Let’s talk about Dak’s completion percentage

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
no its not. in the end, how you play and how many Yards you get and the game plan. if the YPC is low and you still get your yardage, it was part of the game plan the coaches carried out.......

and in many of those games, we were within one score in the 4th quarter, so its not like you can just burn the clock, except maybe in the last couple of minutes. including this past game....... I think you comprehension and football knowledge lacks. its like you are watching a movie through a keyhole and making over arching conclusions.......

the fact is that when we are down a couple of scores in the 4th, our passing game has not been able to bail us out. so Dak collects garbage yards to pat the stats you like to throw around so much. two games come to mind, including Panthers and Titans.....

fact are we are 25th offensively....but 6th rushing team in the league..... tells you who we are and what Dak is.

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like the idea and what goes into calculating QBR, but even that can have some screwy results too.

I just have a personal issue with completion % b/c of guys like brandon weeden who gets benched with a 72% completion percentage and then there is Roger Staubach who was over 60% just once in his career. I get the folks who like Dak seize on this stat, but its very misleading in a lot of cases............including Dak's.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
What you need to be looking at is situational stats. What’s the % on third downs for a first down,red zone,ect ? That tells the story more clearly than just completion percentages.

I gave the ranking where he is on PFF - they judge these things, he’s ranked #19 with all this factored in.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I just have a personal issue with completion % b/c of guys like brandon weeden who gets benched with a 72% completion percentage and then there is Roger Staubach who was over 60% just once in his career. I get the folks who like Dak seize on this stat, but its very misleading in a lot of cases............including Dak's.

The problem I have with completion rating is exactly what I put in my post - it’s at a league wide high this year.

Are people really going to tell me Carr and Cousins are some of the most accurate QBs I’m the league? We all know they aren’t.

One of the biggest problems with the league right now, outside of the offensive favoring rules, is that there really aren’t many great defenses in the league right now.

Completion % even last year around around 63%. Maybe it dips the next 4 games, but most of these QBs will have to have some really awful games for that to happen.

Number1

Reaction score
no its not. in the end, how you play and how many Yards you get and the game plan. if the YPC is low and you still get your yardage, it was part of the game plan the coaches carried out.......

and in many of those games, we were within one score in the 4th quarter, so its not like you can just burn the clock, except maybe in the last couple of minutes. including this past game....... I think you comprehension and football knowledge lacks. its like you are watching a movie through a keyhole and making over arching conclusions.......

the fact is that when we are down a couple of scores in the 4th, our passing game has not been able to bail us out. so Dak collects garbage yards to pat the stats you like to throw around so much. two games come to mind, including Panthers and Titans.....

fact are we are 25th offensively....but 6th rushing team in the league..... tells you who we are and what Dak is.

it does say a lot about this team with a 50 / 50 run / pass they shoot for - the Boys will pretty much be top 10% in rushing attempts and bottom 10% in passing attempts
we've been doing that since Linehan arrived in 2014

for this to work Zeke and Dak have to be in the top 10 for YPA respectively

Zeke leads the NFL in rushing attempts - that's by design
4.8 YPA (about 6th)

Dak is 30th in pass attempts - that's by design
7.3 YPA (17th)
over the last 4 games (with Amari and Xavier) on the field he's at 8.0 ... which would be 9th on the season

this O is not that far from turning the corner - if the OL can heal up some they'll be fine

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
it does say a lot about this team with a 50 / 50 run / pass they shoot for - the Boys will pretty much be top 10% in rushing attempts and bottom 10% in passing attempts

4.8 YPA (about 6th)

7.3 YPA (17th)
over the last 4 games (with Amari and Xavier) on the field he's at 8.0 ... which would be 9th on the season

this O is not that far from turning the corner - if the OL can heal up some they'll be fine

It's nice seeing smart posts for a change. Keep it up.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

4.8 YPA (about 6th)

7.3 YPA (17th)

so by design we base our offense on Zeke and by design we design our offense not to be a passing offense. which means we rely on Zeke and not on Dak. tells me that we don't trust Dak being able to win games passing so we have to manage him and control him and minimize his role in the offense. got it.

which is exactly what I have said from the beginning, so I am glad you are coming to that same conclusion. this is a Zeke based offense. you can plug and play almost any QB and it would function the same. or better.

zenmastersauce

Reaction score
People do entirely too much trying to quatify a metric. I understand that it is used as a way to compare one guy to another but the best and worst thing about some stats is that they only tell part of a story. For context you need alot more. Just like saying that Big Ben (using the INT metric) is a piss poor QB when it is far from the case. Everyone knows big ben is much more than that though he play this year has not been all that great. There are few that have picture perfect years and even smaller on those who have perfect games week in and week out. Thus, what are you trying to say? Because at the end of the day I can tolerate a guy who understands his issues and tries to work hard on those to improve. I will never jump on a guy for having a bad year unless there is a pattern showing a lack of effort that is not there.

zenmastersauce

Reaction score
This guy gets it!!

Nexx

Reaction score
there is no "balling out" when Dak does well. He's managing the game well.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Dak's completion percentage has improved nearly 4 points over last year.

2017 62.9%
2018 66.8%

The entire difference is replacing Bryant with Cooper.

Bryant's targets 52%
all other targets 67%

Cooper's targets 75%
all other targets 66%

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Let's talk about Dak baby.
Let's talk about you and me.
Let's talk about all the good things and the bad things Dak may be.
Let's talk about Dak...
Let's talk about Dak.