Lebreton: Boycott

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
A boycott is an ok idea. Personally, I won't buy and haven't bought merchandise in a long while. I live in pittsburgh and haven't seen the stadium, I no longer plan on attending a game there.
The stadium if not filled by Cowboys fans will still sell plenty of tickets to opposing fans.
The reason a boycott will have little impact is that the NFL tv package is worth billions of dollars. The gravy train will continue to pull up to the Jones mansion.
Folks, we are stuck with this bumbling idiot and his family. Nothing will change that, but I do feel slightly better venting on here and places like twitter. It's all I've got.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
A boycott is an ok idea. Personally, I won't buy and haven't bought merchandise in a long while. I live in pittsburgh and haven't seen the stadium, I no longer plan on attending a game there.
The stadium if not filled by Cowboys fans will still sell plenty of tickets to opposing fans.
The reason a boycott will have little impact is that the NFL tv package is worth billions of dollars. The gravy train will continue to pull up to the Jones mansion.
Folks, we are stuck with this bumbling idiot and his family. Nothing will change that, but I do feel slightly better venting on here and places like twitter. It's all I've got.

I agree and totally hear you, that is why his ego, not his pockets must be the target. When the conversation turns to other fans filling his entertainment complex to watch Cowboys games, and a growing resentment that he is content with mere entertainment, and not winning, wouldn't make him smile as proudly.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Since there is a large group that wouldn't boycott the answer is the side of the stadium facing Jerry's suite should turn over placards at the same time that all end up saying "fire yourself Jerry." Funny, embarrassing and a message nonetheless :)

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I haven't bought anything Cowboys in a while, but your mistaken if you think your not contributing by simply watching the games on TV. Ratings = advertising money for Cowboys.

I think this is pretty stupid anyhow. I mean, there are so many things in this world that need reactionary change that to focus your efforts (and funds) on a game is just, well, sad.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I haven't bought anything Cowboys in a while, but your mistaken if you think your not contributing by simply watching the games on TV. Ratings = advertising money for Cowboys.

I think this is pretty stupid anyhow. I mean, there are so many things in this world that need reactionary change that to focus your efforts (and funds) on a game is just, well, sad.

But just as with any social cause, there needs to be force to push for change. That is all this is really. We all have talked about it, but are just trying to apply it. Baby steps.

cowboys2233

Reaction score

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Won't work if someone tries to manufacture apathy by telling everyone to be apathetic. Apathy, like a lack of demand for a product, is something that happens naturally.

Fair point, I guess us naysayers are kind've fortelling that these optimist type fans will eventually have their nose broken as well and start to open their noses like the rest of us. But you are right, you can't force someone to feel an emotion that hasn't developed to that breaking point yet.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Fair point, I guess us naysayers are kind've fortelling that these optimist type fans will eventually have their nose broken as well and start to open their noses like the rest of us. But you are right, you can't force someone to feel an emotion that hasn't developed to that breaking point yet.

Right, which is not to say that a boycott is apathy. In fact, they are on entirely different ends of the spectrum. A boycott is the reaction to a strong emotion regarding a service or product -- a negative emotion, yes, but a strong one nonetheless. Apathy is a lack of emotion, you just don't care. So the boycott could still be a good idea but this writer shouldn't label it as apathy because it's not.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Right, which is not to say that a boycott is apathy. In fact, they are on entirely different ends of the spectrum. A boycott is the reaction to a strong emotion regarding a service or product -- a negative emotion, yes, but a strong one nonetheless. Apathy is a lack of emotion, you just don't care. So the boycott could still be a good idea but this writer shouldn't label it as apathy because it's not.

You are correct but I think apathy, though defined as losing interest in something you once loved, can be nipped right beforehand :) I guess it would be fan naiveness and us those who share resentment moreso than apathy.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
lol now other fans are the problem. the flailing and grasping for a scapegoat is awesome!
So JJ isn't the problem? No grapsing, he is STILL the problem. He is allowed to maintain his level of autonomy due to us fans and his personal previous/current financial success. We are just thinking of ways to throw dirt in his scotch...

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Making Jones the scapegoat makes for a good martyr. Woe is we who can do nothing but suffer that of our tormentor.

I don't think about 'problems' the same way as others do here so my answering your question probably isn't going to do much for you. I think occam's razor is a copout that has been proven wrong ultimately time and again.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I really doubt something liek this can be organized in any effective way, but it doesn't mean that fan apathy won't emerge spontaneously on its own. Fedex Field has been virtually empty by the end of the last several Skins games, but do you think its going to be empty on Sunday?

Organized?

No.

But, it can be done.

Back in the late 60's and early 70's when CBS bought out the Yankees and did a terrible job with the team, Yankees fans stopped showing up. One could blame how bad the South Bronx became during that time, but they filled it right up when Steinbrenner took over and started winning again. And they stopped coming when Steinbrenner lost his mind from the mid to late 80's.

I've seen the same thing happen with Syracuse football. The issue is that some of these people in charge retire nicely and leave the repairs to the others and outside of winning the whole thing...they've lost the fans forever. Syracuse made a bowl game for the 3rd time in the last 4 years and could only manage 20,000 fans at home against rival Pitt. The Chancellor told the fans that complained about the team that they 'need to get a life' and that is exactly what they did.

I have no intention of boycotting the team. As long as I feel that Jerry wants to win first and foremost (which I still believe), I have no intentions of doing anything else.

I understand others feel different, I just wish they would 'put their money where their mouth is' and actually boycott the team completely instead of constantly posting how bad Jerry is and still sticking around as their favorite team.

I do know that in 2002 the Cowboys slipped to 4th in the Harris Interactive Poll in 'favorite team' and after that he ended up bringing Parcells in. So, the excuse 'well, I just watch games and don't give him money' falls short with me. I think proclaiming them as a favorite team, following their Facebook and Twitter accounts and posting here are all KPI metrics the organization can use to gauge fan morale. So if anybody wants to see change, they need to leave the team all together.

YR

links18

Reaction score
Organized?

I do know that in 2002 the Cowboys slipped to 4th in the Harris Interactive Poll in 'favorite team' and after that he ended up bringing Parcells in. So, the excuse 'well, I just watch games and don't give him money' falls short with me. I think proclaiming them as a favorite team, following their Facebook and Twitter accounts and posting here are all KPI metrics the organization can use to gauge fan morale. So if anybody wants to see change, they need to leave the team all together

YR

Yeah, but if they did that, they wouldn't be fans anymore and hence wouldn't care what Jerry did. In fact, as fans of some other team (Seahawks?) they would actually want Jerry to stay in charge so he could run a rival into the ground even further. I am afraid there is a bit of circular reasoning here.

I also think its rather irrelevant if Jerry wants to win or not. I actually agree with you that he does. I don't buy all the "he only cares about money" line. But, I think he is just a very rich fan who was able to make his dream come true of owning the Cowboys, but now continues to live in a dream world where he thinks this team is actually close to competing. Its not his intentions that matter; its the results. But to say that in order to force change one has to stop being a fan, seems rather self-defeating.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Yeah, but if they did that, they wouldn't be fans anymore and hence wouldn't care what Jerry did. In fact, as fans of some other team (Seahawks?) they would actually want Jerry to stay in charge so he could run a rival into the ground even further. I am afraid there is a bit of circular reasoning here.

I also think its rather irrelevant if Jerry wants to win or not. I actually agree with you that he does. I don't buy all the "he only cares about money" line. But, I think he is just a very rich fan who was able to make his dream come true of owning the Cowboys, but now continues to live in a dream world where he thinks this team is actually close to competing. Its not his intentions that matter; its the results. But to say that in order to force change one has to stop being a fan, seems rather self-defeating.

I want people to do what they say they are going to do. Otherwise it's just empty threats and lies.

YR

Dodger12

Reaction score
I'm not a local, but it seems like the Dallas media although skeptical of Jerry, don't openly confront him that often. If he got hammered on his radio shows more often perhaps his hobby and media personality fantasy world wouldn't be that appealing to him anymore.

Very true. Jerry would get absolutely killed in Philadelphia for what he does. New York too. Yet the Dallas media seems afraid of him and his first born chubby son.

You guys beat me to the punch. The Dallas media has given Jerry and his offspring a relative "pass" considering the results the past 17 years. He'd get eaten alive in NY or Philly. I used to listen to Dallas radio on the net when I had time at work and it's boring and uninformative which kind of surprised me. I'd rather listen to NY or Philly radio after a Dallas game.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
They can't be. But they have the attitude that it'll never change so no sense talking about it. That wouldn't fly in Philly or New York. It would be talked about every time a mic was in front of his face. As it should be.

Those cities have teams you can choose to follow them as the media will fulfill your needs.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Cowboys fans who think nothing is wrong with this team need to get their heads check. I was a teenager when I figured out something was wrong with Jerry's methods of operating this team, now I'm 33 years old. If you are an adult and still see nothing wrong and not doing anything about it, I question your cognitive ability and your fan support of this once great franchise.

So what keeps YOU around?