Lee - Vander Esch - Smith

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Sturm debunked the whole notion that he was getting better as the season wore on, too. He simply wasn’t playing once Lee and Hitch came back, and when he was in he wasn’t good. Even Wilson was getting playing time over him.

He really needs to improve drastically year two.
I’m rooting for him I think we all are but he was a liability. This teams knows it considering we drafted our future starting lb. yes they won’t be at the same position but this will put Jaylon in. Better position. Not to do too much

revospeed

Reaction score
Hot take: Jaylon Smith is closer to Bobby Carpenter than LVE. Yeah, he’ll have a big hit now and then, but play in and play out he’s avoiding blockers and creating holes. Finesse.

The law firm of Lee, Vander Esch and Bowman would have sounded better.

kumizi

Reaction score
Well that's not true at all

I know I know...Bob Storm. I like him, I really do, but he was wrong about Hitchens in 2014 and he's wrong here. His analysis reveals a fundamental misunderstanding of NFL linebacker play.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitJa05/fantasy/2017

You might want to inform our coaching staff because they were terrified of him being on the field much by the end of the year. In must win games, he played 30, 20, and then 14 snaps in a win or go home game against Seattle.

He only played in games 9-12 because Sean Lee was hurt. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LeexSe99/fantasy/2017

The coaching staff pretty much decided Jaylon was terrible by the end of game 6.

TWOK11

Reaction score
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitJa05/fantasy/2017

You might want to inform our coaching staff because they were terrified of him being on the field much by the end of the year. In must win games, he played 30, 20, and then 14 snaps in a win or go home game against Seattle.

It had a lot more to do with matchups and personnel than a lack of improvement. Seattle runs a lot of 12 and 13 packages, more than anyone but Dallas in fact. Smith struggled against such formations.

But there's also the fact that we play a lot of two LB sets and Hitchens was a better player in 2017 than Smith. And that's ok, because Hitchens was a four year veteran and the 9th best linebacker in football last year.

kumizi

Reaction score
But there's also the fact that we play a lot of two LB sets and Hitchens was a better player in 2017 than Smith. And that's ok, because Hitchens was a four year veteran and the 9th best linebacker in football last year.

so you don't have high hopes for LVE as a rookie...

TWOK11

Reaction score
And for the record, the previously mentioned problem with Sturm's analysis is he argues from the premise that a MIKE and a SAM or WIIL should be judged by the same criteria. He essentially extrapolated Smith's struggles at an unnatural position to his entire game, ignoring improvement in the traits that will suit him well at a more natural position this year.

TWOK11

Reaction score
so you don't have high hopes for LVE as a rookie...

Well he will be a small conference player making a huge jump in competition, but I think given how natural a fit his skillset is in a Tampa 2 or Cover 3 Sky scheme he should do ok as a movie.

My comments on Smith have no baring on LVE. Smith's natural skills suit him well as a SAM in nickel packages. If he improves like I believe he will, he will allow Dallas to use him in place of Lee in certain two LB packages at times. This will serve both to reduce the wear and tear on Lee, and given Dallas a faster LB on the field in situations that may call for that.

There will be quite a few games this year that Smith plays 60-70% of the snaps as matchups call for it, IF he has made necessary strides.

The biggest difference is he won't be playing MIKE this year

baltcowboy

Reaction score
At Notre Dame Smith was a strong side linebacker. He needs to be going forward not side line to side line. Even if he never was injured I don't think he would have been a Mike in a 4-3 defense. I would like to see him rush the passer on 3rd downs.

LVE is supposed to be the Mike but it appears he played Will at Boise State. He looks athletic on tape. Hopefully the Dline can keep the blockers off of him.

Sean Lee. The best Will in the NFL. Hopefully his body will not fail him this year. He is not getting any younger. Hopefully are lb core is better next season.

CCBoy

Reaction score
And for the record, the previously mentioned problem with Sturm's analysis is he argues from the premise that a MIKE and a SAM or WIIL should be judged by the same criteria. He essentially extrapolated Smith's struggles at an unnatural position to his entire game, ignoring improvement in the traits that will suit him well at a more natural position this year.

Yes, someone understands integrated linebacker play and that very importance on the field.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Wasn't Sturm the guy posting all those gifs showing how Jaylon can't change direction, when the tape showed that he was was really cutting fine? Smh.

Jaylon was trash against the run last year, but he was legitimately useful as a sub-package cover guy as the season wore on. Even if he doesn't improve any more, I still think he has a role to play on this team. And of course, those practices with the brace off are impossible to ignore.

Vander Esch is going to step into Hitchens' shoes from day 1. This defense was a whole different animal when Lee and Hitch were both on the field last year, and if LVE stay healthy, I think he could play at a Hitchens type level right away.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Smith will be on the bench 75% of snaps

Another "Busted" no 2 pick by Jerry!
He looked TERRIBLE out there, and it won't get better as the injury did him in.
Project players simply rarely pan-out....

DiResta

Reaction score
Doubtful. More likely they use all three significantly like Carolina does.
was just reading this yesterday
there has also been some discussion that the growing use of RPOs and more mobile quarterbacks may mean that there is going to be a higher priority on having three LBs on the field.
i mean it depends on Smiths health and Lees availability but if its full go i could see them staying in base more
they played majority of defense in nickle last year i think mainly because of the lack of linebackers and strength of the dbs

if Jaylon is healthy and they say he is (we will see soon) then him playing sam could be way more dynamic than with Wilson
he could spy and blitz more with Vander Esch dropping back
i want them all on the field if healthy

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Hot take: Jaylon Smith is closer to Bobby Carpenter than LVE. Yeah, he’ll have a big hit now and then, but play in and play out he’s avoiding blockers and creating holes. Finesse.

The law firm of Lee, Vander Esch and Bowman would have sounded better.

This is just nonsense and tells me you have no clue what you are watching. Smith had issues with lateral movement, making the right reads, biting on playfakes, and looking lost in coverage. What he did not have any issue with was stacking and shedding OL who got to the second level.

AKOYE put up a video showing him doing it. You need to look again.

Hayseed

Reaction score
As an added bonus with Vander Esch its like were getting TWO players! Holy cow,.. we can run a 4-4 with 12 men on the field and not get called for it! :muttley: