Let’s be honest: our talent level is bottom 15 in the league

GMO415

Reaction score
We'll be fine.....if we have a real HC this team would be 11-5 easy.

GreenMean69

Reaction score

the problem is getting one that will deal with such a hands on owner .... skins have same issue with Danny Boy. I will donate organs to make sure both Danny and Jerry live forever

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Then how did Dak win rookie of the year? How did he have the 2nd best rookie season in NFL history? How did he get through the first 24 games playing lights out?

And how do you figure EVERYTHING was perfect around him? He had Romo sitting right behind him. If he screwed up he was going to get yanked. His head coach is Jason Garrett. His receiving corps was mediocre at best. Heck, Dez was out for 6 games his rookie year and he didn't miss a beat. Your analysis doesn't hold water.

Dak is immensely talented and is one hell of a QB. And he will be getting better. The thing flawed is your analysis. Dak is about as good a young QB as you could possibly hope for.

As I said before, I will enjoy watching you haters eat crow.

I guess time will tell. But don't run away when you realize that Dak is just an average to below average QB. Again, doesn't mean the team won't win games, don't mean the team won't win championships, but it will be a Brad Johnson type situation. Just hope and pray that the OL plays up to par and Zeke stays out of trouble, we have already seen that he can't play QB at a decent level when he is needed to step up his game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I guess time will tell. But don't run away when you realize that Dak is just an average to below average QB. Again, doesn't mean the team won't win games, don't mean the team won't win championships, but it will be a Brad Johnson type situation. Just hope and pray that the OL plays up to par and Zeke stays out of trouble, we have already seen that he can't play QB at a decent level when he is needed to step up his game.
We’re hopeful Dak will further develop and it could turn out like you’ve said . We could build a better team around him but we saw last year he isn’t enough to carry us on his own.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Nothing average about Dak at all. In fact its just the opposite. The kid has IT. Its the overall package with Dak. HIs mental and leadership abilities, the way he uses his legs with the dual threat, and the his passing abilities. One of the big things that has kept Dak steamrolling the offense is the fact that his dual threat with the legs has a given teams fits.

And no, what we have seen is that Dak wasn't ready to completely be MR everything for this offense when the Oline and run game went to pot in only his second year.

ON the other side of the coin, we have seen quite clearly what he is capable of, in only his first two years when he has talent around him. To me, this is the much more important factor. We aren't winning diddly with average players surrounding the QB. We saw that with Romo. But if you give the QB the pieces, can he excel and be great. We have already seen that he can, even at a young age.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak was 16th ranked in NFL last year . Given that includes 6 games without Zeke.

What we learned is Dak cannot elevate those around him. And that’s fine.

We’ll need a better team surrounding him. But once we have to pay Dak and Zeke that supporting cast will be limited .

The best solution with Daks average prolific passing skills along with his good game mgmt skills is to build a great defense because very few teams are winning Super Bowls much less appearing in one without an elite defense or QB.

Last edited:

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Nothing average about Dak at all. In fact its just the opposite. The kid has IT. Its the overall package with Dak. HIs mental and leadership abilities, the way he uses his legs with the dual threat, and the his passing abilities. One of the big things that has kept Dak steamrolling the offense is the fact that his dual threat with the legs has a given teams fits.

And no, what we have seen is that Dak wasn't ready to completely be MR everything for this offense when the Oline and run game went to pot in only his second year.

ON the other side of the coin, we have seen quite clearly what he is capable of, in only his first two years when he has talent around him. To me, this is the much more important factor. We aren't winning diddly with average players surrounding the QB. We saw that with Romo. But if you give the QB the pieces, can he excel and be great. We have already seen that he can, even at a young age.

I just think it is unrealistic to expect to have all pro talent at every position on the Offense so the QB can be good. I would much rather have a QB that can elevate his game when the team needs him to. It's all good though,, you seem to like a guy that is the ultimate definition of a game manager and there is nothing wrong with that. I like a guy that has actual QB talent and can be a game changer.. that's all. Both can be successful and both can bad. It's just a difference of likes and dislikes.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I just think it is unrealistic to expect to have all pro talent at every position on the Offense so the QB can be good. I would much rather have a QB that can elevate his game when the team needs him to. It's all good though,, you seem to like a guy that is the ultimate definition of a game manager and there is nothing wrong with that. I like a guy that has actual QB talent and can be a game changer.. that's all. Both can be successful and both can bad. It's just a difference of likes and dislikes.
Yea, there’s not much point arguing with a fan who drools over one player. That’s fine . It is what it is but a better scenario is a QB that elevates all around them not needing as much of an All Pro support.

Dak has some positives and assets but if his weaknesses continue to be exposed it could limit our potential . I love Dak as a backup and with a great defense could drive the bus.

Ultimately the success of the team will be the measurement. We shall see. I’m pulling for him.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
ut don't run away when you realize that Dak is just an average to below average QB

Two years is not enough time to make that determination. Plenty of people said the same thing about Aikman after his first two years, he got hurt a lot and had a lot of interceptions.

But we know how he turned out, right?

And before anybody starts with the "Dak ain't aikman, how dare you compare them" comments, I'm not saying Dak is as good as Aikman was even in his first two years, but for goodness' sake, it's way too early to say that...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Of course anybody can write judgment articles about the NFL, but I found this from Rotoworld, ranking NFL coaches, and found this to be interesting:
"While you weren’t looking, Jason GarrettThe Clapper — became the eighth-longest tenured coach in the NFL. Garrett has been on the job for 7.5 seasons in Dallas, finishing below .500 only once. So why does he feel so uninspiring? Having just one playoff win is a good place to start. The larger problem is that it remains unclear where Garrett provides value. He doesn’t call plays. He manages the game poorly. He does seem to have the backing of his players, but that’s not enough of an edge in a league growing increasingly analytical and forward-thinking. The nicest thing you can say is that Garrett has established an identity. The “Keepaway Cowboys” seek to dominate time of possession and avoid mistakes on defense. The formula worked in 2014 and 2016 but revealed its limitations in 2015 and 2017. There’s little room for error when the crux of your strategy is keeping the other team off the field. The Cowboys could win a Super Bowl with Garrett. He’s no better or worse than the average coach. But that’s what he is: The most average of coaches."

I added the bold print. Even those of us who think Garrett isn't a terrible head coach has to agree with the statements in bold. And while I think he can get better, he's running out of time with this grizzled Cowboys fan...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Of course anybody can write judgment articles about the NFL, but I found this from Rotoworld, ranking NFL coaches, and found this to be interesting:
"While you weren’t looking, Jason GarrettThe Clapper — became the eighth-longest tenured coach in the NFL. Garrett has been on the job for 7.5 seasons in Dallas, finishing below .500 only once. So why does he feel so uninspiring? Having just one playoff win is a good place to start. The larger problem is that it remains unclear where Garrett provides value. He doesn’t call plays. He manages the game poorly. He does seem to have the backing of his players, but that’s not enough of an edge in a league growing increasingly analytical and forward-thinking. The nicest thing you can say is that Garrett has established an identity. The “Keepaway Cowboys” seek to dominate time of possession and avoid mistakes on defense. The formula worked in 2014 and 2016 but revealed its limitations in 2015 and 2017. There’s little room for error when the crux of your strategy is keeping the other team off the field. The Cowboys could win a Super Bowl with Garrett. He’s no better or worse than the average coach. But that’s what he is: The most average of coaches."

I added the bold print. Even those of us who think Garrett isn't a terrible head coach has to agree with the statements in bold. And while I think he can get better, he's running out of time with this grizzled Cowboys fan...
I think Garrett’s best asset is his management of Jethro and Son.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Two years is not enough time to make that determination. Plenty of people said the same thing about Aikman after his first two years, he got hurt a lot and had a lot of interceptions.

But we know how he turned out, right?

And before anybody starts with the "Dak ain't aikman, how dare you compare them" comments, I'm not saying Dak is as good as Aikman was even in his first two years, but for goodness' sake, it's way too early to say that...

I disagree. It's to early to see if he will be or not be the long term answer. But 2 years is plenty of time to evaluate his talent level. There was never any question regarding the talent of Troy. He had all the tools. It was a matter of if he would put it together and be great at the nfl level. I am not questioning the success the team as had with Dak as the QB, the results are there. And I hope that continues. But that does not mean is a very talented QB. He has his good points, for sure. I like his ability to run and how that can change the dynamics of the play calling. From everything I have read, he seems to be a very good guy and that his team mates respond to him, that's great. But what we saw last year was that when we need him to elevate his game, he couldn't do it. He is what he is. He is an average to below average QB. He needs everything else to be great for him to be good. He needs a leading rushing attack. He needs an OL that will hold their blocks for 4 seconds. He his limited in the throws he can make so he needs a game plan that is designed inside the numbers because he can't throw that 20 yard out and has trouble with a fade route (could have been the WR he had troubles with, we will see). He needs WR that can get 2-3 yards of separation regularly. Now, if we do all that, like they did in 2016, he will be fine. If they don't, like in 2017, he is useless.

In the last 10 years these are your suberbowl QB winners:

2008 - Ny Giants - Eli Manning - I don't like him but he played really well in the playoffs and they had a Dominant D in the Playoffs
2009- Pittsburg - Ben - Elite QB
2010-Saints - Elite QB
2011- Green Bay - Elite QB
2012- Giants again - This is an exception to me, Eli is a very good but I wouldn't put him in Elite status But again, very good D
2013 - Ravens - Dominate D
2014 - Seattle - Dominate D
2015 - New England - Elite QB
2016- Denver - Dominate D
2017- New England - Elite QB
2018 - Philly - I wouldn't call Noles elite by any stretch but he played Elite level for the playoffs

The common theme here is that if you don't have an Elite QB (which Dak is not and will not be), then you better have a dominate D or you don't have much of a chance. Average QB and Average D does not get you where you want to be.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

You over exaggerate too much buddy. Your hatred for Dak is showing all over the place. No one is asking for all pros everywhere. But with a young QB that is developing the more help you can give him the better. The less pressure he has the better. That is all common sense. You gonna win the SB with a 2nd year QB without all pros all over the place? Good luck with that.

But hey, I would love the Rogers of the world. But that isn't very realistic. I loved Romo. But what Romo needed is exactly what Dak needs. He needed a run game and a defense. The moment he got a run game he went 13-3 and wasn't throwing all those picks. Had he been given a defense to go along with it, then we can talk championships. Its not what DAK needs, its what the team needs to get to the promise land.

Do you see Rogers winning it all every year? How about Brees? Peyton? Elway? Those guys finally won when the defense put together a great run or they found a running game. When Rogers won that D had the most turnovers in the league. When Peyton won in Indy he had two RB's run for 100 yards in the SB. And in Denver he had that incredible D. Elway didn't win diddly until Terrel Davis starting dominating the league.

Romo was a gunslinger capable of doing it all in the passing game. Didn't matter.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
You over exaggerate too much buddy. Your hatred for Dak is showing all over the place. No one is asking for all pros everywhere. But with a young QB that is developing the more help you can give him the better. The less pressure he has the better. That is all common sense. You gonna win the SB with a 2nd year QB without all pros all over the place? Good luck with that.

But hey, I would love the Rogers of the world. But that isn't very realistic. I loved Romo. But what Romo needed is exactly what Dak needs. He needed a run game and a defense. The moment he got a run game he went 13-3 and wasn't throwing all those picks. Had he been given a defense to go along with it, then we can talk championships. Its not what DAK needs, its what the team needs to get to the promise land.

Do you see Rogers winning it all every year? How about Brees? Peyton? Elway? Those guys finally won when the defense put together a great run or they found a running game. When Rogers won that D had the most turnovers in the league. When Peyton won in Indy he had two RB's run for 100 yards in the SB. And in Denver he had that incredible D. Elway didn't win diddly until Terrel Davis starting dominating the league.

Romo was a gunslinger capable of doing it all in the passing game. Didn't matter.

I don't hate DAK, no matter how much you say it, it doesn't make it true. I do not think he an elite level or even very good level QB. That doesn't mean I hate him. I just want better. And you can talk about run games and D and that is all true, the more complete team you have the better your chances, duh. But I would say, if you took rodgers, brees, brady, Peyton, etc, and put them on any team in any situation, they would still be good QB. They would make others better. That team that Peyton won with in Indy was not a great team,, it was an ok Team with a GREAT QB that made them better. They didn't need everything to be perfect to be good, they were good no matter what. Now, their team may not have had success because of the other failings but the QB was never the issue. You put any one of those QB on the Cowboys last year and we would have won 11-12 games. That's the difference between a good to Elite QB and Dak. If you can't see it, then well, that says a lot.

Again, Dak can be successful, if you surround him with enough elite talent that he doesn't have to do much but turn around and hand the ball off or make 3rd and 3 throws. When you ask him to be an actual NFL QB, he doesn't get it done. Maybe that will change. I don't think it will. He is what he is. A average QB, which is fine. We can win with that if we are smart in other areas. We will never win if we are relying on Dak to be more than a game manager because that is all he is.

Its obvious we see Dak differently. That's ok. Your unbridled love for the guy is a great thing to have. I don't have it. I know we can do better at that position and the sooner we start that process, the better off for the entire team.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
How about giving the naysayers what they want and say the Cowboys are just as bad as the Browns; we just had a better record. Out of 32 teams, the Cowboys are the worst until they win it all.

GreenMean69

Reaction score
How about giving the naysayers what they want and say the Cowboys are just as bad as the Browns; we just had a better record. Out of 32 teams, the Cowboys are the worst until they win it all.

Id give yas a slight edge over the Skins ... as they are the only team to not have a 11-5 or better record since 99

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don't hate DAK, no matter how much you say it, it doesn't make it true. I do not think he an elite level or even very good level QB. That doesn't mean I hate him. I just want better. And you can talk about run games and D and that is all true, the more complete team you have the better your chances, duh. But I would say, if you took rodgers, brees, brady, Peyton, etc, and put them on any team in any situation, they would still be good QB. They would make others better. That team that Peyton won with in Indy was not a great team,, it was an ok Team with a GREAT QB that made them better. They didn't need everything to be perfect to be good, they were good no matter what. Now, their team may not have had success because of the other failings but the QB was never the issue. You put any one of those QB on the Cowboys last year and we would have won 11-12 games. That's the difference between a good to Elite QB and Dak. If you can't see it, then well, that says a lot.

Again, Dak can be successful, if you surround him with enough elite talent that he doesn't have to do much but turn around and hand the ball off or make 3rd and 3 throws. When you ask him to be an actual NFL QB, he doesn't get it done. Maybe that will change. I don't think it will. He is what he is. A average QB, which is fine. We can win with that if we are smart in other areas. We will never win if we are relying on Dak to be more than a game manager because that is all he is.

Its obvious we see Dak differently. That's ok. Your unbridled love for the guy is a great thing to have. I don't have it. I know we can do better at that position and the sooner we start that process, the better off for the entire team.

You know we can do better then a 2nd year QB that has had two of the best first two years in NFL history?

And where do we find this Aaron Rogers clone? Great, give me Aaron Rogers. Let me know when we find him. So what are you suggesting that we use a first round pick on a QB until we find him?

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
You know we can do better then a 2nd year QB that has had two of the best first two years in NFL history?

And where do we find this Aaron Rogers clone? Great, give me Aaron Rogers. Let me know when we find him. So what are you suggesting that we use a first round pick on a QB until we find him?

You're going to be saying the same thing next year, he is only a 3rd year QB, give him time, he is only a 4th year qB, he is still developing, he has only be an NFL qb for 10 years, he will get there.. etc. He is what he is. An average to below average QB. Talking stats, wins losses, defense, running game, doesn't improve his talent level.

And yes, we should do whatever it takes to find a real NFL QB, because its hard to be consistent contenders without one. The only other option is get your D so dominate you don't care who the QB is.