Lebreton: Boycott

Bcrav4

Reaction score
What about a "bag head" campaign? That way people can still go and make a statement.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm sorry but boycotting in professional sports is the dumbest thing ive ever heard suggested. ITs stupid. Why boycott? Why not just go and follow another team? I get the frustration. As a fan i've hit rock bottom. Even in the 5-11 seasons I didn't feel like this. But this is sports. This is no guarantee. I guess I come from a different fanbase. I'm in my mid 20's so my premiere years is when we had Hutchinson and Quincy out there. For all I can remember we've always been losing. If you have to "boycott" your team? You shouldn't be a fan of that team. I would say go to the Texans but they seem to be in worse shape then we are.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I suppose it all depends on what each fan describes as hard times. I dont tell anyone else how to think and I dont need anyone telling me what to think when it comes to how bad this franchise has become.

Unless I missed something along the way, I count 12 teams in the NFL that have had a longer drought when it comes to Super Bowl appearances. Just 12. And only 3 in the NFC. So, all except 3 NFC teams have been to a Super Bowl since Dallas was last in one. By MY definition, thats hard times. When teams like Arizona, Tampa, Philly, Atlanta etc have all been to a Super Bowl since Dallas has, then in my opinion thats a franchise failure. Like I said, I'm not trying to convince others to feel like I do...I do my own thinking and I think this team has been a non-factor for too long. Its an embarrassment IMO.

There's nothing wrong with your definition but it's a magical definition. Extend it out a bit and boom, we got 3 SBs. Raise the criteria from Super Bowl appearance to Super Bowl wins (what actually counts, I never hear one hit wonder teams like Atlanta wax poetic about their fluke Super Bowl surrounded by sucking) and boom, more teams.

You can think for yourself all you want, but organizing a boycott is all about getting people to think the same on at least what you are boycotting about. And the only way for that to happen is for the team to become actually bad, not delusional bad.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
I do say so. If you don't believe the Dallas media isn't more passive and laid back than what you see in the Northeast I don't know what to tell you. Just like the fans would be more demonstrative about what's going on so would the media.

When the Eagles were coming off horrible losses to the Cowboys and Giants, fans were already asking for Chip Kelly's head. Howie Roseman has been under fire all season until they started winning.

Here in Valley Ranch, it's all a part of the process.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
That's not why it's not going to happen. A fan revolt will never happen because people follow the Cowboys because they are interesting, not because they are (or aren't) good. Period.

The NFL is a reality tv show, and it's a good one because the characters and the plot lines always change. There's a week of content to consume in the build up to a game, and then the game itself, and then it starts over. After 17 weeks, the teams reload and change strategy, and that is interesting in and of itself. It's never going to be the case that NFL fans don't watch the Cowboys, and pretending it will in order to make yourself feel like you've got the secret answer to a question that's not even being asked isn't going to address the 'problem.' If the problem, as you see it, is Jerry Jones, it's not going to get fixed until either he dies, or he sells the team. A boycott is trying to drain an ocean with a bucket.

Correct.

The loyal fanatics that claim the Cowboys think that JJ just doesn't get it, while he is thinking exactly the same thing about them.

It's a big reality show, with new personalities, conflicts, grudges, and a new chapter every year. We watch other teams' games without the passion, but with interest and amusement -- wondering whether that banged-up veteran will still make a difference, or that well-hyped rookie will make an appearance, or that journeyman free agent whose mother is dying of cancer will finally shine, and cry in the post-game interview.

Jerry has the best venue for one of the best shows, and the controversy just builds more headlines.

He loves it.

Get used to it.

dupree89

Reaction score
You can think for yourself all you want, but organizing a boycott is all about getting people to think the same on at least what you are boycotting about. And the only way for that to happen is for the team to become actually bad, not delusional bad.

Oh I agree, a boycott is very difficult to pull off. And most people do not stay united long enough to have an impact. You are correct. But again, you say they need to be actually bad, not delusional bad. There may be tons of people like me that think the team is genuinely bad. I'm not being wise or anything here as this is an interesting discussion...But just because you categorize this as "delusional bad" doesnt make it so. Thats your opinion.

cowboyvic

Reaction score
We already had one boycott thread. At least a local writer gets what it takes to get to Jerry. If you read this column with Jerry's quotes it really is scary what Jerrah thinks

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/12/17/5427571/cowboys-fans-only-hope-boycott.html
BINGO!
Home > Sports > Sports Columnists > Gil LeBreton
Gil LeBreton

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/1...ans-only-hope-boycott.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy
Just look at some of the responses in this thread and you'll understand why a fan revolt will never happen.

They don't even know that they are the problem.
BINGO. they just don't get it.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Correct.

The loyal fanatics that claim the Cowboys think that JJ just doesn't get it, while he is thinking exactly the same thing about them.

It's a big reality show, with new personalities, conflicts, grudges, and a new chapter every year. We watch other teams' games without the passion, but with interest and amusement -- wondering whether that banged-up veteran will still make a difference, or that well-hyped rookie will make an appearance, or that journeyman free agent whose mother is dying of cancer will finally shine, and cry in the post-game interview.

Jerry has the best venue for one of the best shows, and the controversy just builds more headlines.

He loves it.

Get used to it.

Then the DFW media should have no problem reminding him EVERY CHANCE THEY GET, not softball much they peddle to the Jones Organization as is now. Are you the GM for entertainment or for fielding a quality team? There is growing belief from the fanbase that you are ONLY interested in fielding an entertaining show to generate venue, not to field a winning team with direction and purpose.. Over and Over, as would be the case in a town with real sports media. Why are you only interested in entertainment and not winning? THOSE QUESTIONS. Two posts clamoring for billboards have already been deleted, but nah, the "Cowboy Brand" is totally above being concerned about this topic or perspective?

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Cowboys fans who think nothing is wrong with this team need to get their heads check. I was a teenager when I figured out something was wrong with Jerry's methods of operating this team, now I'm 33 years old. If you are an adult and still see nothing wrong and not doing anything about it, I question your cognitive ability and your fan support of this once great franchise.

nothing you or I say or do will change anything

You can be a fan or not be a fan, Jerry will continue to run the team as he deems fit

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I agree. I think empty stadiums and falling merchandise sales would bring change. Not GM change, but certainly some change where we didn't have the lunatic large and in charge with a freckled faced puppet as a head coach. We'd see another Parcells type situation.

But that's not even relevant to me. Why any fan of this team would want to support the guy who has destroyed this franchise is beyond me. Instead of worrying about your loyalty why don't you show us your brains and refrain from feeding this beast.

says the guy with 16000 posts on a webboard devoted to said beast

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it comes down to an individual choice.

Are you content to financially support this man and the product he's giving you, or are you not?

I can make up my own mind and my answer is No.

But another person may make up their own mind differently. I can't make them feel the way I do, but I can sure as heck not let them change my mind.

If someone is OK with shelling out their hard-earned money for this? More power to 'em. They worked hard for it and, like me, they deserve to spend it as they wish.

I won't tell anyone else what they should do and I will surely not allow them to tell me.

So, if you're OK with what you're getting, great, good for you, enjoy.

But you want to tell me my opinion or position doesn't matter, or that there is nothing I or anyone else can do about.

That is a complacent, lazy, crock of bull that I'm not buying.

I can't stop someone else from being uncaring or indifferent but they sure aren't going to convince me to follow along.

So, speaking for myself, I very much look forward to more boycott discussions and will do whatever I can - time-wise or financially - to support this cause.

Anyone who has any plans to put something together, feel free to call on me and I'll help however I'm able.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
"That is a complacent, lazy, crock of bull that I'm not buying" is how I feel when I hear fans act so naive in their complicity in all of this (me included at times). Hurt the mans ego, why are WE, as fans, protecting it? We are already making the exuses for him before it ever gets to him, "won't matter...too much money/ego to matter, etc." He loves this mentality because he can continue on with very little stigma attached to his kid owner playing GM approach. Why are you so poor at fielding competitive, playoff quality talent? If enough sports journalist begin regularly asking him this question as opposed to the vague standard, "Are you okay with your success as GM, would you have fired yourself?" tip toe dance, he would not like THAT attention. He has said so. Stop letting JJ steer the conversation EVERY time.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Some day you'll have to explain how that response made sense to you.

Warn me ahead of time so I can keep the cola away from the keyboard.

JJ's main money maker is advertisements from Cowboys Message Forums? Otherwise, ?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Done my part................

1462881_10201330360095379_751581532_n.jpg