cowboyec

Reaction score
liked him at stanford.
liked the pick.
played much better sunday.
keep build'n on it.

AyeAtey

Reaction score
Lots of good tight ends came out of Stanford, smart and coached well. Two games not enough to gauge by, yes, but given more playing time, learning schemes and communicating with Dak, I think Dutch will surprise and perform quite admirably.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I thought it was a good draft also. It's a mistake to judge players too early since there are a lot of factors that can impact their development. Schultz played at Stanford so he's probably mentally sharp. I watched a pre draft video of him teaching younger players some nuances of the position and was impressed with his knowledge.

morasp--other than the fumble miscue Shultz was stepping up big time as TE #1

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Witten hasnt scored against a .500 team in 6-7 years and thats with blanket coverage. He has won nothing and got shut down everytime at the playoff level.

Gronk got double and triple teamed and still produced.

Witten never was a nucleous of a winning formula. Just the other guys around him just like now. Lmao

He was a great te yes until you needed someone to make the winning play and why he played all the snaps he NEVER MADE ANY BRO.

HE COULD GET US TO THE END ZONE HE JUST COULDNT GET US IN THE END ZONE AND CLOSE MAY GET YOU PRO BOWLS BUT IT FOR SURE DIDNT WIN A PLAYOFF GAME FOR US FOR 15 YEARS.

AS AWESOME AS #82 WAS HE WAS STILL A LOSER IN THE RED ZONE AND ON 3RD AND LONG AND ON GAMECHANGING PLAYS and come Playoff Time

Substution would have made him better. Not the same monotonous seam route or checkdown completion for 3 yards on 3rd and 10. Lmao

Substution and Rotation for better Rbs and wrs is crucial when you need a gamechanging play. These tes are worthless at that.

Jay Novachek wasnt a stud with gawdy numbers but he could make those Gamechanging plays

Witten had that 4th and 8 grab against Lions in wild card win 2014

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Ya gotta like the way Schultz is responding to his generous opportunities.
He's getting open by running improved routes and Dak is loving it.:thumbup:

glimmerman

Reaction score
Unless we get another TE he will have a big year for us. He is catching the ball so he will get the passes his way.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
C'mon, spidey. You can't be this dense!!!!! Witten doesn't decide who plays.
No he does not. The Country Club President decides who is in the Country Club and then the members get the privileges. Waller (Raiders TE Starter and Alt. Pro Bowler) is making Witten know that his last 3 years in Dallas was because membership had its privileges.

Martellus Bennett and Rico Gathers would say something totally different as they never got into the country club.

Dalton Schultz is good enough for me to find another TE or trade for OJ Howard (which will not happen as Gronk is not Gronk yet). Even Jay Saldi had is days but the Cowboys moved on to Doug Cosbie:
Just as Dupree was finishing his career, Doug Cosbie passed Saldi on the depth chart, so he forced the team to trade him to the Chicago Bears in exchange for a sixth round draft choice (#152-Eugene Lockhart) on May 11, 1983.

Cowboys need a TE, and MLB nothing has changed but the date on the calendar. After that move (Cosbie and Lockhart), the Cowboys got to their last playoff appearance under Landry. Schultz scares no defense at TE so they are going to double your WRs and cover Schultz with a LB. Seattle has very good linebackers ask Ken Norton Jr. Norton is going to expose our deficiency at TE. Cowboys must run the ball and use the RB out the backfield.

Schultz is a country club member that is a willing but subpar strength blocking TE (15 reps at 225lbs vs OJ Howard 22 reps and Waller 12 reps as a WR). Schultz is not a legit starting NFL TE. Get Jay Saldi/Dalton Schultz back to the bench and find your Doug Cosbie, Jay Novacek, or draft your Billy Joe Dupree/Jason Witten/Martellus Bennett.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Im not a witten hater. Im a Witten playing every passing snap hater. Theres just too many skillsets he was missing to be an every passing snap player. Imo. If he cant win doing it in his prime what makes ya think jarwin schultz, swaim or escobar could win something. Really? Im just a realist who wants to win. This everydown te passing scheme is trash without a potentially gamechanging receiving te. They play too many snaps. They will put up zeros at the above .500 and Playoff level.

Well how many SBs did they win throwing to Dez? Zero. Keeping Witten in his role the last few years had little if anything to do with the Cowboys' spotty performance. They had Jarwin, a much speedier (relatively, Jarwin's no blazer himself) tight end, but the Cowboys don't run a tight end based offense, they could have had Kelce on the team and they STILL wouldn't have thrown to him, imho.

He was slow, but he could get open better than any other receiver on the team, so why didn't they throw more to him when the team got inside the 10 yard line? Even slow Jason could cover 10 yards in 2-3 seconds. But they used him for blocking.

And he wasn't an every passing snap player, his last 3 years with Dallas he averaged only 88 targets a year, or about 5 1/2 a game.

But what's with the Witten bashing? He's not even on the team. I am glad he's not on the team, it's sad watching him play the two games with the Raiders, that's a relatively young team and his slowness is so pronounced. He retired when he should have, should have known better to try and come back after a year off at his age.

But we'd probably be no different, and he's far from the first player to hang on way past his prime. He won't be back next year, I just hope he doesn't get hurt...

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We havent had a steak at te in 7+ years.

So quit treating these guys like they are a steak.

Accept that ya gotta scrub for certain downs and distances and substitute for guys that have those skillsets that these tes lack.

Thats why Belichek has all the superbowls. He doesnt care about the player. Just their skillsets.

Thats why hes a great coach. Hes gonna scheme around the defenses weaknesses and not with just the top 3-4 skilled offensive players.

Jerry is a next man up coach and too quick to hand out all the snaps to unproven players. And then he never substitutes when they hit a brick wall.
Fans aren't treating our TE's as "steak" - that's just a nonsense argument you made up to have something to say. Fans are recognizing an outstanding individual game, and hoping Schultz has more to offer than many originally thought (myself included). They know one individual game doesn't suddenly make him an elite player, or guarantee he will play as well in the future.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Fans aren't treating our TE's as "steak" - that's just a nonsense argument you made up to have something to say. Fans are recognizing an outstanding individual game, and hoping Schultz has more to offer than many originally thought (myself included). They know one individual game doesn't suddenly make him an elite player, or guarantee he will play as well in the future.

It was his 1st start in the NFL, he got his chance to get substantial snaps and made the most of his opportunity. I think he walks away from this outing with a lot of confidence that he can do the job.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score

Oh hes far from a steak. Lol. Like I said he has specific skillsets. Hes not proven to be an everydown player. You have to be elite

Well hopefully those flashes of Greatness overshadow those flashes of failure. Id love to see him break out and be the kelce, erts, kittle, gronk, or Jared cook. We havent had a te in 7 years that was an eveydown player. Everydown skilled players are elite and consistent at making Game Winning plays and scoring and ypt (not completions) outweighs everything.

He had some production on Sunday. Thats awesome. He made some great catches and helped the team dig out of a hole they created for themselves. They includes him also. His first 6 quarters was mediocre at best. Lol.

Its not important whether he is great receiving te. Whats important is his SNAPCOUNTS on Passing Downs Match his skillsets and production as a player.

I can tell you this. He is not an everydown passing snap player at this point. If the Cowboys leave him on the field like they did witten in his prime and in his decline they still wont win beans in the playoffs. Lol.

Getting treated like a steak is giving a player an everysnap role. Not necessarily trying to get the ball to him on every passing snap. Lol.

Pollard is definitely a better weapon than Schultz at some downs and distances so schultz is not the 6th most dynamic weapon.

I really dont care what ya think Rogers. Youve been wrong for 7 Straight years about the position. Lol. Thats why you cant answer the questions. You have selective listening, hearing, and communicating skills when your theories of the Te do not come into fruition every year based upon the skillsets of the players. Lol.

Your theories do hold some weight. But if you think that a mediocre te can play all of the passing snaps and this team not struggle then you are selling the koolaide and drinking it also. Lol.

Do you think patrick mahomes says im gonna throw the ball to tyreek every down and work down through the progressions on every passing play. Thats a big negative. Lol

The play is set up to create mismatches based upon the skillsets of the player and a combination of both.

If schultz does have success he will get more attn and draw tougher coverages and defenders.

Hes played the best game of his career. Hes made alot of mistakes also. Those visual mistakes are a sign that he is prolly not a steak or everysnap player.

The only thing that matters is that there is plenty of substition to keep him fresh, make our offense less predictable, and more potent.

But playing a player based upon position and not talent with no substitution is completely idiotic.

If hes not a stud he will definitely turn into a dud really quick playing every snap.

Especially in the Red zone and 3rd and 20. Jason witten drew containment coverage most of the time. If he was still the prime player as a receiver that people in this forum suggest hed have more than 2 catches for 5 yards on passing plays.

Thank Goodness we moved on even though we hung on for about 6-7 years too long.imo.

Ask yourself.
Is he feared
Is he drawing a top defender
Or double team.
Is he producing
Is he making mistakes
Can he score consistently
Can he make chunk plays

Its hard to have all of the skillsets to be an Everydown te in this era. The rules favor the receiving tes and thats who is thriving so you can embrace it or live in the Nineties or the past. If the te is not a stud receiver he is NOT AN EVERYDOWN PLAYER IN TODAYS NFL.

This bassackwords thinking is what holds this team back. The team will only be as good as the everydown te position.

You think if kelce was Swaim then you gotta superbowl champ last year. Heck no. They would be 8-8 9-7 just like us

Last edited:

AKATheRake

Reaction score
He had a clean ACL tear and came out playing.

So he's showing toughness.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh hes far from a steak. Lol. Like I said he has specific skillsets. Hes not proven to be an everydown player. You have to be elite

Well hopefully those flashes of Greatness overshadow those flashes of failure. Id love to see him break out and be the kelce, erts, kittle, gronk, or Jared cook. We havent had a te in 7 years that was an eveydown player. Everydown skilled players are elite and consistent at making Game Winning plays and scoring and ypt (not completions) outweighs everything.

He had some production on Sunday. Thats awesome. He made some great catches and helped the team dig out of a hole they created for themselves. They includes him also. His first 6 quarters was mediocre at best. Lol.

Its not important whether he is great receiving te. Whats important is his SNAPCOUNTS on Passing Downs Match his skillsets and production as a player.

I can tell you this. He is not an everydown passing snap player at this point. If the Cowboys leave him on the field like they did witten in his prime and in his decline they still wont win beans in the playoffs. Lol.

Getting treated like a steak is giving a player an everysnap role. Not necessarily trying to get the ball to him on every passing snap. Lol.

Pollard is definitely a better weapon than Schultz at some downs and distances so schultz is not the 6th most dynamic weapon.

I really dont care what ya think Rogers. Youve been wrong for 7 Straight years about the position. Lol. Thats why you cant answer the questions. You have selective listening, hearing, and communicating skills when your theories of the Te do not come into fruition every year based upon the skillsets of the players. Lol.

Your theories do hold some weight. But if you think that a mediocre te can play all of the passing snaps and this team not struggle then you are selling the koolaide and drinking it also. Lol.

Do you think patrick mahomes says im gonna throw the ball to tyreek every down and work down through the progressions on every passing play. Thats a big negative. Lol

The play is set up to create mismatches based upon the skillsets of the player and a combination of both.

If schultz does have success he will get more attn and draw tougher coverages and defenders.

Hes played the best game of his career. Hes made alot of mistakes also. Those visual mistakes are a sign that he is prolly not a steak or everysnap player.

The only thing that matters is that there is plenty of substition to keep him fresh, make our offense less predictable, and more potent.

But playing a player based upon position and not talent with no substitution is completely idiotic.

If hes not a stud he will definitely turn into a dud really quick playing every snap.

Especially in the Red zone and 3rd and 20. Jason witten drew containment coverage most of the time. If he was still the prime player as a receiver that people in this forum suggest hed have more than 2 catches for 5 yards on passing plays.

Thank Goodness we moved on even though we hung on for about 6-7 years too long.imo.

Ask yourself.
Is he feared
Is he drawing a top defender
Or double team.
Is he producing
Is he making mistakes
Can he score consistently
Can he make chunk plays

Its hard to have all of the skillsets to be an Everydown te in this era. The rules favor the receiving tes and thats who is thriving so you can embrace it or live in the Nineties or the past. If the te is not a stud receiver he is NOT AN EVERYDOWN PLAYER IN TODAYS NFL.

You aren't even making sense. I tell you fans aren't treating him like steak, and you respond by saying he isn't steak. That means everyone agrees, yet you are acting as if you are somehow disproving a point.

Then later you argue that treating him like steak is giving him an every down role, but you were talking about how the fans treat him, and fans didn't give him an every down role, so that makes no sense either.

For that matter, the Cowboys didn't give him an every down role. He got it through injury. Yet here you are pretending as if it was planned to have Schultz as the primary TE.

As for him having to be elite, an elite TE is obviously a benefit, but there are maybe 3-4 elite TE's in the NFL, so it's not like you can go pick one up at Walmart the way you seem to think. Besides, while an elite TE is a benefit, it isn't an absolute requirement. The last few years the Super Bowl winner has had one, but that isn't a constant through history. There actually is more than one formula to winning - some winners have had strong running games, others not. Some have had elite passers, others not. Same with TE's.

If there was one formula and one formula only, and duplicating that formula was as easy as you seem to think, then everyone would do it.

But you have a very narrow minded and unrealistic view of the NFL. As I've said in the past, it seems to be a very fantasy football view rather than a view based on reality.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
You aren't even making sense. I tell you fans aren't treating him like steak, and you respond by saying he isn't steak. That means everyone agrees, yet you are acting as if you are somehow disproving a point.

Then later you argue that treating him like steak is giving him an every down role, but you were talking about how the fans treat him, and fans didn't give him an every down role, so that makes no sense either.

For that matter, the Cowboys didn't give him an every down role. He got it through injury. Yet here you are pretending as if it was planned to have Schultz as the primary TE.

As for him having to be elite, an elite TE is obviously a benefit, but there are maybe 3-4 elite TE's in the NFL, so it's not like you can go pick one up at Walmart the way you seem to think. Besides, while an elite TE is a benefit, it isn't an absolute requirement. The last few years the Super Bowl winner has had one, but that isn't a constant through history. There actually is more than one formula to winning - some winners have had strong running games, others not. Some have had elite passers, others not. Same with TE's.

If there was one formula and one formula only, and duplicating that formula was as easy as you seem to think, then everyone would do it.

But you have a very narrow minded and unrealistic view of the NFL. As I've said in the past, it seems to be a very fantasy football view rather than a view based on reality.

Im not talking about the fans im talking about the owner treating him like hes a steak. I know what he is. Hes no steak. This team will never win beans with a main cog on snapcounts that is average at best as a receiver.

Youre the one who has a problem comprehending

Show me who has done it
Show me a team with a scrub te that plays him every passing snap.
If so they are not a winning team. Only an ignorant coach would do that

Smart coaches dont do ignorant stuff like that

Most coaches rotate their tes even if he is good. Dallas is ran by the owner

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
I'll take any bet that we dont win squat with schultz playing every pass

You cant pick one up at walmart but they had a shot at cook, graham twice, and 12-15 other free agents in 6-7 years. Lol.

Regardless of how he got thrust into the starting position hes still a rotational player not an everydown player

Make him an everydown player and hes gonna
A) break down
B) be a part of a losing tradition for 25 years

You either have a stud receiving te or ya rotate in some sauce. Ask beasely or any slot wr who is the better weapon but still a rotational player.

Now your gonna twist that beasely doesnt play for us. you a Narc. Lmao

Hows your 1st ballot hof doing over in LA? The team is winning cuz hes just a rotation not a fixed everydown player.
They dont have a stupid coach btw

If we had 4 jerry rices your gonna play schultz anyway right?

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll take any bet that we dont win squat with schultz playing every pass

You cant pick one up at walmart but they had a shot at cook, graham twice, and 12-15 other free agents in 6-7 years. Lol.

Regardless of how he got thrust into the starting position hes still a rotational player not an everydown player

Make him an everydown player and hes gonna
A) break down
B) be a part of a losing tradition for 25 years

You either have a stud receiving te or ya rotate in some sauce. Ask beasely or any slot wr who is the better weapon but still a rotational player.
Cook has a good TE, but never elite, and Jimmy Graham hasn't been elite since 2016.

I don't disagree that Schultz shouldn't be an every down player, but you based arguments on the team intending him to be an every down player, and you also attempted to argue as if the fans made choices instead of the team. Every bit of that was entirely illogical.

Your continued insistence that a lesser player is more prone to injury than a better one is the most baffling. It's not logical, scientific or historical. Being a lesser player simply means a player doesn't play as well as a better one. It doesn't make them more injury prone.

As for being part of a losing tradition, its nonsensical to put that squarely on the TE position. For years we had the TE position covered very well and still didn't win. Tony Gonzales was probably the best TE in history, and he never won.

And the undeniable reality is that every team has strengths and weaknesses, and some areas that hold their own but may not be considered either a strength or weakness. And that includes Super Bowl winning teams.

Winning isn't about having an elite player in every role, it's about having a solid overall team that can use its strengths to overcome it's weaknesses. The fact you don't know this highlights in neon flashing lights that you never played a sport.

VABoyz

Reaction score
he doesnt have to be a STAR.. all he has to do is take advantage of the fact that he's playing with 3 number 1 receivers and a top 3 running back.. just make the catches and move the chains. he'll have PLENTY of opportunities.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Cook has a good TE, but never elite, and Jimmy Graham hasn't been elite since 2016.

I don't disagree that Schultz shouldn't be an every down player, but you based arguments on the team intending him to be an every down player, and you also attempted to argue as if the fans made choices instead of the team. Every bit of that was entirely illogical.

Your continued insistence that a lesser player is more prone to injury than a better one is the most baffling. It's not logical, scientific or historical. Being a lesser player simply means a player doesn't play as well as a better one. It doesn't make them more injury prone.

As for being part of a losing tradition, its nonsensical to put that squarely on the TE position. For years we had the TE position covered very well and still didn't win. Tony Gonzales was probably the best TE in history, and he never won.

And the undeniable reality is that every team has strengths and weaknesses, and some areas that hold their own but may not be considered either a strength or weakness. And that includes Super Bowl winning teams.

Winning isn't about having an elite player in every role, it's about having a solid overall team that can use its strengths to overcome it's weaknesses. The fact you don't know this highlights in neon flashing lights that you never played a sport.

Gronk is way better than Gonzales first and foremost. Lol.

Gonzalez played under the 90's rules

Not in the high flying points scoring era.

Were still trying to emulate the 95' cowboys.

Again you can win with the worst tes in history yes. There is no argument there.

You just wont win many playoff games if he plays all of the passing snaps

Do you understand the difference of what im saying

We can win with #82 but not if he plays every passing snap