recovering from dropfoot or otherwise. He’s off the AFO, time to shine, youngin’.

Still, our LB’s core performance lies on LVE and Lee, tho. With Thomas spelling him from time to time. LVE needs to be a massive hit, way, way moreso than Williams.

Thomas is very nice to have as a backup. Wilson got torched several times last year and I don’t trust him. Watch his game against the Rams. He was really bad. He has flashed, but he isn’t half the player Hitchens is, and shouldn’t get more than 15-20 snaps a game. If Jaylon is right, shouldn’t get even that much.

I think we have enormous upside with this group, and hoping to see Jaylon have a massive uptick in progression this season.

Good stuff @Nightman

Last edited:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I’ve been incredibly outspoken about Jaylon’s 2017-18 performance, but I’m onboard with the OP (Night). I have faith in his upside, and he has the heart and motor to get the most out of his ability.

Side note: LVE, if he performs, will be leaps and bounds more impactful to this team than CWilliams.

Williams might have a “better” rookie season because he is cushioned by future HoF OL, but this team’s D (specifically LB group) will go as LVE develops and performs (and our elite WIL staying on the field, of course). With Jaylon, to a lesser extent, as his snap count will be lower at SAM. Still, the kid has that upside/ceiling and I am pulling for him. And he is intregal to us having a solid middle field. No one should count out a player after their rookie year, especially one with the pedigree of Jaylon’s. Recovering from dropfoot or otherwise. He’s off the AFO, time to shine, youngin’.

Still, our LB’s core performance lies on LVE and Lee, tho. With Thomas spelling him from time to time. LVE needs to be a massive hit, way, way moreso than Williams.

Thomas is very nice to have as a backup. Wilson got torched several times last year and I don’t trust him. Watch his game against the Rams. He was really bad. He has flashed, but he isn’t half the player Hitchens is, and shouldn’t get more than 15-20 snaps a game. If Jaylon is right, shouldn’t get even that much.

I think we have enormous upside with this group, and hoping to see Jaylon have a massive uptick in progression this season.

Good stuff @Nightman
Welcome aboard

The talent with this group is off the charts good

Sydla

Reaction score
So in 2016 at this time RB was not going to be a strength since Zeke did not take a snap either?
Sometimes you have to take away that thinking and concept.

Yeah, pretty much.

It's not like there wasn't examples of Top 10 TBs who fizzled out in the NFL. Now many thought he'd be great but until it actually happens, there are no guarantees.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I'm hoping that this group becomes a strength but I'm not convinced (yet) that a rookie LVE is better than Hitchens. I'm also waiting to see Jaylons improvement on the field.

Go cowboys.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I'm hoping that this group becomes a strength but I'm not convinced (yet) that a rookie LVE is better than Hitchens. I'm also waiting to see Jaylons improvement on the field.

Go cowboys.
I don’t see how he can just show up and start playing better than hitch. I am sure he is good and I see him getting better each game. But learning a new system and playing in the NFL where everyone is bigger, stronger and faster.its just hard to believe.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I don’t see how he can just show up and start playing better than hitch. I am sure he is good and I see him getting better each game. But learning a new system and playing in the NFL where everyone is bigger, stronger and faster.its just hard to believe.
No argument here

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Strength is a stretch given that 2 out of the 3 are unrealized potential. LVE is a rookie coming from a small school. Anyone expecting a huge year is truly.......................

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Welcome aboard

The talent with this group is off the charts good

I agree with you about the talent part, but we have to now see that talented turn into production. If that happens? I absolutely agree that this unit can be special. And given the investment made in them, they should be.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Bowman still wants to get paid. And not as "depth".

Believe me, I held out the same hope early in the offseason, but that ship has sailed.

I am just afraid of a repeat from last year with Lee. Lee going down 3-4 games could cost us a playoff spot. I think LB is one of our weakest Defensive positions because we MAY have 3 quality NFL starters, we may not. At this point, there is no way it is a strength. Strength would be having 4 quality starters looking for playing time.